Tenth Face: The Final Face
As I reflect back on the things that I've been taught by Washington Avenue this year, I realize that just as much of my education came from the interactions and observations on a street as in a classroom. I've composed somewhat of a list that I feel encapsulates the most important bits of knowledge that I've gained:
1. Burger King is safe between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. To visit at any time before or after the designated hours is to put oneself in imminent danger.
2. The Harvard Market is safe between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. The aforementioned Burger King rules apply here as well.
3. ZLB Plasma Services is never safe. Ever. At no point should any person enter the doors or approach within five feet of the entrance.
4. Chipotle is quite possibly the most influential, inspirational, and important chain restaurant in existence. It provides hearty portions at affordable prices...all in a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
5. The Tea Garden is a hidden treasure. There is nothing like the specially packaged vegan cookies that cost more than two dollars. I recommend the peanut butter ones.
6. Noodles is overrated and unenjoyable. The portions are marginally satisfying. I would suggest Chipotle for roughly the same price.
7. The bald man in the barbershop is either always sweeping the floor, reading a magazine, or talking on the telephone. I have never in fact seen him cutting someone's hair.
8. Jamba Juice is an unnecessary addition to Washington Avenue. There is one no more than two blocks away, in Coffman Union. I think Jamba Juice should be removed from its Washington Avenue location and replaced with another Chipotle.
9. Traffic light regulations do not apply during school hours. By "traffic light regulations" I mean blinking orange hands.
10. There are far too many establishments that serve coffee and/or breakfast pastries. A simple solution would see at teast three of them eliminated and replaced by new restaurants.
11. The empty space across from Dairy Queen and Erbert and Gerbert's could be filled with a fresh set of eateries; like a new Chipotle perhaps.
12. There is something to be offered for everyone on Washington Avenue. Whether it be appetizers from Applebee's, a latte from Starbuck's, a checking account from TCF Bank, or a burrito from Chipotle, all forms of hunger can be satisfied.