Steve's thoughts on court story

This was my favorite story to report on. With court stories, if you do enough research, you can often find that perfect human element to give the story some emotion. Flipping through more than a hundred civil suits in the Hennepin County District Court House was rough. The majority of the suits I paged through dealt with angry creditors who had not yet received their money from either poor or stubborn citizens ¾ nothing newsworthy in the least. Having to decipher legal jargon made it that much harder to find a story. As with any court document, the incident is written in a format that won’t make sense to you unless you have some background in law. When I first saw the court document that I would eventually write about, I didn’t know what the problem was. The front page just showed who was suing who. I noticed one person was bringing a legal suit against several large clothing companies. I thought to myself, ‘why would anyone sue a clothing company?’ After paging through 20 pages of legal jiberish, something caught my eye. I noticed one of the charges was listed as negligence for manufacturing flammable clothing. As I read a little further, I saw that someone had actually been burned when his ‘outdoor clothing’ caught fire. A burn victim was by far the best thing I had come across. When the receptionist at the desk printed out a copy of the document for me, she told me it would be $5. After paying out the ass for parking, I only had two bucks left on me. I though I was screwed, but with my smooth demeanor and a little sweet talkin’, I walked out of the building without paying a cent for the case documents.

After thoroughly going through the case report, I contacted the attorneys for the plaintiff. Apparently, lawyers can be buy folk and a little hard to track down. After several attempts at reaching the lawyers and not just their secretary, I finally caught the lead attorney in-between meetings. After drilling him on some of the essential details of the story, I found out that the plaintiff was a 7-year-old boy and the “outdoor clothes? were his pajamas. It was a sad story, but I felt as if I had struck gold. One thing that I had to understand was why the child was suing his parents. It was the father’s lighter that ended up burning young Austin, but I couldn’t believe that a boy would simply sue his parents. The attorney, Paul, explained to me through a long wind of lawyer speak that bringing charges against the parents, as well as the other corporations, Austin and his family would stand a better chance at winning the case. It was difficult to phrase it simply in the story, but as I put it:

“As a legal strategy, Austin’s attorneys are bringing charges against parents Amy and Blayne so they can have some control over which tactics the defense’s attorneys might use against them in the case. Strandness explained the goal is to make Amy and Blayne appear less at fault to the jury.?

I still think it could have been explained better, but I think I managed to get the idea across.

The path I took with the story was to tell how the corporations allegedly at fault manufactured clothing that was not in compliance with fire safety standards. With a little digging, I was able to find annual reports from Consumer Product Safety Commission. The report was full of great stuff. It gave me my statistics on the yearly total of children burned from their clothing catching fire, clothing which did not pass the flammability tests subjected to its fabrics. I thought it was a great tangent to go off on and probably the most logical one.

The perfect addition to my story would have been pictures to go along with it. If I would have met Austin, I would have liked to get a shot of him playing with his burn scars visible. Although some papers might find that in poor taste, I think it would really show readers the negative effects of buying cheap clothes that don’t meet safety standards. A second picture I would love to have is the one police must have taken of the pajamas, which caught fire. The photo of the charred and tattered remains of child’s clothing would send a strong message to parents everywhere to make sure this doesn’t happen to their kids.

