Color Sled

Of all my ideas, the one I decided had the most market potential was the Color Sled. I did not find any sleds similar in my research, so leaving the straightforward name "Color Sled" seemed appropriate! Below is my Pugh chart documenting some of the decision making process.

Elevator Pitch!

trim.71A40DC4-7C8C-4954-BFC6-00271B54D322.MOV

Thumbnail image for image.jpg

pugh.pdf

Prelim Idea Evaluation

Marketable

To start this assignment, I went to Facebook, as I'm sure many of us did. I posted a status with the two ideas I was playing around with to see which would be more popular with my Facebook friends, as majority of my social media relationships are with people who would probably enjoy sledding or are close with someone who does. These were my results:

Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.27.34 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.27.51 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.28.09 PM.png

Of all these responses, 16 said they would use the Color Sled, so I chose to move along with this idea. From here, I went and asked these people how much they would be willing to pay for a sled like this, and their responses were this:

pricepoints.png

Their answers ranged from $20-$50, but said their price point could change depending on features and ability to actually use it right away.

The five most marketable ideas, in my opinion, are these:

1. Summer or Indoor Sled
2. Color Sled
3. Racing Paths for sledding
4. Snow Tunnel Structures
5. Snowball Sled (combined with Scoreboard)

Novel

Summer/Indoor Sled
Similar products that already exist that are similar (or the same) as a Summer Sled include water tubes, which range from anywhere between $20 and $250, an actual Summer Sled with wheels for sliding down a grassy hill, that costs about $60.00, and the Alpine Slide, a concrete track that a sled fits in (located in Lutsen, MN), which is $8 for a single ride. The Slicer Sled is the one with ice on the bottom.

The products that I found that are similar to Indoor Sledding would be the Alpine Slide (as it can be built indoors), and actual waxy hills that already exist indoors for sledding. The Snow Centre is a place I came across in my benchmarking that actually provides indoor skiing and snowboarding. A day pass for this would cost around $80.00.

Color Sled
There were no products that I could find in my benchmarking that are anything like Color Sled, so I searched sleds that simply leave unique tracks in the snow. I still found nothing. I came across a "Sheet Sled", $170, that you harness around your waist and use as a workout device. It (obviously) leaves paths in the grass as you drag it, and there is always the typical sled with lines on the bottom to help with speed and friction, and manipulating these lines would be an easy way to create unique designs in the snow. Still, however, nothing in my research involved color in the path making.

Racing Paths
Everyone makes a path in whatever terrain they are sledding in when they go down a hill or pull someone in a sled, but I didn't find any products in my research that are specifically for making paths, are paths, or are for racing sleds. The only thing that I came across that applies to this would be the Alpine Slide, again, $8 per ride. It is a concrete luge like path built down a hill, which guides the sled that you sit in through twists and turns and dips. The sled itself has a handle that you push to go faster (it lifts the tracks on the bottom as to reduce friction), and push to stop (creating friction so you slow down).

Snow Tunnel Structures
I came across the Snowtunnel when researching this one, it is a large icy/snowy tunnel made for snowboarding through (some sort of extreme sport play aspect is applied, not exactly sure how). I am assuming you can go 360ยบ around the tunnel when going through along with other tricks. However, it is a pre-made tunnel, the shape, size, and location are pre-determined. Construction fort by Discovery Kids, $40, is a set of snap together pieces that you can build a structure with, and then put blankets and pillows over to create an indoor fort. It is intended for inside, but could be used in the snow as well. I also came across molds for making shapes and snow castles, like you would on the beach, but this didn't have much relevance when it came to snow tunnels for sledding through.

Snowball Sled
The snowball thrower, a toy gun that shoots snowballs, sells for up to $25, and doesn't have a sledding aspect. However, it is the same concept that would be attached to the sled to project the snowballs. There were other products similar to this, but the only real snowball related sledding activity I came across was just simply throwing snowballs at each other as you ride down the hill.

Patents.
I found a patent related to each idea, some more directly related than others depending on the existing popularity of the ideas.

