Poison has been ruled the cause of death for the deaths of a father and son Feb. 14. Police discovered the bodies of a man and his son on the floor of a hotel room. 47-year-old Jeffrey Wagner of Edgerton, and his son, 7-year-old Zachary Wolfe of Luck, were found dead at the Richfield AmericInn, off of Interstate 494. Investigators were initially confused by how the father and son had died. There were no weapons in the hotel room or signs of injury to the bodies. Investigators believe Wagner killed his son and then himself. That idea was supported by the medical examiner's office when it ruled Wagner's death a suicide and Zachary's death a homicide. The Hennepin County coroner's office determined Wagner and Wolfe died from ingesting ethylene glycol - an active ingredient in antifreeze, which, becomes highly acidic once ingested, causing severe damage to the kidney, brain, liver and blood vessels.
The stories ran by the Pioneer Press and the Associated Press both discuss how Wagner picked up Zachary from his mother's home while the boy waited for a school bus. The Pioneer Press story differs in that it explains the troubled relationship between Wagner and his ex-wife, Zachary’s mother. The Pioneer Press writer mentions how no Amber Alert was issued because Zachary’s mother thought her child was not in any danger.
or click the title to read the Pioneer Press article