Child burned from cheap pajamas

Steve Kuzj
Court Story
2/18/07

A 7-year-old South St. Paul boy who suffered severe burns when his pajamas caught on fire, filed a lawsuit this month against the producers of the clothing, its sellers and even his own parents.
As a minor, Austin Foley was granted his psychologist as guardian to represent him in his case. His parents are not permitted to act as his guardians because of the questions surrounding their involvement in their son’s injuries according to Austin’s attorney, Paul Strandness.
Austin’s attorneys have filed complaints against Family Dollar Stores Inc., Prestige Global Co. and J-K Sales Co. their role in selling the product Highland Outfitter sleepwear. The companies are all being sued for negligence, liability and breach of warranty.
The suit alleges Amy and Blayne Foley are responsible for Austin’s safety as his legal guardians and due to a possible failure in their parental duties, they are being sued for negligence as well.
As a legal strategy, Austin’s attorneys are bringing charges against parents Amy and Blayne so they can have some control over which tactics the defense’s attorneys might use against them in the case. Strandness explained the goal is to make Amy and Blayne appear less at fault to the jury.
Strandness said it is unclear who is ultimately at fault for producing and profiting from clothing that does not meet the set safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
“We found that the pajamas Austin was wearing were not in compliance with the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s fire standards,? Strandness said. “It’s a strong case of liability for all parties involved.?
The defendants either refused to comment on the case or were unavailable.
Austin was 5 years old when he was burned in his home Jan. 13, 2005. His father Blayne, a smoker, left for work early that morning after placing his lighter on top of the kitchen refrigerator.
According to Strandness, Austin had a fascination with his father’s lighters and had been reprimanded for playing with them on more than one occasion.
When Austin’s mother Amy left the kitchen to go upstairs, Austin got the lighter and began to play with it.
Austin’s pajamas then ignited and flames quickly spread over his entire body. Upon hearing her child’s screams, Amy ran down stairs to find Austin completely engulfed in flames.
His mother grabbed a nearby blanket and wrapped up Austin to put the flames out. Austin was rushed to Regions Hospital with burns over 30 percent of his body.
Austin has since had seven skin grafts to replace the flesh on areas of his body with third degree burns, such as his arms, neck and face.
The burning pajamas left Austin with permanent disfiguring scars across his body and other complications he will have to deal with for the rest of his life, Strandness said.
Austin’s case is just one of dozens reported every year. In a 2005 report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission based on data collected from 33 burn centers across the U.S., 33 children under the age of 15 were burned when their sleepwear caught fire. The youngest was only 12 weeks old.
Under the Commission’s Standards for the Flammability of Children’s Sleepwear, fabric and garments must pass certain flammability tests in order to be legally sold in the United States. The general test uses a sample of five 3.5 inch by 10 inch sections of material cut from the fabric seams and trim of the sleepwear.
The test requires the samples to be held under a gas flame for three seconds; afterwards, the amount of the sample charred is measured. If the average char length is greater than 7.0 inches, the sleepwear must be rejected.
Austin’s attorneys are suing for a sum greater than $50,000 under Minnesota’s pleading requirement. A jury has leeway to decide those damages and can go far beyond that minimum.
According to Strandness, Austin’s case will go to court next January at the earliest.

Sources

· Civil Suit

· Plaintiff Attorney: Paul Strandness (952-594-3600)

· Consumer Product Safety Commission website

· Consumer Product Safety Commission report
(http://www.cpsc.gov/library/nbcrs05.pdf)

Former Mets employee sold steroids to Major League Baseball players

A former employee of the New York Mets clubhouse pleaded guilty to charges of selling a variety of performance-enhancing drugs over a 10-year period to more than a dozen Major League Baseball players. As an equipment manager and clubhouse assistant for the Mets from 1985-95, 37-year-old Kirk Radomski pleaded guilty to felony charges of distributing drugs such as anabolic steroids and human growth hormone, to dozens of Major League Baseball players over a 10-year period beginning in 1995. Charges against Radomski also include money laundering, which with drug charges could carry a $500,000 fine and up to 25 years in prison. Radomski agreed to provide information to the committee led by former senator George Mitchell that is investigating drug use in the MLB as part of the plea deal accepted at the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California. According to the warrant calling for Radomski’s arrest, he became a major source of drugs for baseball players after federal investigators shut down Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative in Burlingame, a company which has been found guilty of illegally supply athletes with performance enhancing drugs. The same federal investigators who obtained guilty pleas from Barry Bonds’ personal trainer, Greg Anderson, among others, are currently handling the case. Radomski admitted that after he left the Mets, he operated his drug distribution network out of his New York home using his baseball connections. So far, no MLB players have been identified in the court filings in connection with the case, although names and paragraphs of text from the federal search warrant were redacted to conceal the identities of any involved parties until further investigation.

The Washington Post and New York Times articles covered the exact same materials but took slightly different angles. The Post focused on the ex-Mets batboy, Radomski’s history with the MLB. The Post’s reporter also listed many of the details of the investigation, like who is conducting it and where they’ve been getting their information. The New York Times writer chose to focus his story on past players involved in Steroid scandals. The Times mentions a few key MLB players who’ve come under fire for being accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, most notably Barry Bonds.

