Recently in Analysis Category

Computer Assisted Reporting

The story I took a look at is one about safety practices used in coal mines around the country.
The story exposes the lack of compliance to law and safety procedures by those in the profession.
The reporters would have had to get records about accidents at coal mines around the nation.
They would also have had to interview those who are currently employed as a miner or someone who used to be a coal miner to find out how they were trained and if the safety procedures are enforced.

Cultural

The group which I have looked at is Somali.

The story goes beyond stereotypes and goes into more detail into their life and their everyday struggles.

The story has made me see that everyone is in the same boat in our world and in our economy.

Everyone is trying to make it in this recession, and many people from every different kind of ethnicity are having trouble keeping afloat financially.

The Somali article was about a small business run by a Somali family and how they are struggling to make ends meet.

Obituary

Some of the obituaries that I looked at were located in the Star Tribune. The ones I looked at took on a more feature based approach.
Of the pieces I took a look at, most of them used either good friends or fellow employees as sources.
These sources were especially useful if they had done something notable in their professional lives.
Overall I really think this style of obituary works. It is a runoff of the portraits of grief style of The New York Times.

Speeches/ Meeting

I took a look at a speech and the story which was written about that speech.
The story I looked at was on the speech we watched in class, when Michelle Obama spoke on the topic of childhood obesity.
The author took the main idea of the story to be the relationship between the first lady's childhood obesity initiative and the greater health care problem.
The story pretty much followed the same formula we learned in class. Every point had a quote which emphasized it and reinforced it.
The story also had a great kicker at the end.

Multimedia

I looked at Fox News and The New York Times for different media options available for a news seeker to find the latest news.
Both of the news providers have video on their sites, which are great if you are trying to really get the mood of the news story.
They also have numerous photo stories or photos of the day which is the kind of assignment we did for class this last week.
These photo stories I find to be very interesting with certain stories.
All of these multimedia pieces are used for different reasons depending on how the organization wants to portray the story or how they want to frame it.

Spot/Follow

I looked at one story about a murder. The first draft of the story was from the day before and it was very general and did not supply hardly any information.
The next day, the story was updated with names and specifics about what transpired the day of the murder.
It does look like they use the same fact block strategy we have been using in class.
When I compare the two it looks like the author just fills in the new information into the already established story form.
The length of the story expanded as well, with the introduction of new facts to the story.

Structure

All of the hard news stories I have read have followed the same inverted pyramid model for story structure.
They all start with the lead and then open up the story more with the second paragraph, adding more details to the more general lead.
I have noticed a couple martini glass stories as well. They did a great job of laying out the sequence of events.
This story structure, and the ones which I read, all worked very well. When I was reading the story it felt like I was getting more and more detailed information as I read.
I could have stopped reading at any moment and still had a sense of the story.

Attribution

All of the stories I read used attribution in the same exact way that we were talking about in class.
They never started a paragraph with an attribution and they attributed often within the story. All the best stories I read also used direct quotes which made the story more powerful and authentic.
A quote can make or break your story.
The best stories that I read with attribution varied the ways they used the language when it came to wording the attribution.
They kept the read interesting and also covered all their bases by doing it correctly.

The lead for this story is very simple and straight forward. It contains all of the crucial parts we discussed in class which are present in a good news lead.
The who, what, when, and where are all answered within this lead. It is also a fairly simple lead, and is kind of vague in some areas.
Maybe the reporter decided to keep this lead short because they did not want to bog down the reader with too many facts right away. Overall I thought this was a great lead, and the reporter did a good job of gathering the facts and putting them into a simple but effective lead.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analysis category.

International News is the next category.