« oppositions | Main | technopolies »

Geometry (in part because it’s the only math I feel even slightly competent talking about)

The beauty of architecture derives from its reliance on geometry. There is some sort of ingrained appreciation in humans for it, that induces sheer joy at the sight. Must have something to do with natural selection, but that’s a completely different tangent. As math derives its aloofness from its lack of reliance on tangibility, some would call geometry the basest of all maths. Calculus sneers at it, and number theory won’t even deign to interact with it. But all this contempt lies in the fact that their foundations rest upon it, as do the foundations of all of our structures. Geometry is the language that architects communicate by, and that which lends buildings their elegance. Strip a building of all symbolic, ideological and cultural meaning and its beauty will still stand alone on geometry. It’s the most instinctual form of architectural appreciation there is. Upon choosing the field of architecture, I realize I have made a lifelong foe by the name of math. But among its other sweet capabilities, architecture can turn even math into something tangible and beautiful and tangibly beautiful. Here are some examples. As Lance Lavine would say, doesn’t looking at this just give you intense sexual pleasure?
geometry.JPGgeometry1.gif
geometry2.jpggeometry3.JPG
geometry4.JPG