Click here for the Washington Post story

or click the title for the New York Times

St. Paul Mayor hit by drunk driver

St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman was involved in a car accident Thursday evening when a drunken law school student rear-ended him at a red light. At the time, Coleman was riding in a city vehicle with his police escort after leaving a forum at Mount Olivet Baptist Church in St. Paul. No one was injured in the accident and Coleman returned to his job as Mayor today. After the accident, scene was cleared by police, Abbie Raymond, 22, of St. Paul was booked into the Ramsey County jail. Raymond, a student at William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, was charged with a gross misdemeanor of driving while under the influence of alcohol. A Breathalyzer test taken by Raymond at the accident scene registered a blood alcohol level more than three times the legal limit at a 0.26 percent. The accident occurred at approximately 8:40 p.m. while Raymond was traveling with another intoxicated passenger in her Honda sedan. Raymond’s sedan impacted Coleman’s unmarked black Crown Victoria while traveling between five and 10 miles an hour.

This another article where the Pioneer Press went above and beyond the Star Tribune. I’m beginning to think that if it doesn’t happen in Minneapolis, the Tribune doesn’t really care as much. Then again, St. Paul is the Press’s main beat and they should not be out done on their home turf. The Tribune and Press stories were similar in every aspect except one: the Press’s writer dug a little into Mayor Coleman’s history and reported on how this is “not Coleman's first bump in the road since he was elected.? It turns out that Coleman was involved in an accident back in April of 2006.While driving his son, Coleman’s vehicle was hit when a car full of “young people? spun out of its lane on Interstate 94 and clipped the mayor’s vehicle.

Click here for the Star Tribune's article

or click the title for the PIoneer Presses

Fight breaks out at funeral of murdered St. Paul teenager

After a St. Paul teenager was shot and killed on a bus Sunday, his funeral wasn’t much more peaceful. A fight broke out today during a rescheduled visitation for Earl Freeman, 16, who was killed on a Metro Transit bus. Relatives canceled the original service, which was set for Friday morning because of concerns the feud between two rival groups which allegedly led to Freeman’s death, would continue at the funeral. Even after moving the funeral services, later held at a University Avenue funeral home, an altercation erupted between friends of the victim and friends of the shooter, according to a St. Paul police spokesman. Although no one was arrested, the services were moved to the Spielman Mortuary. 17-year-old Jerome Cross has been charged with the second-degree murder of Freeman. The family of Freeman claims the accused killer’s friends have made threats against the family. Services and the burial will be continued in Chicago, according to a death notice the family took out in the Pioneer Press.

The Star Tribune really gave this story to the Pioneer Press it would seem to me. The Tribune writer interviewed nobody in the matter and posted their story 2 hours later than the Press. The story the Tribune posted was basically a rehash of the Press’s article, except lacking the details of violent threats towards the victim’s family.

See the Star Tribune story here

or click the title for the Pioneer Press article

St. Paul Fire Chief leaves

St. Paul Fire Chief Doug Holton on Thursday accepted an offer to become Milwaukee fire chief. Holton was unanimously selected for the position by the six-member Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission. Holton received the job offer just two years through his first four year term as St. Paul's fire chief and only weeks after he received a no-confidence vote from his St. Paul firefighters. The members of the Milwaukee commission were especially interested in Holton's ambitions to diversify the mostly white department. Holton will begin his stated 4-year term for the Milwaukee Fire Department within the next 45 days. Controversy with Houlton’s management began in March when rank-and-file St. Paul firefighters a 366-6 no-confidence vote against Holton. A department-wide audit of the situation by an independent consultant blamed both Holton and the unions for departmental conflict. Holton continues to maintain that his decision to accept the Milwaukee job offer had nothing to do with the no-confidence vote. Holton will be returning to his hometown of Milwaukee where he spent 25 years of his career as firefighter.

