Assignment 6!

For this assignment, I began by taking my original "top ten" and I searched for them to see if they already existed on Google and Amazon. For the majority of my ideas, nothing came up but I did hit a rough spot for a couple, causing me to go back and pick some different ideas.

The top ten ideas that I ended up with were:

1. Heated Ice Fishing Pole
2. Draw-Skis
3. Musical Sled
4. Holiday Scented Facial Tissue
5. Collapsible Cookie-Cutters
6. Chocolate Icicle Stir Stick
7. Helpful "Carrying" Ribbon
8. Gift-Getter App
9. Money Watch
10. Musical Ribbon

I then used Facebook and sent out a survey about these products. I asked three questions because I wanted to know if the participants thought that the product was marketable, even if it wasn't something that they would personally want.

Some of the general statistics of age and gender can be beneficial because it informs me of the people taking the survey.

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 11.25.34 PM.png

I asked the same three questions for each product:
1. Could you see yourself buying this for yourself? Someone else? Both? Neither?
2. Could you see someone else buying this?
3. How much would you pay for this?

I received 32 responses from my survey and ended up with my new top 5:

1. Heated Ice Fishing Pole
2. Musical Sled
3. Holiday Scented Facial Tissue
4. Chocolate Icicle Stir Stick
5. Collapsible Cookie Cutters

Product 1: Heated Ice Fishing Pole

For this product, the survey results were as follows.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 1.24.24 AM.png

The results for the pricing had costs ranging from $10-$150. It is obvious from some of the responses that many people don't fish, as it is impossible to buy any quality rod for $10. Even though there was a large range in pricing, the prices of ice fishing rods that are on the market fell into this range.

NOVEL

For my "state of the art" 2x2, I compared brand name (expensive) and generic (cheaper prices) with short and long length rods.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 1.08.14 AM.png

From this, I found a place of possible market potential for a rod that was reasonably priced while having a medium length.

I then found a patent that related to my idea, which incorporated heat into the eyelet of the fishing pole for de-icing.

FEASIBLE

Biggest concern: My biggest concern while thinking about this product would be the cost. I would want to try to find all of the individual parts for as cheap as I could in order to keep the pricing a bit lower.

I then found general costs to find a rough manufacturing cost.
Cork grip: $9.00
Fiberglass rod: $2.00
Disposable hand-warmers: $1.00
Plastic: $1.00

Approximate manufacturing cost: $26.00

Product 2: Musical Sled

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 1.42.34 AM.png

The pricing results were anywhere from $7.00 to $65.00.

NOVEL

For my 2x2 for sleds, I used plastic and other materials with cheap prices and expensive prices.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 2.08.54 AM.png

From this 2x2, I found potential market potential in creating a very strong plastic sled at a reasonable price along with the addition of music.

I then found a patent that was related to sleds.

https://www.google.com/patents/CA2754798A1?cl=en&dq=snow+sled&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LN2eUumZGMamygHywoDYCw&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ

FEASIBLE

My biggest concern with this product is the cost. The amount of materials needed is bigger than the other products and the incorporation of electronics also makes the pricing more complicated.

General costs:
Rope: $2.00
Plastic: $2.00
Speakers: $10.00
Cable: $6.00
System: $20.00

Rough manufacturing cost: $80.00

Product 3: Peppermint Scented Facial Tissue

The results from the survey:

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 2.20.37 AM.png

The price points that my respondents said were anywhere from $1.00-$8.00.

NOVEL

For my 2x2 for this product, I used plain tissue and "add-on" tissue (lotion, strong, soft, etc) as well as branded tissue and generic tissue.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 3.37.58 AM.png

From this 2x2, I found a possible market potential in cheap facial tissue that has an "add-on" of peppermint.

I also found a patent that is related to facial tissue. I felt that this patent related to my product because it is a way that facial tissue can be individualized which is part of the point of the facial tissue idea that I came up with.

https://www.google.com/patents/EP2102800A2?cl=en&dq=facial+tissue&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zOieUuiHO6ThyQHQ4YDwDg&ved=0CGgQ6AEwBw

FEASIBLE

My biggest concern with this product is making the peppermint integrated into the tissue. I am unsure of how I would do that at the moment.