Summer Sled.png

This is actually a Summer sled, the same idea I had presented earlier in the research.

Flex Runner sled paths.png

The closest patent I could find to a sled creating color paths.

alpine sled.png

Alpine Slide Sled patent relating to racing paths.

Stackable Form.png

Stackable Form patent for snow structures.

launching device.png

Patent for a device that launches snowballs, relating to the Snowball Sled.

2x2 diagrams

Summer Sled:
2x2 1.pdf
Color Sled:
2x2 color sled.pdf
Racing Paths:
2x2 racing.pdf
Tunnel Structure:
2x2 tunnels.pdf
Snowball Sled:
2x2 snowball sled.pdf

Feasible

The main concern I have for the Summer Sled idea, obviously, is that it already exists in more than one form. Another one I came across has a component on the bottom that you actually fill with water, freeze, and sled down a grassy hill.

The biggest concern I have for the Color Paths idea is the production price and the feasibility. It seems to be the most original, however, according to my research so far.

My biggest concern for Racing Paths would be the feasibility in making it original enough, and creating it so it is buildable; so the consumers can create their own paths that aren't permanent that that they can use in their own back yard.

Although there is nothing that I could find that is specifically for creating structures for sledding, the patent for this idea is pretty thorough and could be used for sledding.

The biggest concern for Snowball Sled would be the launching and collecting device itself, seeing as I found no evidence of it being applied to and working with a sled.

Manufacturing Price Assessments

After researching some sled materials, I made the assumption that most sleds were made of polypropylene. Polypropylene, from the site I found, is around $1.25 per pound, depending on the type. Thus, I am able to estimate my manufacturing costs. For a 10 pound sled, which applies to all of my ideas, the analysis goes something like this:

1.25 x 2 = 2.50 x 10 = $25.00

For the sleds that include metals, say, for the tracks on the bottom, I would assume aluminum. It costs roughly 94 cents per pound according to my sources. Thus, a sled with four pounds of aluminum would cost:

.94 x 2 = 1.88 x 4 = $7.52

Therefore, the Summer Sled, Color Sled, and Snowball Sled would probably cost around $25 to manufacture, give or take, assuming they weigh around 10 pounds and don't have metal tracks.

The tunnel structures, assuming one piece is 2 pounds and made of PP, would cost:
1.25 x 2 = 2.50 x 2 = $5.00. A pack of ten pieces would cost around $50.00.

Lastly, the racing paths, assuming they are pieces of plastic you fit together to create a track, and one piece weighs 15 pounds:

1.25 x 2 = 2.50 x 15 = $37.50. A pack of three would cost $112.50 to manufacture (roughly).

Sled

Part One: SCAMPER
Object: Sled

Substitute
"Can I use other Ingredients or materials?"
01 jpg
Flexible Sled
You can shape the sled to any form you want!

Combine
"Can I combine or merge it with other objects?"
02 Jet jpg
Jet Pack Sled
Sled combined with a jet pack so it goes fast, and flies when it hits jumps.

Adapt
"What different contexts can I put my concept in?"
03 jpg
Summer Sled
Sled that has a wax like substance on it so you can sled on the grass, just as fast as you would on snow!

Modify
"What can I add, or how can I add extra value?"
04 jpg
Scoreboard Sled
Add a gaming aspect, like dodging obstacles, and keep score so you can compete with other sledders.

Put To Other Use
"How can an older person use it?"
06 jpg
Wagon Sled
Attach it to the back of a motorized scooter, so it is easier to carry larger quantities of things!

Eliminate
"What if it had less of something?"
07 jpg
Foldable Sled
A foldable sled, with a lighter material (or less material) to make it easier to carry around and up the hill. It could also break into parts to make it more compact and easier to carry.

Reverse
"What if I try doing the opposite of what I originally intended?"
08 jpg
Plow Sled
A sled that goes slow, and plows paths into the snow.

