« Walking and Cycling | Main

At Crossroads

Although the cars normally cruise at speeds of 60 miles/hr [thats 100 km/hr] on the freeways, the traffic on the city roads is very much controlled. 'Polite' is the governing word to describe the attitude of people behind the wheels.I have not heard a single car honking in my week here. Nor do the bicycles have bells.If everyone follows the rules to the T, then there is no need of horns.

There are separate signals for pedestrians everywhere and the everyone follows them. Even the cars :). Walking on the road is gauche. And crossing the road at will as in India is a strict no-no.It falls under jay walking and carries a fine of 100$. Whew! Also, at zebra crossings and at corners without signals, the right of way is with the pedestrians. That was such a jaw-dropping idea to us Indians that our mind simply refused to accept that a car cruising at 80 kph will screech to a halt even if you are just waiting on the footpath at a zebra crossing and wait patiently till you amble across. It makes us blush ! Now, I have an inkling of how intimidated these guys must feel by Indian driving. Cows goofing on the road, dogs running across, people honking and changing lanes indiscriminately. That is a war zone!

So u have documented ur arrival here...and detached the excess baggage in india itself..read(blogspot.com).