After watching The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night I have realized that documentaries were the early blogs. Both are designed to let more people have easiers access to a subject.
In the case of the Beatles movie it was to find out more about how the group acted off the tv screen and the stage. While this wasn't completely a documentary about the true life of the Beatles, you can't really tell the whole true story without making a lot of people upset.
This is the same for Sports Information Blogs. While, if they were able to be unsenored, they would be great to be able to get the media and fans more interested in the area that you were writing about. However, since as reprsentatives of the university or the sports organization there are always things that the upper management would not want the media and public to know about.
For this movie I was able to come up with several ideas that would make a sports information blog interesting and several constraints for it.
1. Above all make sure that you tell a full story. Little chunks about things that happen with the team can and should be strung together to explain a full story, instead of just having small chunks that don't necessarly connect. The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night is a full day in the life of the Beatles, and that is what makes it more interesting. They didn't just talk abou the concert itself and the things that happen backstage, it is abou the entire trip leading up the the concert, including the "boring" travel time.
2. Comedy always makes things more interesting. The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night might have been designed to explain the daily life of the group, but it was mainly about the funny things that happened to them and the funny things that they did or caused. This would be the same way with the teams. People wouldn't want to just hear about the stats of the game, they want to know what the personality of the team is.
3. Make sure to include sight (pictures) and sound if possible (movie clips). Having more than just words is what would make a blog more interesting. In the Beatles movie they broke up different parts of the story with the songs from the album. While a blog is not a movie it would be important to include at least pictures on the blog to show the action that is going on.
4. Make sure to show more than just things about the sport that you are covering with the blog. The movie about the Beatles showed the things that the group iked to do besides playing music. This is extremely important because it allows you to show that the athlete is just like everyone else, while showing the personalties as well.
5. Focus at least a large portion of the blog on a player that is not as well known. This idea allows the viewer to know more about that person, while allowing them to tell more about the highlight players on the team from a different angle. The Beatles did this by using a lot of time to focus singually on Ringo, not Paul or John.
6. Make sure to constrain the blog to a special time in the season. While it would be nice to continue throughout the entire season, but you would lose interest. So in a sports information blog you would want to focus on specific times in the season like:
-Preseason, when the team is just starting to get to know eachother
-Big Tournaments, so you can see how the team reacts under pressure
-Post-Season play, get a behind the sences look of a successful team so that the media (who like to concentrate on this time anyway) can have more human interest story ideas to write about)