The article by Pioneer Press chose to focus on the troubles Houlton faced as chief of the St. Paul Fire Department. The article details how he and St. Paul's largest firefighter union - International Association of Fire Fighters Local 21, continually butted heads over department issues. The story written by the Star tribune with contribution from the Associated Press took the angle of Houlton’s history as a firefighter in Milwaukee and as a chief here in St. Paul. Both stories were quite different in their portrayals of Houlton. The Pioneer Press focused more on the negatives of Houlton’s career, while the Tribune covered the various accomplishments of his career; giving us an idea why he was chosen over four other finalists for the position.

click here for the Pioneer Press Story

or click the title for the Trib's article

Continue reading "St. Paul Fire Chief leaves" »

Gonzales Testifies before Senate Panel

20attorneys-600.jpg

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee members Thursday for questioning on his handling of the firings of federal prosecutors. Gonzales was drilled for over five hours by the committee, mostly about his role in the firings of eight U.S. attorneys. Democrats have alleged that some of the prosecutors may have been removed for political means. Democrats believe Gonzales is attempting to interfere with political corruption probes Two of the fired prosecutors have also alleged improper pressure from GOP lawmakers as the evidence against Gonzales continues to mount. The panel hearing was widely considered to be crucial to Gonzales’s ability to hold on to his job. Alberto was careful to present an accurate defense of the firings, apologizing for the way they were handled but defending them as the "right decision." Many of the questions thrown at Gonzales elicited incoherent explanations as he struggled through the hearing. Gonzales has even come under attack from members of his own party over the dismissals of eight U.S. attorneys. On Thursday Gonzales received the first resignation demand from a Republican member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Many others voiced doubts about his truthfulness and his ability to lead the Justice Department.

The story about Gonzales has been growing for months. The Washington Post covered the recent news of Republicans of his own party turning against him and calling for his resignation for the first time since he took office. The New York Times focused the majority of their story on explaining Gonzales’s hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. The Times builds their story around mostly quotes from senate members and direct testimony of Gonzales himself.

Click the title for the NY Times Story or ...

Click here for the Washington post Article

Mourners gather to support victims from Virginia

515-1hokie.standalone.prod_affiliate.2.jpg

Students on campuses across the nation held ceremonies to honor the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre.
More than 200 U of M students gathered late Thursday morning. They stood on the south side of Coffman Union. Hundreds lined up to sign large plastic banners that declared "Today We Are All Hokies," a reference to the nickname of Virginia Tech's athletic teams. The mourners observed a moment of silence for the 32 people shot to death Monday. The gathering also included several speakers who asked for unity with the victims and survivors. A few of the speakers mentioned Wednesday's bomb scare at the U of M, which shut down eight U buildings and left students, faculty and many others a little uneasy. Vice Provost for student affairs, Jerry Rinehart commented that, "We're open communities and vulnerable to violence." Pastor of University Baptist Church, the Rev. Douglas Donley, closed the vigil with these words: "We're here to share our grief, our confusion, our rage and our compassion …
"Say the names: Oklahoma City, Columbine, University of Texas-Austin, Kent State, Jackson State, Red Lake, Waco, Sept. 11. And now Virginia Tech will join the litany."

Both the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune covered the vigils and memorials. The Star Tribune article was much more encompassing of the nation-wide ceremonies. The Pioneer Press’s story was only four paragraphs long and focused Virginia Gov. Timothy Kaine’s request for a day of morning and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s request that Minnesota churches ring their bells at 11:00 am.

Click the title for the Star Tribune story or ...

Click here for the Pioneer Press

Marines accused of killing Civilians

A preliminary investigation into an incident more than a month ago involving a suicide bombing in Afghanistan has indicated that over 40 Afghans were killed or wounded by Marines in a retaliation counter-attack. The investigation claims that the American marines reacted to a bomb ambush with excessive force in eastern Afghanistan. The marines responded by opening fire on several targets, hitting groups of bystanders and vehicles with machine-gun fire in a series of attacks that covered more than 10 miles of highway. Senior Special Operations commanders said there is no evidence that the Marine Special Operations platoon came under small-arms fire after the bombing as according to reports from the marines. Statements from Marines reported the platoon began taking enemy fire and seeing people with weapons right after the bombing. The troops continued shooting at perceived threats as they traveled miles from the site of the March 4 attack according to some evidence. Other evidence supports the idea that civilians might have been killed in a small-arms attack that followed the suicide bombing. One Marine was injured by shrapnel in the suicide bombing, but immediate medical evacuation was not necessary. Of those killed, investigating officers reported that they were unable to find evidence linking the dead civilians to enemy warriors. A few of the dead included a 4-year-old girl, a 1-year-old boy and three elderly villagers. The marines could face criminal charges if they are convicted of the civilian casualties.

