« Midtown market | Main | blog numbah 3 »

social design issue

I chose to pick my topic on permanent and semi permanent solutions for Katrina victims. I say permanent and semi permanent because these people that were displaced by the hurricane and flooding need both a place to live, and a place to stay so they can get back on their feet. A fema trailer for 6 months is not going to be enough help for a family with 4 kids that has been displaced, what happens after they have to move out of the trailer?Federal disaster declarations covered 90,000 square miles (233,000 km²) of the United States, an area almost as large as the United Kingdom. The hurricane left an estimated three million people without electricity.

The biggest problem is that many of the homes are being rebuilt just the way they were before, this could result in the same problem happening again, their or in any large flood plane.

While it is rather foolish to think we can just rebuild everything from the ground up, it isn’t at all possible from an economic standpoint. I think we can do something, and the global green foundation is. By gather some larger celebrities behind their cause they like Brad Pitt has helped bring much needed attention to this cause. He helped pick a energy efficient low income housing model that could possibly reduce a families energy bill by 75 percent.

They are hoping to shoot for implementing this design and having 18 homes built by the second anniversary.

Here is a picture of the winning design, which by using careful positioning and shielding helps to regulate temperature.

WorkshopAPD_01.png

Here is a link to global green:

http://www.globalgreen.org/