« Fall | Main | Service Learning »

the difference between iron and steel

Iron is an element, steel is an alloy. Steel is made from Iron. It is an alloy made up of iron and carbon. Other metals can also be added to steel to produce alloys with different characteristics. For instance steel with chromium added is stainless steel. Unlike regular steel it doesn’t rust. Steel is used extensively in buildings. Steel beams, studs, nails, bolts, doors, and siding are commonly used in residential construction. I believe rerod and wire mesh used in cement is made of iron. In larger buildings steel is used even more in the structures of the buildings. Iron was used first, then cast iron, then wrought iron, and now steel. We use steel instead or iron because its stronger than iron; superior in tension and compression.

Thanks for your small but helpful tidbit on Steel... it sure is an amazing resource!

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! rkzyqksbtedjk

It is fantastic

Thank you! Very helpfull!

hi thanks for small and detile ifnormation about steel and iron. thanks thanks thanks

You must realize that iron has to be used in certain situations because it is lighter than steel and has l lot of the same strengths. (ductile iron)

Cheers... This Gave Me All The Info I Needed To Do My Geography Homework On The Differences Between Steel And Iron

HIII
TY FOR THE HELP
BYE

TAKE CARE

MWAH

thanks, it is very helpful.

this website is s**t

Cheers

good for my dt homework

thanx, i needed that.

ty very this was so very helppful!!!1

hey dude, thanks for that , ja tak . hehe

hey, thanks for dumbing it down a bit for me :)
Wikipedia is a bit too scientific sometimes :)
-Claire x.

i find very good explaination of my question.

HE'S NOT ALL RIGHT . . . . . IRON ARE BETTER THAT STEEL IN COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH . . . . DONT BELIVE ME THEN PICK UP DESIGN DATA BOOK OF ENGINEERING MATERIAL AND SEE THERE . . . . AND . . . STEEL IS BETTER IN TENSILE STRENGTH

basically . . . iron and steel are both derivatives of . . IRON ORE (raw form). . .iron ore is melted PIG IRON is obtained which is of no engineering use . . which is the used to make IRON and STEEL.. . . . . STEELS are iron . . or can be called as allows but what makes it to be called as steel is the carbon percentage . . . it contains . . 0.5 to 1.5 % carbon . . . anything above 1.5% carbon is called iron

OMG THNX SOOOOOOOOO MUCH I REALLY NEEDED THAT FOR MY SCIENCE COURSEWORK WORK WHOOO A* IM SOO BRAINY -_-

thnks..
for giving those information!!
nice 1!!

very good yaar

This is really good
how did you know all this stuff
i want to make love to u and this infomation

Thanks SO much for the information you gave me... i know a lot more thanks to you!

this is a very helpful site

Thankyou so much for the infomation I have often wondered
what the difference was,I can
now air my knowledge.
Regards P.H.R.

Hey thanks this helps me heaps :)

it is helpful for me. thankyou very much.