« State Senate votes to lift ban on nuclear power plants | Main | Obama to ease restrictions on Cuba »

Red River could have higher crest in April

It took 112 years to break the flood-level record in Fargo, N.D., but it could be just a matter of weeks before it is broken again.

The National Weather Service announced that the current flooding of the Red River, which stood under 36 feet on Friday, could reach a second crest of 41 feet April 15-22, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reported. That level would top Saturday's record of 40.8 feet, as well as the 1897 mark of 40.1 feet.

The weather service said there was a 75 percent chance that the river would reach 41 feet, and a 25 percent chance that it would reach 42.8 feet, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reported.

Fargo had raised its protection to 43 feet, the Pioneer Press reported via The Associated Press.

Snowmelt and rain are expected to contribute to the rise over the next month, the Pioneer Press reported.

Precipitation in March was a major factor in the flooding, as rainfall was 60 percent above a 127-year-old record for the month, the Pioneer Press reported.

Fargo officials said they are prepared for another round of holding back the water, the Pioneer Press reported.