Main | Bit by bit »

Hello World!

I thought I'd start a blog to easily update people on the current state of the CFANS web world.

FSCN is our UMContent pilot project. The plan is for their new site to go live Dec. 12th. I've spent much of the past 2 weeks trouble-shooting all of the little things that have cropped up. It doesn't help that UMContent seems to spontaneously re-write the template code. Things that were working will suddenly break and we don't know why. I think we have most of the kinks worked out (for the FSCN site, at least) and will be ready to launch next week.

I'm starting to work on creating template fragments for the next batch of CFANS sites that will be moved into UMContent. The U is releasing new templates sometime in the next few months and we'll need to incorporate the revised headers & footers. Fortunately, I've been given a pre-release version of them so that I can start the design process. Eventually, all CFANS sites in UMContent will pull the global header & footer from a single file, which should make updating sites much easier than it's been in the past. I've had to update the header/footer on 100+ sites manually and it takes quite a while.

I'm also working on general template design for CFANS, since the U is switching to a new 960 pixel wide recommendation. (Most of our current sites are 760 pixels wide.)