Journal entry

Throughout my research in finding pre-1700 Russian theatre, it was difficult to find large amount of information that would go in depth about one specific area within our topic. The research that we had been discovering was only at the surface of what needed in order to dig deep. As we continued to bring our research together, we realize the huge impact religion played. We also wanted to see why there was a lack of documentation during the pre-1700s. Being that religion seemed to have a huge influence in crafting the Russian theatre, our group assign each other specific areas that we thought could further and deepen our scope on pre-1700 Russian Theatre.
My area of focus was Academies in Russia that were producing religious theater. With my findings, I found very little or things that were irreverent in what I wanted to focus on. Even googling up the name of academies did not help much either. I was reading a book called Russian Theater From the Empire to the Soviets. It talked about an academy called the Kievan Theological Academy. This academy did numerous biblical enactments divided into two parts: the religious representation and a scene from current life at the time. Many of these enactments took place at church. Some popular acts were Jesus on The Donkey, The Last Judgment, and Drama of the Burning Furnace. In the beginning of the 17th century, only the academic or school of drama of Catholic origin, introduced by Ukraine from Poland had trained actors/actresses. These plays would last for three to more acts. It was presented in first in Latin then Russian. The main focus of these plays was to enforce standardized religious views and moral values. Then the plays had no hell, only heaven and earth (yet this is still uncertain). Sometimes the cast would perform olays on the road and in return get food, drinks, and clothing. During the second half of 17th century, Tsar Alexey had reform theatre. Tsar's affiliation to theatre helped put theatre more in the spot light. First performance was on October 17, 1672.
Throughout my research, I have found that all of the information overlapped one another. One specific piece of information could not be discussed without religion; therefore, religion was something we knew that we had to discuss in our presentation. Another huge thing was the gap or as our group has been labeling it, the hole, it played a huge mystery in our research. Fitting the puzzles together on why our research was so difficult to find yet it helped us narrow our research.