General costs:
Wood pulp: $0.10
Peppermint: $0.50
Cardboard: $0.20

Rough manufacturing cost: $1.60

Product 4: Chocolate Stir Stick

Survey results:

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 3.45.35 AM.png

The pricing varied from $1.00 per stick to about $6.00 for a pack of sticks.

NOVEL

For my 2x2 I explored expensive chocolate and cheaper priced chocolate as well as individual sales and packages.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 4.07.39 AM.png

From this, I found that a possible market potential is individual, middle priced sale of these products or ones similar.

I then found a patent that is similar.

FEASIBLE

My biggest concern with this product is somehow figuring out a way to keep the top of the stir stick from melting along with the rest of the stick, or a way to make the stick last a fair amount of time.

General costs:
Chocolate: $1.40

Rough manufacturing cost: $2.80

Product #5: Collapsible Cookie Cutters

The survey results for this product are as follows:

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 4.53.38 AM.png

The pricing that they said they would pay for this product was anywhere in the range of $1.00 for an individual cutter to $10.00 for a pack.

NOVEL

For my 2x2 about cookie cutters, I explored expensive cookie cutters and cheaper prices as well as metal cookie cutters and plastic ones.

Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 2.54.32 PM.png

From this 2x2, I found the possible market potential of a cheaper metal cookie cutter that collapses.

I then found a patent that is similar. This patent is similar in the sense that both products are designed to assist the user with their cookie-cutters.

https://www.google.com/patents/US8458814?dq=cookie+cutter&hl=en&sa=X&ei=o5SfUuWDC8mwyQGpwoH4Cg&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBA

FEASIBLE

My biggest concern with this product would be to make it actually able to collapse.

General costs:
Metal: $0.20

Rough manufacturing cost: $0.40

For this assignment, I really focused on the aspect of cost because from my survey I gathered the fact that people don't really like to spend that much money if it can be avoided. In order for a product to be popular it needs to be a fair price and function properly.

*All photos are from Amazon.com

Your blog post is definitely the most thorough one I've reviewed this week, and definitely has the best layout! I really liked how you grouped all the sections for each of your five products, so it was easier to go through and get all your data about it at once. It would have been nice to see your sketches of the products, to see how you'd designed them. It was hard to picture them because obviously, they don't exist yet! But I think a lot of your products have good potential, I especially love the Chocolate Stir Stick!

The layout of your blog is very clear. Addressing all parts of the assignment together for each product is something I wish I would have done! What survey engine did you use? Doing the age/gender questions could be very useful in your final designs - maybe you could use that data to tailor your final product to a certain gender/age group market. Adding more descriptions to each product would be helpful for people who haven't been following your blog. Also, the 2x2 matrices were a little difficult to read. I'm not sure how you would make them easier to read based on the required image format, but it's just a thought. Overall, I enjoyed reading through your blog.

I think that the heated ice fishing pole has some good potential. The other one I really like is the peppermint tissue! I would buy that. It's definitely a feasible option.

Hi Taylor,

It was good to get the ethnographic data about your survey participants. It looks like you were very thorough in your preparation, which undoubtedly helped your success. Adding the negative result (Neither) and requiring an answer was a good idea. You might assume that a null result was a negative, but it might have just meant indifference or a skipped question.

Peppermint Scented Facial Tissue is interesting. While I wouldn't use it, I am confident my wife would buy this! I wonder if the peppermint would aid concentration when one's head is foggy from a cold.

I think the best idea for Tuesday might be the heated fishing pole. Instead of heating the whole pole, did you consider making a sleeve for the grip? That way you would have a product that would work with the customer's favorite rod, rather than needing to develop a new device and find a new audience on not just the heat but the strength of the fishing pole's qualities. This might be a case where it is better to supplement an existing product to reach a greater audience and have less of a technical hurdle.