Part Two: TILMAG
Ideal Solution Elements:

• Portable

• Fast

• Comfortable

• Controllable

10 jpg

SCAMMPER New Ideas:

11 sleeping jpg
Sleeping Bag Sled
A sled that allows you to lay inside of a sleeping bag, so you stay warm, and control it like a luge.

12 jpg
Toy Gun Sled
A sled that has Nerf-like guns attached, so you can add a gaming aspect and shoot other players as they sled down the hill as well!

13 jpg
Color Sled
A sled with colors on the bottom or inside, that dye the snow as you ride.

Part Three: Back To Brainstorming
1. Football Sledding
Goals at the end of the hill, you try to tackle the other sledders as they go down as you would in actual Football. Nothing to be changed.

2.Racing Paths
Sleds that carve paths for other sleds. Nothing to be changed.

3. Obstacle Course
Nothing to be changed.

4. Foam Pit Hill
Add something at the top of the hill that launches the sled, so it goes faster. The foam pit will break the landing!

5.Indoor Sledding
Nothing to be changed.

6.Snowball Sled
Add somewhere to store extra snowballs, and something to aim them so they are not shooting randomly.

7.Jump Molds
Nothing to be changed.

8.Scared Safety Sled
Emergency button that deploys an airbag-like bubble around the sled and rider, as well as an emergency break.

9.Sledding Luge
Build your own sleds from an assortment of parts, and race them to see who builds the fastest sled.

10. Boat Sled
A sled for transporting things while ice fishing, if the ice breaks, the sled floats and you can jump in. Can also be used in the Summer.

And here are my ten favorite ideas!

img002.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

img005.jpg\

img006.jpg

img007.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

erin.jpg

I enjoyed this assignment because of the open ended solutions that were allowed, while still keeping it in the range of one object. I think that the methods we learned about in class last week were extremely helpful in coming up with more ideas, and made the process more fun. Although I chose a lot of ideas in my top 10 from the brainstorming session in the previous week, some were from this week's process as well!

Brainstorming!

To begin this assignment, I had to go back and refine my problem statements. I looked over my interviews, and decided that the two things that stood out to me the most were the need or want for faster sledding experiences, and incorporating a game into sledding.

Brandon needs to find a way to make sledding a game because he would like to go sledding with a bigger group of people, while including everyone.

Erik needs a way to make sledding fast and safe, because he likes to get air and go as fast as possible, but it is often unsafe.

Thus, I decided on these two "how might we" questions:

How might we...make sledding a game experience?

and...

How might we...Make sledding more fun?

photo-20.jpg

Brad

will.jpg
Will

jake.jpg
Jake

willmartha.jpg
Martha & Will.

These are my participants! They loved the idea and were much more creative than I had expected :)

I asked each person coming to the brainstorming session these questions and asked them to think about them prior to coming, but before we started brainstorming, we played a game that I came up with to help boost creativity, and help create a playful atmosphere (after buying each of them a beer ;) ).

The game went something like this...

The first person in the circle says a word. The next person not only has to say a word that is opposite, but has to tell a story about that opposite word, somehow incorporating the word the person before them said.

Example:
Will said "noodles",
So Martha has to say an opposite word... she said "Shoes"
"I wore these shoes to a dance, they hurt my feet so I took them off. I danced all night and found myself so tired I just wanted to go home, I went home, ate noodles, and danced with an elephant."

The next person has to tell an unrelated story about the last word Martha said....

"One day I went swimming in the river. I loved it, it was warm, I got a tan, and drank warm beer. We went water skiing, but the tube broke because I invited my friend to tube with us. He was an elephant. This is how I met him: I went to the Zoo and saw a pink elephant. He was super nice so we hung out for a while, His name was Fred and we really hit it off. I got his phone number and he told me he would call, but I saw him at the mall the next day with a bunch of cheetahs, and he never called after that".

Jake then took the word "mall", picked an opposite word, which ended up being "carrot" and told a story about how he loves carrots more than bunnies, and his teeth are sharper... but you can buy teeth sharpeners at the mall, so bunnies are becoming better carrot eaters.

and so on...

