Toads - a poem by Eileen L. Ziesler

While I realize that a book about a toad isn't exactly salamander material, it's close enough, being a related amphibian, for me to to justify a blog entry.

While attending the Rusk County Dairy Breakfast in Ladysmith Wisconsin, I met Eileen Ziesler a local author who has self-published a book entitled "Toads". She took the time to not only chat with me about the book, amphibians, and conservation but to sing a lullaby (which I believe she should record and add to the book) to my youngest son. Throughout the area, Eileen (along with a rather large toad companion) visits schools and libraries reading from her book. This is, of course, an idea which I admire and understand as I see in my children, and felt as a child once myself, the amazement of experiencing the natural world and discovering the role that amphibians play in it. Her book is available for purchase online at Toad House Publishing which also includes links to purchase some of the prints of the fantastic watercolor images from the book. I highly recommend it.

The artwork and text of this book are both amazing. Children love it and are fascinating by Eileen's friend the toad. For those "Toads" lovers who live in the Spooner area, you can buy the book at Black Iris Gallery on Hwy 63. Please be a locavore--buy local.