Try a blog?

This is to see if a blog might be a useful tool as we revamp the Education web site. This was the original email on this topic:

On Jul 21, 2005, at 12:27 PM, Karen Plass wrote:

Hi. Our current departmental web site has served us well since its creation. Since then, however, web development and browsers have evolved. It's time to embrace the more modern code that powers web sites being used by UMD, CESHP and many others. I plan to start working on a revamp of our web site next week.

Goals include the following:
* Remove old pages that are no longer being used
* Revise the navigation links (categories) to improve usability for students and faculty
* Improve accessibility
* Standardize file names
* Simplify the site's structure (organization)
* Devise a new "look" that will probably be a combination of what we have now (i.e., the blue "Russian dolls") and the CEHSP and/or UMD sites

I want to let you know this is happening, and that I am interested in your suggestions and concerns. If you want to talk about them early on, please let me know! When the new site gets far enough along, it will be online for review and feedback. The public will continue to see the existing site until we are ready to switch.

I'd like to start with feedback from this small group, do some revisions, and then have something for the whole faculty to look at when they come back, the last week in August. I hope to see us using the new site in Sept., but I've been cautioned that this is a big job, and that it's probably not feasible to do it that quickly. If it's not ready for the start of the semester, our next logical transition time would be after the program admission deadline and before advising starts.

This message is going to the program coordinators and several other folks. Feel free to forward this email to any other key people I've missed, and send me their name for future updates. If you know student(s) who should be involved, please feel free to send their name(s) and contact information also.

Thanks!

Posted by kplass at July 21, 2005 12:27 PM