This game was actually a really good ice breaker. I have known Martha for a long time, Will is a newer acquaintance of mine, Brad is a friend of my roommate's, and I had never met Jake before the brainstorm. It was the first time any of them had done a brainstorming session, so after explaining the process, the game helped them all to think a little more outside the box!

For the "How might we make sledding a game experience", I chose these ideas to be my favorite:

photo_1.jpg
Football Sledding (Will)
It is what it sounds like: You have special goals that work for the hill, as well as sleds that help to control and steer your actions. Two teams go down the hill at a time, and pass the ball, and do what they can to make a goal for their team.

photo_5.jpg
Racing Paths (Martha)
Ice paths for the sleds so you can race! Kind of like the Giant Yellow Slide at the State Fair, but on ice and snow! Prizes included, of course :)

photo_7.jpg
Obstacle Course (Martha)
Just how it sounds: An obstacle course as you go down the hill!

And for the "How might we make sledding more fun" topic, I chose these to be my favorite:

photo_3.jpg
Foam Pit Hill (Erin)
Imagine the biggest hill ever, and a giant foam pit at the end. Fun, fast, and safe!

photo_4.jpg
Indoor Sledding (Erin)
Who wouldn't want to be able to sled all year round!?

photo_6.jpg
Snowball Sled (Martha)
A snowball fight and sledding in one!

photo_8.jpg
Jump Molds (Erin)
Kind of like the "snap together snow fort" idea from my last entry, but you get to build your own jumps, as big as you want, and know that they won't collapse!

photo_9.jpg
Scaredy Sled (Martha)
A sled that stops if you're scared... genius for kids!

photo_2.jpg
Crazy Luge (Martha)
Like a build your own slide, or a Hotwheel track! You get to build your own track and then ride down it!

photo_10.jpg
Boat Sled (Will)
This one might be a little cold... unless you're sledding down a sand dune

photo.jpg
Snap Together Structure (Erin)
And another from the last entry, we talked about making tunnels with this one to sled through as you go down the hill!

all.jpg

Overall, I think that the process went well. I was not expecting to get such a positive reaction and such involvement from people who haven't done something like this before, but after explaining the process and telling them they got to use markers (ha!) they were all in! I think I got some useful ideas from the group, and will definitely be looking back at the ones I didn't use in this post as well!

Ethnographic Research

After reading through the material prior to starting this assignment, I thought about my topic, sledding, and the things I remember about the activity from when I was young, and what I like about it now. From here, I thought of a series of questions that I then asked a few (fairly random) people. The questions I asked were:
1. Where do you typically go sledding? Why? 2. Do you prefer to go sledding with a group, or with fewer people? Why? 3. What do you enjoy most about sledding? 4. If you could change one thing about sledding (anything!) what would it be and why? 5. Explain your best experience sledding. 6. Explain your worst experience sledding.

ask!
For my first Interview, I talked with someone from a previous class I had taken, who thoroughly enjoys sports and more random activities. The interview went like this:

Brandon

1) Behind a car or bike. It's fast, and adds another fun component to the sport.
2) A group, more opportunity for good times. Anyone drinking and sledding is pretty badass but it's probably more fun with a group. You can race, which adds a gaming aspect to it!
3) The flexibility with it, there aren't any rules. You can make up some rules if you and your friends want to, but you don't have to!
4) Make it a battle to the bottom, with weapons and sticks. More fun, and you are more determined to go faster.
5) Drinking and sledding- makes it way more fun. You are less scared to go fast and more competitive with your friends, although brakes on your sled are always a plus. You want to be able to stop when you want to stop, and steer when you're sledding by trees and other people (especially families).
6) Drinking and sledding- I was going too fast, didn't have brakes or a steering wheel, so I had to jump off.. But the sled wasn't very reliable when it came to staying on a track or being able to predict where it was going to go, so I hit a tree when I jumped off and the sled hit another one.