The two articles written by the Washington Post and New York Times, although containing reports from similar agencies such as the Special Operations Command Central and the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission, the writers of each used different sources within the organizations.

Click here for the Washington Post article

or click the title for the New York Times article

Boy found crying and abandoned

Police are still searching for the parents of a toddler who was found alone crying on the corner of a street Thursday morning. The boy, estimated to be 18 months to 2 years old, was first spotted by Chue Siong. According to Siong, He came across the small boy just across his doorstep in St. Paul. The boy was crying and refusing to say a word to anyone. Siong had just taken his four children to school about 10 a.m. when he saw the shoeless boy. The boy wore an orange puffy coat and seemed hungry. Siong had never seen him before and was puzzled as to where the parents might be. Siong waited with the boy for hours as he wandered around sobbing; when no sign of parents or help, he called the police. There were no indications that the boy had been physically abused or neglected, police said. Police went door-to-door around the neighborhood looking for anyone who knew the boy, but found no one. Even after searching a statewide database of missing-person reports, no files matching the boy's description have turned up. The toddler is now in Ramsey County protective custody. Authorities say the child is physically in good condition and will be staying with a foster family until legal guardians or relatives can be located.

The Star Tribune and Pioneer Press both hit the same points in their stories, however, I feel that the Pioneer Press story is written much better. Tad Vezner of the Pioneer Press used great descriptions when detailing the matter in which the boy was found. His opening line, “The little boy had no shoes,? gives me an idea that this is going to be a tragic story. More adjectives such as “soaked, striped socks,? just add to your pity for the abandoned child.

Click the title for the Pioneer Press story

or click here for the Star Tribune story

140 Pound Dog Attacks 8-year-old Boy

978-1dog041407.standalone.prod_affiliate.2.jpg

While walking to school in South Minneapolis with his two older brothers, an 8-year-old boy was attacked and bitten repeatedly by a large dog Friday. Police said DeVonta Prince was attacked just before 8 a.m. after a neighbor’s dog named Akita, got off its chain in a yard along the way to the boys school. The mere 60 pound boy was bitten on the head and had his left arm in the jaws of the 140 pound dog when a neighbor was able to beat back the dog with a shovel. The teenage son of the dog's owner arrived at the scene shortly after and calmed his pet. After taking the dog home and telling his father what Akita had done, the father had the dog euthanized later on Friday. The man told police his dog had never acted aggressively, especially towards children.
DeVonta is listed in satisfactory condition after more three hours of surgery at Hennepin County Medical Center.

The Pioneer Press posted the article published by the Associated Press, probably because they figured the Star Tribune would beat them to the Minneapolis based story anyway, seeing that Minneapolis is the Tribune’s main beat. The article itself covered only the bare-bones of the story, quoting only the victim child. The Star Tribune article covered by David Chanen, had quotes from more than just the DeVonta. The story includes a Minneapolis Council Member’s opinion on the event and also, a side story about the family’s own dog which was shot by police Wednesday night. The side story is told from the accounts of a Minneapolis police lieutenant and the Step-father of the boy. The story itself had nothing to do with the attack of the boy, except that it also involved a dog being killed. I would not have included the second part of the story. I would have instead focused more reports of recent animal attacks from Minneapolis Animal Control.

Click the Title for the Star Tribune story

or Click here for he Pioneer Press's Associated Press story

Greek Cruise Ship Sinks in the Aegean Sea

Only two people are missing after a Greek cruise ship struck a volcanic reef Thursday. The 469-foot Sea Diamond was carrying nearly 1,600 people when it began to sink. When the ship ran aground on the volcanic rock bed, the captain tried to free the ship from the reef before evacuating the passengers as required by international rules. The ship's hull was ripped open by the effort to move off the rocks, causing it to completely sink 18 hours later. More than a dozen ships in the area were involved. Six navy rescue helicopters, two military transport plane and four warships also were been sent to the area, along with emergency medical crews. All but two were retrieved from the sinking ship in a three-hour rescue operation. Some passengers complained of an insufficient supply of life vests and little guidance from crewmembers. A few of the biggest headlines in this accident are the reports that the captain and crew were unprepared for the evacuation. The captain and five other senior crewmembers have been charged with negligence and violating international maritime rules. If convicted, the officers face a maximum five-year sentence.

