Assignment 1: Creating A New Cookie

For this first assignment, I really wanted to create a cookie that I would want to eat. I didn't want to create something so out of the box, no one would ever want to make it or eat it. I love Christmas and I wanted to use that in the creation of my new cookie.

When I think of Christmas, I think of molasses cookies so I decided I wanted to use that somehow. I started out with the idea that I wanted to change around a molasses cookie recipe. I soon realized that the addition of extra ingredients to molasses cookies didn't work out the way I wanted, the molasses was too strong.

I changed my way of thinking about the assignment and completely started from scratch. I decided to make a list in my creativity notebook of baking ingredients that I liked most.

My List:
-Molasses
-Peanut butter
-Graham crackers
Chocolate chips
-Honey
-Brown sugar
*I also ended up writing down Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper (I really felt like Dr. Pepper fit my theme very well because of its particular taste).

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 12.48.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 12.48.29 AM.png

From this list, I decided to create a molasses cookie with an interesting frosting on the top of it, with chocolate designs on the top. I created a "frosting" with peanut butter, graham crackers, flour, and some Dr. Pepper. Instead of chocolate on the top, I used honey. The constancy was very good for frosting but neither my friends or myself thought the taste suited the molasses cookie.

Icing.JPG

Thumbnail image for Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 12.26.04 AM.png

After my second attempt, I baked a normal molasses recipe (without some parts that I don't like) and also created a weird, brown sugar/Dr. Pepper cookie dough. These two recipes were very similar and complemented each other very nicely. I decided that I wanted to use these recipes together, I just didn't know how.

The first attempt: I used graham crackers as a base, in an attempt to create a "pie crust" on the bottom of the cookie, then created a layer of molasses cookie dough, topped with my Dr. Pepper dough. Even though all of these ingredients tasted good together, the final products looked, rather disgusting. I had found the right combinations of ingredients and now I needed to find the aesthetic appeal.

Thumbnail image for Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 12.30.38 AM.png

The second attempt: Using plastic bags, I attempted to create a "swirl" out of my two doughs. This failed as well; causing my cookies to look a little bit like dog poop (gross). I was also having trouble making the pie crust bottom stay together.

Bags.jpg

Poop cookie.jpg

The third (and final) attempt: While I was attempting to come up with a way to get the cookies together, I tried to think of desserts that I really like and cake pops came into my mind and that's when it hit me! I had to create my cookie in a circular shape, creating more layers as I moved outward. I wanted to use both recipes while also keeping the graham crackers.

Step 1:
I used the molasses dough and created a ball.

Step 1.JPG

Step 2:
I covered the molasses ball in Dr. Pepper dough.

Step 2 - 1.JPG

Step 2 -2.JPG

Step 3:
I rolled the ball of dough in graham crackers.

Step 3 - 1.JPG

Step 3 - 2.JPG

Step 3 - 3.JPG

In the end, the balls of molasses and Dr. Pepper dough, baked together in the oven creating a tie-dye cookie. The graham crackers spread throughout the cookie and gave it a crunch, adding some extra texture. With the flavors together, the cookies tastes a bit like gingerbread with a random taste of molasses with a crunch (and my friends approved of this one!).

Tie Dye.JPG

Tie Dye 2.jpg

Even though I liked the cookie, I felt it still needed a little something extra, so I created a Dr. Pepper glaze and put that on the top. I created the glaze and applied it when the cookies were almost done cooking so the glaze baked into the top of the cookie instead of just seeping through it. This glaze gave the cookie a bit more flavor and created a softer texture on the top which contrasted with the sides and the crunch of the graham crackers.

Glaze 1.JPG

Glaze 2.jpg

The recipes:

Ingredients:

Ingredients.JPG

Molasses cookie cough:
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar

Dr. Pepper cookie dough:
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper (can add more if needed)
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar

Dr. Pepper glaze:
1/4 cup Dr. Pepper
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons milk (or until mixture is a light brown)
*Heat Dr. Pepper on medium on the stovetop alone for 5 minutes, add vanilla, and milk. Turn heat to low. Stir consistently. Add thin layer atop cookies when lightly brown. Return to the oven to bake until cookies are the desired brown.

General Directions:
-Bake at 325 degrees for about 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown), take out, add glaze, cook for 5-10 more minutes (or until desired brown).

I do think that this was a creative idea. I did include ingredients that are commonly used in baking but I wanted to create a cookie that I would want to make in the future. I believe it was creative because the use of the ingredients wasn't typical. Instead of having one dough, I had two and used an outside layer. I also added more to the top of the cookie to make it a bit more different. I also created my own dough using an unusual ingredient, Dr. Pepper. I also created a glaze that complemented the cookie. Even though molasses cookies are common, the combination of the other dough and glaze makes it unique along with the tie-dye effect. Therefore, I give you the Dr. Molasses cookie!

IMG_3552.jpg

You totally rocked this assignment. Not only was I drooling through your post, but was really impressed with your documentation of the process, with your comments on the iterations, and the initial brainstorming discussion.

I have no critique. Not only did you have creative cookie perfection, but also blog post perfection. Bravo!

I like how you approached for your creative cookies. I agree with your idea that no one wants to eat cookies that seem so far from trying, and you decided to make cookies you would want. I think that is a very good approach. And I also like how you learned from your mistakes and started to make a note of baking ingredient.

To be honest, I had never come up with the idea of using Dr. Pepper and molasses together. That’s really interesting, you used two layers, one with common ingredient and the other with untypical one. I believe that is a very creative idea. Overall, you documented the process of your cookies very well and it was easy to follow, and you recorded anything you came up with while cooking and outside cooking to help you improve. I really like the combination of Dr. Pepper and molasses. Very good job and nice effort.

You documented your process very thoroughly, and it shows in your blog! I really enjoyed all of your process work, adding what worked and didn't work for you gives me a good idea of the approach you took for the assignment. Also, the way that you went about your assignment, starting with Christmas, was similar to a mind map, and also very effective.
SO COOL how you thought to add Dr. Pepper to the frosting and dough, depending on where it worked! The aesthetic of the final cookie greatly improved as well in response to your multiple iterations.
My only suggestion would be to maybe start with more than one focus ingredient and see how many iterations of different tasting cookies you can come up with!