Interview Two: An acquaintance from Michigan, a Junior at Michigan State University.
Erik

1.) My yard, because there is a dope hill that's super steep. I like to go fast and know that I'm not going to hit anything, or that if I'm going to hit something its going to be something like a snow bank.
2.)a group because I like being around big groups of people, and it's more fun! Plus, there is more likely going to be someone there to carry your sled up the hill.
3.)being with people and having a good time. It can be a social event, not necessarily about just sledding but racing, going fast, and laughing at all the stupid things that tend to happen.
4.) I would change the fact that it must be during winter. I want to be able to sled (or something like it) all year long! Like the alpine slide at Lutsen, but without the tracks. Or something where you can make your own tracks in the grass or sand or something.
5.) my best experience sledding was green acres when i was in 9th grade. we went in a huge group and kept screwing up the toe rope. It was also a better experience because it was tubing, it seems like the material of tubes makes you go way faster and they're more comfortable to ride, but not as easy to control, so you usually end up falling off and sliding down the hill without a sled or tube at all. It also seemed like the snow was more packed down, more like ice. That made it more fun too.
6.) my worst experience sledding was when I went off a jump and hit my lip super hard when I landed. It's hurt like a bitch.. Not to mention the material of the sled was hard so it hurt to hit as well as sit on while going down the hill and over bumps.

And Interview Three: An acquaintance from High School who now lives in Duluth and attends UMD.
Kevin

1. . We live in the country with hills and trees- our driveway growing up was super steep so it was really fun to ride down, but the bottom of it went right into the road and none of our sleds had breaks. They all went super fast but you had to trust that you weren't going to encounter a car when you got to the bottom. The other hill we had went through the woods so you had to steer through the trees using your body weight and leaning side to side. It was really fun with the challenge of having to dodge things on your way down, but if your legs were locked in front of you and you hit a tree on your way down it REALLY hurt. 2. A group because it's more fun! 3. Going over bumps and jumps. It s just hard to find a sled that is durable enough for it! It seemed like all of our sleds were uncomfortable and rigid, and cracked or broke when we used them too roughly (but aren't sleds supposed to be used roughly?!) 4. Sledding in the summer!!!! It would be so cool to be able to sled any time you want, a multiple terrain sled. Not like water skiing. 5. Its fun to sled with younger kids because they get a whole different experience than when you're older. But I also like sledding now friends. We have a couple cocktails and sled without any kids sometimes, and it's a whole different type of fun! Another best experience I had while sledding was when some friends and I got together to have relay races on sleds. We would race down the hill, chug a beer, run back up, and the next person would go! It was super fun, except for the part where you have to carry your sled back up the hill. 6. Worst experience is when I had to poop in the woods.... We were sledding and weren't close to the house or anywhere with a bathroom. I was super young and was wearing a snow suit, and it wasn't easy to take on and off... You can guess the rest!

observe!
For this part of the assignment, I realized it's not really late enough in the season to actually observe the action, considering we have no snow! So, instead, I went on amazon and researched the different types of sleds on the market, and read through the reviews for the five most seemingly innovative and different sleds, and picked out the things that seemed to stick out the most in the reviews.

Sled one: Zipfly Sled
Sled One.jpg

People thought it had an interesting design, and some thought it was a successful one. However, most of the reviews covered things more like the fact that the design makes the sled hard to steer, especially for smaller children, and there are only two tracks on the bottom of the sled, making the sled hard to move, and fairly slow. The design also makes it difficult to carry back up the hill and travel with.

Sled two:Saucer Sled
sled 2.jpg

This one is made of a thick resin that allows it to go fast, but makes it fairly heavy and hard to carry. The circular design makes it rotate while you're sledding, which is fun until you realize that you have absolutely no control over where you're going.

Sled three:Lucky Bums
sled 3.jpg

This one, most people said, was really not safe. It is top heavy which makes it hard for children to use, because they often fall out of the sled. A positive thing they said was that it was easy to steer.

