Recently in Analysis Category

Records Analysis

I found a story on www.nicar.org about how the White House has lost some of it's records on who has come to visit. The story is based on looking through the log of people that must provide their names and reasons for visiting the White House. Someone noticed that there were many names that are not there, and some names thats shouldn't be there. Since these records were held as reliable for so long, it makes people question whether or not they have always been accurate. The reporter would have needed to have access to the records online and have had computer skills for researching the subject to find if this was true. They also posted a text link in their story to a picture, which also requires some computer skill.

Cultural Story Analysis

In an article I read in the Star Tribune on adopting children with HIV, they discussed a couple who was intentionally adopting someone from Ethiopia with HIV. They talked about what they might need to teach him and what he may already know.

Amy, an Eritrean sophomore at the University of Minnesota-
There aren't any stereotypes that she saw in the article. Ethiopia and Eritrea have millions of people with aids and articles like this continue to bring awareness to the issue in that area, Amy said. The fact that the couple was willing to help out and adopt says a lot of good things about them. It is important that Ethiopia is not forgotten. The lack of knowledge on medication and the difficulty finding resources in Ethiopia justifies the couple questioning how much the boy knew about his disease.

Numbers Analysis

The article I picked was from the Star Tribune about Boehner and a budget compromise. Since the story is about a budget they use numbers to talk mostly about money in this article. The reporter used number mostly in dollar amounts and by rounding like saying "around $33 billion," and "more than $60 billion." The reporter also used number in quotes like "We control one half of one third of the government here in Washington," and in an exact number count like "the 87 freshmen Republicans."

I do not think that the numbers in this story are overwhelming because for the most part the reporter rounded to make it easier to look at, and wrote comparison phrases. I do not think that the reporter had to use much math to find these numbers, mostly just rounding up or down and searching for the right amounts. The only source that I found to the numbers listed was Biden, like when he said "confirmed by Biden." The rest of the numbers I suppose could be found by anyone because it's public information.

Analysis: Obit

The obituary I read was written by the Star Tribune about Wilver A. Lee.

The sources used were a homicide investigator that knew Lee, the former vice chair of the city's Civil Rights Commission, and Lee's daughter.

It does not have the standard lead that includes the name, something notable, and when he died. The lead for this story starts by telling the reader something about the deceased. In this case, the reporter just seemed to want to let the reader know why this person in prominent enough to receive this story.

This lead works because it is interesting to know that he was one of only a few black cops when he joined the force. Writing this gets the readers attention and makes them curious to know a little more.

This differs from a resume because it doesn't go into specific detail about everything Lee has done, it mostly just focuses on the main point of the story that I believe the author was trying to make, which is that he was one of very few black cops and that he wanted integration.

Speech Analysis

In the story written by CNN Money on Gov. Scott Walker's speech about his two-year budget plan, the reporter made a choice to explain more what the budget and budget repair bill will bring. In the press release, it shows that Walker made an emphasis on why he wanted to pass the budget repair bill. Walker said over and over that he wanted to make these changes for the future and for the children. He focused more on the two-year budget and what benefits that would bring. The story for CNN focused the story on explaining how the budget repair bill and the budget will actually work together because that is what the public needs to understand. This is news worthy because it explains to the readers how it will effect them. The reporter choose not to focus much on the "helping the children" angle that Walker emphasized so much.

Multimedia Analysis

I compared the Star Tribune website to the CBS Minnesota website. The multimedia that both have photo galleries, videos, and audio slideshows. The Star Tribune also had podcasts, news graphics, and just audio clips. These types of multimedia complement news stories because they allow the reader to see whats happening instead of just trying to picture it in their head. The can give more of a description when the audience can hear and see the news and get an accurate sense of the situation. Being able to see a dog show, and just reading the details are two different things. Visuals and audio complement a news story very well.

In the photo galleries, there are very short but detailed paragraphs about what is going on in the picture and the basic outline of the story, similar to a lead. The slideshows don't have very much writing except for a short describing paragraph on the side similar to that of the pictures. There doesn't need to be much writing, because the photos and audio decribe enough.

Spot/Follow Analysis

The story that I looked at was the one that covered the protest in Wisconsin over the bill that was being voted on (in the Star Tribune). The lead is the same. The story is pretty much the same, with the exception of added specifics like number of people, and the story also talks more about the event in past tense. They also added that the bill was passed and the crowd broke into tears, which is an important update, because when I read it the first time they were still waiting for a vote on the bill. The second day story just adds more detail and includes things that have changed, but the basics of the story remain the same. The paragraphs are generally in the same order besides the couple that have been added and had stuff added to them.

Structure Analysis

In the story i read about the 83-year-old arrested for selling khat out of the trunk of his car, I noticed structure in the little amount of information they had. The first paragraph had all the important information of the story (the lead of course). Next, the second paragraph went in to detail about what khat is and who likes it. This made sense to me because even as I was reading the headline, I was wondering what "khat" was. The second paragraph tells more detail about the story and answers questions that the reader has. The third paragraph tells how the man was reported and who called the police. The last paragraph talks more about the drug and the fact that it has no medical use.

Most of that article is just a summary of what happened and doesn't go into too much detail. I'm assuming the reason there isn't very much detail is because the other information was either boring or just unnecessary to know. The way the story is ordered is effective because it's not very long, but one way to change it would be to put the two paragraphs that talk more about the drug together because they are similar fact blocks.

Attribution Analysis

The story from the Star Tribune about the woman who tried to mail her puppy, uses about four different sources.

The sources are generally scattered through the story. The reporter named two random upset citizens, authorities, and the manager for Minneapolis' Animal Care and Control. As you can see, all the information is from people.

The reporter attributed people by saying "said", I would say it was pretty half and half whether she put the noun before or after "said". She sometimes waited after long quotes to say who was speaking which was confusing.

The fact that the Reporter used random sources that did not seem to have any credibility made the story a little confusing because I kept wondering who the people that were talking were and why they were important to the story. I felt that a couple of the sources could have been left out, and it would have made the story more clear.

News Lead

A news lead in a story basically sums up the story in one to two sentences. The lead of the story has the action of the story and it tells you to who, what, when, and where.

This is the news lead from the Star Tribune on the story about the shooting in Cedar-Riverside Monday:

"Two men were wounded in a drive-by shooting Monday outside a bustling community center in Minneapolis' Cedar-Riverside neighborhood."

This lead includes the who (underlined), the what (bolded), the when (italisized), and the where (underlined).

The lead is specific enough for the reader to know what's happening in the story (like two men, and drive-by shooting), but not so specific that they have all the information of the story. The reader knows that the men were injured which is important, but saying that they were "wounded" is general so they would need to read on.

I noticed that the lead is just the most important information from the story, surrounded by graphic adjectives like "bustling".

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analysis category.

International News is the next category.