Fab Following

DSCN3993.JPG

Continue reading "

Fab Following

" »

Technopoly

American_Gothic02.jpg

Continue reading "

Technopoly

" »

Perceptual Math

math.gif
We are surrounded by and interact with design everyday. These designs are created and subject to math. Skate boarding for example involves the calculation of the mechanical parts of the skateboard. These calculations are done with the typical math that we are all familiar with; numbers, variables and equations. However there is another set of calculations involved in skate boarding that doesn't have a set equation of numbers or variables. This is our natural ability to calculate trajectory without the standard numbers or variables but instead with our sensory. We simply, or complexly, use our sensory perceptions as the variables in our personal equations to calculate how far we will travel and how long we are airborne. Of course everyone’s calculations are different but that’s why sum of us are better at judging trajectory than others.

Community Exchange

Dumpster.JPG
My conflict rises from this eye sore that I have to look at almost daily. It makes our town homes look horrible. The dumpsters are constantly overflowing and items are laid in front or along side. Some of the items left in front of the dumpsters are still good items that people leave out so someone can use them. There are two blue cans to the left for recycling. However, people continue to throw garbage into them. I don’t know if they are to lazy to walk all the way to the dumpsters or think that they are trash cans.
My proposal to solve this conflict is to let the conflict (neighbors) shape the form. In other ways rethink and redesign the layout of the dumpsters.

Continue reading "

Community Exchange

" »

Playing with FIRE

sqaw_lake_fire.gif

It took me a long time to come up with a phenomenon. I wanted to write about one that truly relates to me as well as fascinates me. This weekend while staying at a friend’s cabin in Squaw Lake it dawned on me, fire. The sun was setting and we were getting ready to light the fire. Why were we all gathering around anticipating this ritual? We didn’t need to cook our food, warm ourselves, or dispose of any materials! So what is it that about fire that attracts us? I will explore the phenomenon of fire and how it attracts us.

According to Wikipedia.com fire is made of four major components as identified by fire tetrahedron: oxygen, heat, fuel and chain reaction. Without any one of these components the fire will seize to burn. The amount and or type determine the characteristics of the fire. A fire is caused when a flammable or combustible material is subjected to the right mixture of heat and oxygen.

Fire can be classified as several things: colorful, hot, powerful, damaging, healing, controllable and uncontrollable. I know some of these may be contradicting but they’re true. Controlled fires are used to burn under brush in forests prone to drought fires. However, when one of the components becomes uncontrolled they all become uncontrolled.
What attracts us?
The ability to control this unpredictable and powerful tool makes us feel like masters of our domain. At the same time we admire the play and dance of shapes and colors. Its heat and glow gives us a sense of security. It is so welcomed into our lives we invite it into our homes and even carry it in our pockets. Whatever the situation, all these reasons and given attributes play a role in our fascination with fire.

The St. Croix River

Picture 132.jpg

I’m not going to start with a mystical, magical picture of a place of mystery making you want to know where this Eden is. I’ll tell you, it’s the St. Croix River, but here within lies the problem. You may be able to get to the St. Croix but will you visit the same St. Croix that I do.
The St. Croix River is more than a geological position on the map. I grew up along the western Wisconsin and Eastern Minnesota riverbanks. It has become my stomping grounds. Every year I take an annual trip down the St. Croix. I have a hard time sleeping the night before I go on the canoe trip down the river. Just the thought of the river instantly transports me there. It sparks memories of past adventures and brings a smile to my face; the cool water flowing down river the occasional fish jumping out of the water. It doesn’t mater if I’m on the river or sitting on the patio of the restaurant along the shores, my worries wash down stream.
Our canoe trip is the apex of its genius loci. When we launch off the river banks we feel like a bunch of caged animals busting loose from the confines of the city. Nothing ties us down; we leave all watches and phones behind. Time transforms from hours to days and we become primitive indigenes of the river.

Life Beyond The Grave

Yes you can live on after your death. I’m not talking through the means of religion but through organ donation. According to organdonor.gov over 92,000 people are currently waiting for organ donation and 19 of these people die each day while waiting. There is a high demand for donors. However people are reluctant to become donors due to several fears: religious, too old, disfigurement, or even prospective donor may not be provided optimum health care. Most of these are due to the lack of knowledge of the donation process. You are never too old to donate; the removal of organs is a normal surgical procedure: the doctors who work in the emergency room are different than the doctors who remove the organs . If your concern is that you don’t want you organs to go to someone who themselves is not a donor but needs a transplant then you can register at Life sharers.org. Life sharers is an organization that is designed to make sure your organs are donated to other donors first. I think the main reason why people aren’t donors is because it hasn’t affected them.

While it hasn’t affected me either but I chose to donate; to me it makes perfect sense, I won’t need them when I’m dead and it will save someone’s life. I have to admit I never even thought of organ donation until a woman gave a speech in my oral communication class about her brother-in-law who died while waiting for a transplant. Here I was a perfect candidate without the knowledge of the impact of organ donation. I would want my organs to go to someone who needed them but if I died on my way home that night it wouldn’t happen. Maybe you’re just like me and never thought of it before. We allow this to happen more ways than one.

One solution is an opt-out system. The U.S. has what’s called an opt-in donor registration system in which an individual needs to register as a donor via license, will or any other legal means in order to become a donor. With The opt-out system people are automatically registered as donors but reserve the right to remove there names from the registry. This idea would definitely increase the amount of donors and the lives saved.

Finally, not all donations need to be transplanted when you are deceased. Many organs or tissues can be donated at any time: bone marrow, skin, kidneys, sections of liver and even as simple as blood. If you are interested or want to become a donor check-out the links above.

Continue reading "

Life Beyond The Grave

" »

Midtown Market

global_market.JPG
When handed this assignment I already had pictures in my head of what the market was going to be like. However when arriving I was definitely wrong. I wasn't expecting it to be as clean as it was. I imagined a poorly lit compacted warehouse. I was wrong. The Market was clean & well mapped out and of course full of a social energy.

Various booths selling merchandise or food relative to their culture, Hispanic, Asian, Native American and Scandinavian. People were exploring through the merchandise with wonder in their eyes as if discovering something new and exciting. Venturing a little further one is able to explore and indulge in exotic foods. Latin music was being played in the center court; people dancing laughing and having a good time.

!?

july06-201.gif