Sled four: Flexible Flyer PT Blaster
Sled 4.jpg

The people who loved this one LOVED it, and the other reviews relayed that they hated it. The positive reviewers said that it was good for hitting jumps and bumps, the design of the sled helped to absorb the impact from landing. It is also durable enough for 200+ pounds, and easy to steer. The other reviewers said it was a cheap quality that only lasted the first use before either the steering wheel or brakes broke. They also said it was extremely hard to assemble due to the very rigid materials.

Sled five: Pelican Sizzler

sled 5.jpg

The reviewers said the tow rope made it easier to use when it came to carrying it up the hill, something the parents much appreciated. The handles allow the rider to steer, but not very well, and the handlebars that serve as brakes look like handles to hold while not going down the hill, so you brake when you don't want to (Design flaw!). They also reviewed that it fills with snow, and doesn't go down the hill very smoothly (if at all). This was for sure the least favored design of all the sleds that I studied.

experience!
Because of our lack of snow and it being so early in the season, I was unable to partake in the activity of sledding, so I decided to pull from past experiences. When I was younger, my siblings and I would sled down the hill in front of my dad's house in Afton. There were trees everywhere, but we were good at carving out pathways through the trees, and we always ended up in the snowbanks in the ditch close to the road. With a hill that steep, it was necessary to have some kind of buffer at the end of the hill. I always wanted to go second or third, because I remember the first person to go (we had the typical plastic sleds with a tow rope and just about no other features) had to struggle to create a path, resulting in a slow, uneventful ride down the hill. The second and third riders got to ride in the track, going faster each time. I remember always wanting my brother to pull me up the hill in the sled (it never happened!) but it would have been possible considering there was a rope on the sled. It made it easier for us to haul things around when we weren't using the sleds for sledding.

next steps!
I noticed a pattern in people wanting the sleds to be universal in age, so kids could use it safely but adults could also use it a little more roughly. Also, I noticed that people want to go as fast as possible and have the option to steer and brake as needed. I think the next step I need to take is decide on a target market for the sled, or if I'm going to try to marked to everyone (kids and adults). From there, I can decide on the most important latent needs, and see where that takes me!

Mind Map / Inventions

I started this process with a mind map and a few episodes of children shows with my niece, which proved to be actually very helpful! My mind map, pictured below, brought about many things I don't directly think of when someone says "Winter", which was interesting considering everyone thinks it is a very straight forward topic (especially since we live in Minnesota :p).

Mind Map.jpg

img001.jpg

This was my first idea. "No Slide Spike Pants": A pair of snowpants that have spikes that come out when you pull a string! This would be for when you are skiing, snowboarding, sledding, or any other winter sport, and you wipe out. When you pull the string and the spikes come out, your pants stop you from sliding down the hill! It was a combination of snow pants, and a solution to scraping ice.

img003.jpg

My second idea, "Freeze Trax", a sled with a light and hose on the front, would make sledding so much more fun (and dangerous!) the hose would spray water or a gel agent onto the snow in front of you, making the sled go extra fast. This idea came from combining winter sports with ice, and thinking about how every kid wants to go as fast as they can on a sled.

img005.jpg

Color Tracks! My third idea, would, when you hit your breaks and create friction on the ice with your tires, create colorful lines and patterns on the ice where you slid! Not the most practical idea, but it could be cool, right? Everyone loves color, and hates sliding in their car.. Why not try to make sliding a little more enjoyable?

img007.jpg

Liquid Build-A-Maze would be cool for little kids, maybe? Say you have a big snow bank, and want to do something with it but carving tunnels isnt a practical idea at the moment, you could use Build A Maze in the bottle and start at the top of the snow bank, pour it on, and see what designs and maze tunnels are carved out that you can then race things (like marbles) down!

img009.jpg

Co-Z-Mits: You'll never have to worry about your hands and toes getting cold from sticking out from under the covers. When you come in from a cold snowball fight, you can crawl into bed, slip your hands and feet into the built in mittens and socks, and sleep warmly! A combination of cold weather, and wanting to be cozy.

