Bi-Weekly Report #5: "Lesson Plan Tips & Ideas"

-Now that we are starting our first lesson plan for our animation projects, I found a great website that shows 5 important steps in how to make a successful lesson plan that will make your lesson run smoothly. The first step they talk about is starting out with something that is small and easy to do if you aren't familiar with incorporating technology in your classroom. The more simple that it is for you, the easier it will be for your students.
-The second step is to learn the material yourself. The more you know it, the more you will be comfortable teaching it to your students. It's very frustrating to students when the teacher doesn't even know what s/he is doing and for the record, your lesson will probably not be too successful.
-The third step is to actually plan your lesson on paper. Make sure to write down every step so that it's an easy guideline for you to refer to if you get off track or forget what is next. A step-by-step list is so important when teaching a lesson, it's a great tool to make sure your lesson goes as planned. Also when writing your lesson plan, jot down notes of problems that you encountered and how you fixed them just in case your students have the same problems. Basically, a lesson plan is for you to write down everything possible to make sure your teaching day goes smooth and is successful. In the end, you and your students will be pleased with the outcome. Sloppy lesson plans will make the whole day a mess and a frustration for your students.
-The fourth step is to get help and support from peers or professionals if you are using a technology tool that you aren't used to. This will ensure that all questions and problems you have can be quickly answered and you will feel more comfortable when using the technology equipment when teaching your lesson. We have to remember that we are always learning from others and that it doesn't hurt, even as teachers ourselves, to ask for help when learning something new. If you want to be a successful teacher, we have to acknowledge that we are constantly learning to keep up with the digital world.
-The fifth step is to be organized. The more organized you are, the better the lesson and day will go. Make sure you have all supplies ready and that you have a back up plan if something goes wrong. Some tips this website listed were: reserve the computer room in advance to make sure you have a guaranteed spot to do your lesson, make sure the equipment you are using is working properly ahead of time, and make sure you have enough materials so that every student can do the lesson (unless group work is involved). Reading over your lesson plan several times is also a great way to be prepared. If possible, do the lesson step-by-step on your own or with another teacher to see if the flow is successful.
-All these steps are important when teaching a new lesson that is technology and/or digital based especially if it's new to you as well. The more you are prepared, the better it will turn out for both you and your students. Remember, you can never be over prepared!!

Link to website:

http://theapple.monster.com/benefits/articles/8058-5-lesson-planning-tips-for-incorporating-technology

Benefits:
Having a lesson plan for each day is so beneficial. It makes your day run very smooth and you have everything in a written document so you can't go off track (not very easily anyway!). It's a reference you can always go back to make sure you are heading in the right direction. Another plus of a lesson plan is that you can always reuse it in the future and tweak it if something didn't go so well. It's a great reference to share with other teachers as well. In the long run, having a lesson plan only benefits you and your students and you will be happy that you did one no matter what. It makes a teacher's life way more stress free!

Drawbacks:
There aren't many drawbacks of having a lesson plan that I could come up with. The only one really is that if your lesson plans are very disorganized and messy, your lesson could go very wrong and be frustrating to both your students and yourself. So, keep your lessons organized and tidy and you won't have any problems!

In My Own Classroom:
For every lesson that I teach, I will follow those 5 important steps to make sure that I can be the best teacher I can be. I want my students to benefit from every lesson I teach and I want them to find a purpose of why I do each lesson. If I know what I am doing at all times, my students will feel comfortable to ask me questions without hesitation and know that I am doing my best in teaching them the material. Lesson plans are the best things that ever happened to a teacher's career!

Here are some links to examples of lesson plans for digital projects:

1.http://www.khake.com/page87.html

2.http://www.lessonplanet.com/lesson-plans/digital-media

**here is YouTube tutorial to go along with this website above:

3.http://www.sldirectory.com/libsf/resf/techplans.html

4.http://digitalartanddesign.org/ (my favorite!)

Citation:

Sasson, Dorit. "5 Lesson Planning Tips for Incorporating Technology." The Apple. 2011. Web. 8 Nov. 2011.

All of these tips are essential. I have had my fare share of classes that didn't go as planned. Simple things like not charging a camera battery, forgetting my projector adaptor, or not reviewing the software before class has caused some classes that didn't flow the best. That said no matter how much you plan you are always going to have those days. They do get better the longer you teach!

Can you imagine what we would do in the digital art workshop if none of the camera batteries were charged? It wouldn't be good.

The other thing that I think is nice about these websites is that you can use other people's lesson plans. Or use them as inspiration for your own. I don't think that anyone needs to start for scratch. There are so many great resources out there that we should use and learn from.