In the Associated Press and CNN stories, both read as though they were written from the same press release (they probably were). It was hard to find other versions of this story other than the ones straight from the Associated Press.

070406_sea_diamond_hmed_9a.rp600x350.jpg

Click the title for the CNN article or

Click here for the AP article

Double Van Collision Kills Two

Two men were killed in a head on collision Friday. 78 year-old John Carroll, a World War II veteran lost consciousness before the veterans service van he was driving crossed the median of Interstate Hwy. 35W and struck a car, and then a van head-on. Carroll and the other van driver collided shortly before 2p.m. The other driver, father of four, Bobby W. Tomlin, 38, of Mahtomedi, died along with Carroll near County Road 88 in New Brighton. Carroll was on his way back from the Minneapolis Veterans Medical Center with two fellow veterans. Passengers Richard Kerr, 83, and Bob Butte were transported to Hennepin County Medical Center. Kerr was listed in critical condition while Butte was listed as injured, but stable. The other car that Carroll’s van collided with carried two passengers who were unharmed in the accident.

The Pioneer Press and Star Tribune covered two different angles with this story, something that seems rare to me in this market. The Pioneer Press writer spends much of his story with the life of deceased Bobby Tomlin. The writer talks about Tomlin as a father of three daughters, ages 11 months, 3 years and 12 years, and a 10-year-old son. The article goes into Tomlin’s schooling and also his job as a watch repairman.

The Star Tribune article takes the side of John Carroll. The writer covers Carroll’s service in WWII, his job as a St. Paul fire fighter and also tells us that he crashed a county owned vehicle. The van Carroll crashed was a handicapped accessible van owned by Chisago County to transport Veterans to medical appointments. Carroll had been a driver of the van for more than three years.

Read the Star Tribune Article here

U of M Football Players Accused of Rape

Bail was set at $100,000 each for three University of Minnesota football players accused of the rape of an 18-year-old woman. Authorities say charges against Alex Daniels and Keith Massey, both 20, and E.J. Jones, 19, could come as early as Monday. The three will remain in jail unless the Hennepin County Attorney's Office does not file charges against them by noon Monday. The players have been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation. The alleged rape occurred either late Tuesday or early Wednesday in the apartment of the three players at University Village Apartments. The 18-year-old woman accusing the three of rape is not a student at the University of Minnesota. The players have not yet been formally charged.

The articles by the Pioneer Pres and Star Tribune have interviews with university Police Chief Greg Hestness and university athletic director Joel Maturi. The story progression and outline are similar, except the Pioneer Press writer gave background/biographical information on the three accused football players, listing their stats and position on the Gophers football team.

Read the Pioneer Press article here

or Click the title for the Star Tribune.

Australian is First Guantanamo Convict

A U.S. military tribunal sentenced an Australian to nine months in prison Friday after he pleaded guilty to supporting terrorism. Hicks’s sentence originally called for seven years in prison, a charge a panel of military officers sentenced Hicks to on a charge of providing material support to a terrorist organization. In exchange for Hicks' guilty plea in the morning hearing, the sentence had been reduced to nine months. Under the plea deal, the confessed Taliban-allied gunman will be allowed to serve his sentence in an Australian prison, but must remain silent about any alleged abuse while in custody. Under the deal, Hicks will be allowed to leave Guantanamo within 60 days. Described as a former outback cowboy, Hicks acknowledged aiding Al-Qaida during the 2001 U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan, confirmed that he conducted surveillance on the former U.S. Embassy in Kabul.

One Fact about the plea agreement that I don’t agree with is the stipulation under his plea deal that he has “never been illegally treated by a person or persons while in the custody of the U.S. government.? It seems like the U.S. government is trying to cover up the mistreatment of detainees. Hicks earlier stated that he had been beaten and deprived of sleep while at the prison facility.

The two stories from the Associated Press and the McClatchy News Service are almost identical in the information they present. The difference is that the AP article mentions more of Hicks’s plea agreement, while the McClatchy News Service talks more on the trials and the terrorist actions of hicks.

Click the title to read the AP article or

Click here to see the McClatchy News Service