img002.jpg

My sixth idea, Spike Sled, has spikes on the bottom of a typical looking sled that would carve a track in the ice and snow as you ride down a hill, so when someone else comes down on another spike sled, or you want to ride down again, you can take the same path, and create cool designs to ride down the hill on!

img004.jpg

This one is for the architects at heart: Snow Fort Skeleton. It is snap pieces that you can put together to create the structure you always wanted your snow fort to be when you were a kid, and then cover it with snow. you could make castles, igloos, or just crazy forts with this!

img006.jpg

Confetti Lights would be the perfect addition to any holiday party. Just string them up, and when they sense someone walking by (by way of a motion detector), they shoot confetti and streamers out of the light bulbs!

img008.jpg
"Heat-A-Cup Snow Shoes": This one is for the lover of fitness, and snow shoeing. The faster you snow shoe, the warmer your hot cocoa (or any warm beverage) becomes!

img010.jpg

For my last idea, I came up with a pair of snow shoes that have heat radiating from the bottom, and called them "Melt-A-Path Snow Shoes". This would allow a more lazy snow shoer to still do the sport- without having to trek through the heavy snow! The shoes would actually melt the shoer a path through the snow, getting them to their destination and creating a path leisurely and timely.

The three sub categories I chose were: Snow Pants and Mittens, Sledding, and Ice.

PB Banana & Mojito Cookies!

I decided that I would take two paths on this assignment: a more traditional path where I knew the ingredients would work well, and work well in a cookie as far as taste, and a less traditional method with a more unconventional taste.

Cookie One: Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana cookies. I started with a peanut butter cookie base: peanut butter, flour, brown sugar, egg, etc. I decided to leave the milk out because when I mashed up the bananas with my hands (four of them), they almost became liquified. Even leaving the milk out there was too much liquid in the dough, so I had to add an extra cup and a half of flour!

I rolled the dough into balls thinking that since they were so moist, they would flatten out when I baked them. After baking for about 7 minutes, I checked the cookies and they were not flattening like I had hoped, so I pressed each cookie with a fork. Some of them didn't flatten like I was thinking they would, because they were so hot. Next time, I would press them before baking them at all!

I continued to bake them for about another 2 to 3 minutes, let them cool, and added the frosting.

photo-10.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-6.jpg

The "frosting" on these cookies is a mixture of Nutella and peanut butter (where the chocolate comes into play).

Cookie Two: Mojito cookies

For the mojito cookies, I chose to use a simple sugar cookie base recipe. Flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and egg were used, as well as mojito flavored drink mix and lime juice. The cookies came out looking just like sugar cookies; but definitely not tasting the same! They have a sort of zing to them. For the frosting, I used a simple vanilla frosting and mixed in the mojito flavoring as well as more lime juice. The garnish on the top is a mint leaf, to carry on the theme of the mojito.

I decided to not substitute any ingredients, but to just add ingredients to the recipe, and it ended up working pretty well!

photo-12.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-17.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Overall, I was very surprised by this assignment. I was expecting to have an extremely difficult time, and as it was definitely not an easy task, I didn't end up totally butchering either recipe! (Or burning any cookies ;)).

Recent Comments

• burks032: I really like the graphic you created for this idea, read more
  • cospe002: Hi Erin, Using Facebook for a survey makes me concerned read more
  • crimm013: Overall, your post was really thorough and organized! I liked read more
  • degro085: Yeah, sorry for being late as well. No internet over read more
  • dyexx061: I also apologize for my comment being late. I really read more
  • dunba043: First off, sorry for being so late to comment!! My read more
  • grang074: Your warm-up game sounds complicated, but interesting. It seems like read more
  • fadne019: I was right there with you with the feelings that read more
  • enins001: Where did you guys meet? I hope you made quite read more
  • hafte004: I think you did a great job interviewing people. You read more

Recent Assets

• image.jpg
  • launching device.png
  • Stackable Form.png
  • alpine sled.png
  • Flex Runner sled paths.png
  • Summer Sled.png
  • pricepoints.png
  • Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.28.09 PM.png
  • Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.27.51 PM.png
  • Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 5.27.34 PM.png