« Panel rules in favor of Franken | Main | Obama friendly at Summit of the Americas »

CIA Interrogation Memos released, Obama won't charge interrogators

The Justice Department released memos on Thursday that had authorized the use of harsh interrogation methods in secret C.I.A. prisons abroad, the New York Times reported.

The four legal opinions were written under the Bush administration in 2002 and 2005 and gave approval and specific guidelines for C.I.A. interrogators to use techniques such as waterboarding, sleep deprivation, nudity and others, the Star Online reported.

President Barack Obama, who discontinued the techniques almost immediately upon taking office, said that his administration will not prosecute C.I.A. interrogators who carried out the techniques on the basis of the released opinions, and will try to protect them from facing international tribunals, the Star reported.

Attorney General Eric H Holder Jr. is among the current administration's officials who have classified over a dozen of the techniques as torture, the Times reported.

The memos were released due to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Times reported.

The Justice Department ethics office is currently investigating the legal analysis of the three men at the forefront of responsibility for the opinions: Jay S. Bybee, Steven G. Bradbury, and John Yoo, the Times reported.