Recently in Reading Responses Category

Ch. 4 Response

I have been working mostly with the grid structure on this product, utilizing the ratio 8:13 to emphasive the golden ratio. In this, I have created a composition with asymmetrical balance and heirachy from the use of white space and the dominating colors. Part of my piece consists of using colored blocks to created movement and an entrypoint for the viewer so that if they were to scan my piece, they would have the most important information directly at hand. There is a dual narrative occuring on the inside pages between reading the text and picking out the bolded message that will read "Love a Life of Art." The background is slightly complicated with the stripes of color but they take a backseat in the heirchacy with the white and gold text that draws the eye more than the color.

Ch 2 and 3 response

The methodology discussed in these two chapters begins with outlining the various forms of communicating through GD. Each includes different processes that affects the design of the product or the company itself. In my case, I am choosing to use a lateral thinking approach, as described in the readings as using side approaches and odd perspectives to achieve recognition. I want to incorporate this into my piece by designng a setting that manipulates foreground and background to move throughout the museum exhibitions, to fool the audience into a confused sense of either vewing the exhibit or being apart of it. I want this to illustrate the graphic depictions of the museum, as if all those that go to the museum will be transfered into another world. This fits with the veiwers "wants," rather than the vewier's needs.
In my piece, a grid will simnply be used to estbalish layout and form, rather than actually included within the design itself. The typestyles will be intellectually stereotypical, perhaps a type writer style, with serifs that don't include cursive font. In the ways of the Swiss, I want a simple, easy to read font that portrays the history of the museum itself.

Contemporary Design from History

http://www.bethsteffel.com/images/SteffelPrintDesign_f05.gif

This poster models the art nuvo style. It is a very flat, saturated color with outlines and no depth. It has loose form and is very 2D. The poster is for contemporary art show at a museum, so it is being used as an ad just like the art nuveo styles.

Anatomy Discussion

The ipod parody in article one was the most intriguing and also the most dramatic. Right off, you know that the connotation, despite the bright advertising and bright colors, is a very negative one. The central figure for one, has the unmistakable air of Jesus's sacrifice that has formed the basis of Christianity as defined by the vatican. The connotations associated with this cross-like position is very powerful and therefore, it lends that massive influence of this icon to the power of this anti-war poster. Not to mention the KKK references and electric cord details that overshadow the ipod ad. The 1950s andy warhold look-alike was also meaningful, altho not as successful as the ipod. The feminist, Betty Fredan movement was present within the initial content of the central figure, a woman, baking in the foreground. The colors and texture also support a Warhol reference, but the parody exists in the cultural connotations of a woman baking and her cultural role within that time frame.

Iranian GD

From my understanding, I completely agree with this author especially about western gd. Howver I thought it was very interesting how critical he was of his own culture's art and design. Judging from hi description that portrayed their lack motivation, direction, audience, and product loyalty, he might be right. I found it very interesting that gd is used domestically and in small regions, where type plays no part in the advertising and gd revolves around the emotion that it arouses, not by the product itself. This is exactly opposite to the west where everything is consumer driven and ads are based off of the current needs and trends of the people and is constantly changing.

Charity Work

Interesting, although unremarkable and common, this reading warns of the dangers of working for the corporate or charity companies around the world. Corporate, as most people know, work off system of rules and hierarchy with strict visions of their company and their corresponding image. I have worked with corporations trying to design ads for their products and it is as restricting and even more frustrating than the article illustrates. More often than not, the marketing part of the company has a completely different vision of the ad than do their art directors and more often than not, the marketing aspect has no experience with the actual design details. Working between those barriers prove to be tough and therefore, limiting. The dangers and benefits of working with charity, however, was a relatively new concept, although easy to comprehend, when considering the economic implications of what charity is-non profit. In this case it is a balance for all graphic designs to weigh the benefits of either side.

Color

The use of color, as the article described is much more complex than a simple scientific explanation as Sir Isaac Newton attempted to establish. With the newest psychological tests and exploration of the human mind, we are learning that the simplest things in our world, like color, can have a profound explanation on human behavior. Put into the two main categories of cold and warm colors, they have been attributed with changing the emotions of those around these specific colors. They can be interpreted along with symbolism and have been thrown around with the meaning in semiotics. Cultural expectations of history can also change the perception of color. But there is no doubt that color can change even when against a different color. The trends in color help establish the modern culture and what defines our generation.

Response 1-3D marketing

This article stressed the importance of 3D marketing for GD's particularly in book designs, billboards, and packaging. For their book designs, I found the example of the fabric design to be anything but inspirational. Fabric has the classic movement, depth, and texture, but texture has become a very cliche (in my opinion) excuse for these elements. Fabric is used in beginning drawing classes for this same purpose and the fact that it holds little central value for the book other than to enhance the GD's opinion of his own skills shows to me, a lack of creativity and innovation for the GD field. I feel that this movement is heading backwards instead of approaching the subjects and their clients with a fresh mind. However, the acid rain billboard in London was both captivating and interesting in the fact that is played upon the subject of the acid rain's actual presence within our world. This is what I would call "true" 3D art, in the fact that it creates a real presence within our consciousness. The type and materials were simple but the meaning behind it was what made this ad so ingenious.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.