« Work, work, work | Main | Life »

A very Royal week!

Well, I guess I need to do a quick update of my last week and a half...

Wednesday I had class in the morning and then I went wandering around Kensington. I had lunch in Kensington Gardens and then walked over to Harrods. Wowza - that is the most blatantly ostentatious place that I have ever been to! I actually got very disoriented inside the store, which is rare for me! I ended up buying about 5 pounds worth of some of the most delicious chocolates I've ever had!

Thursday, I worked from 10-6 and then hung out with the girls in Ruth & Tanya's room afterwards.

On Friday Rachel and I went out and explored the city. We went to the Natural history Museum which I thought was really cool! We saw displays on dinos and lots of other animals and even one on the human brain which was really cool. They even have a display of jewelry and precious gemstones which was very beautiful, and we could take pictures! Huzzah! We also saw a hug cross-section of a redwood tree that had been around for centuries, and it is HUGE!!!

Saturday was Derby Day! Rachel, Ruth, Eric and I all got (slightly) dressed up and packed our lunches and went off to Epsom for the Derby! It was a major hassle trying to get over there because we bought all of our tickets individually and then found out that not only could we have saved money if we had bought them all together, but we were in the wrong station anyways! We had to get over to Victoria (which was a hassle since the Victoria line isn't running on weekends) and then we tried to get a refund for our tickets, but the lady at the counter said that we'd have to go back to Waterloo and return the tickets and buy new ones at Victoria and by that time we all just really wanted to go, so we just counted our losses and took the next train out to Epsom. Once we got there we realized that we were not going to be able to see much of anything but we still had a lot of fun anyways. We ended up seeing the Queen without even realizing it - when we got there I saw the Royal Standard flying over the stands and I saw a woman in a very bright pink hat and commented on it, and it turned out that the woman in the very bright hat was the Queen herself!

On Sunday, Rachel and I went to Hyde Park and enjoyed the very hot weather for a few hours and then just kind of chilled out for the rest of the day. It was really too hot to do much of anything, but it was a fun day anyways.

Monday was another typical work day where I spent all day looking up actors on Spotlight and calling their agents and booking them for auditions for our panto. After that I went to the PELA class which still seems pretty bogus to me so far. The teacher is very nice - I like him - but the class is not hard at all and I don't feel like I'm learning anything at all so far. We spent the whole night making brainstorming lists and then narrowing them down - how much more menial can our tasks get?!

On Tuesday I worked from 10-3:30 and then went to theatre class. We talked a little about Harper Regan, the play that we went to see and then watched a movie version of A Doll's House (which was ruined for me by the horrible rendition I had to see by the BFAs a few years ago, so it has been hard to pay attention). After class we all took the tube over and then walked across the pedestrian bridge to the National Theatre and it was very beautiful. I really liked the play - it's a modern show where a woman leaves her whole life behind and goes around England to find herself. I thought that it was stunning - I definitely need to read more by Simon Stephens who wrote it!

Wednesday was a very chill day. I went to class in the morning and we only stayed until 11:30. I then had lunch with a few of the girls from the class and then got some pics developed (I think I'll wait on the rest of them until I get back home) and then went to the doctor for my INR. After that I felt a little tired since it was also kind of hot and sticky so I went home and watched a little tv in the laundry room (the only place in my building with a tv!) and did a load of laundry.

On Thursday I worked from 10-6 again and then went out with the girls for awhile to a bar in Leicester Square.

Friday was an early day. We had to be ready to leave at CAPA at 8 am for the Bath/Stonehenge trip. The coach ride was not great mostly because the coaches have the WORST seats I've ever experienced on a bus! We went to Stonehenge first and it was cool to get a chance to get out and appreciate the size of the stones! It made me remember the quiet magnificence of Avebury and I thought that it seemed rather sad in comparison. It wasn't majestic - just commercialized. Oh, well - really cool to see anyways!

I really liked Bath. I liked the little taste that I got with Barb & Bill and I enjoyed the half-day I spent there on the trip a bunch too! When we got there, the girls and I ate our lunches in a little square and wandered around a little bit and then went on a walking tour of the city. The tour was really interesting and I was able to see a lot of stuff that I'd missed before. We even saw number nine in the Circus which Nicolas Cage just purchased in the last few months! We also got to go into the assembly rooms which had been closed when Barb & Bill and I went there, which was very cool! Right after the tour we went into the Roman Baths which were very cool, but the audio guide would not stop talking - every single blurb was 2 minutes or more, so I stopped using it after a little while and just read the info that they had around instead. After, I picked up some postcards and tried to ignore the terrible coach ride home in the horrible seats!

Saturday was another early morning, since Rachel and I went out to see Trooping the Colour and we wanted good spots! Trooping the Colour is the Queen's official birthday celebration, and it was full of pageantry and royals! We had to wait around for a really long time but it was very cool to see all of the guards marching around and parading, since we haven't been able to catch changing of the guards yet! We ended up getting a pretty good spot for when everyone paraded back and the royals came back in their carriages, and after they all paraded around people from farther down the route started walking up to the palace behind a row of bobbies and Rachel and I ended up jumping the barricades to join them up near the palace. We're probably in some of the pics in the newspapers! We got to see the royal family one time up close as the RAF did a very long flyover of a bunch of cool planes, and Rachel and I really liked being able to see the princes!

After that, we went over to the National Gallery and looked at a bunch of it but our feet hurt a lot after a long time of standing so we went home early and got some sleep so that we'd be up and ready for the Brighton trip.

Today we went to Brighton, but it didn't start out great. We made it to the bus on time and the coach only left about 5 minutes late but the tour guide (who was entirely unnecessary in my opinion) would not stop talking so I was entirely unable to sleep for the whole (3 hour long!!!!) ride down there. We caught some really bad traffic but it was really just annoying because the tour guide lady kept coming on the intercom and talking innanely about random things that no one was interested in at all! Once we got there, we went through the Royal Pavilion which is quite a bit different from all the other palaces I've seen before. It wasn't my style at all - far too over the top and flashy, but I can see how people would have liked it - it's very different and unique. After that, we went down to the pier and Tanya and Rachel went on a ride and then we got lunch and ate it on the very cold and very rocky beach. Then we went shopping and I stuck to my budget and only bought a pair of very cute shoes for 5 pounds! (WAY worth it!) WE wandered around the lanes for awhile and then it was time to get back on the bus to head back home, and here I am. Right now I'm trying to find cheap flights to some cool locations so that Rachel and I can hopefully go to some fun places, but I am also trying to figure out who's flying out later so that I can tag along with them as they travel. Wish me luck!