Whats in a name?

Naming your band or group is a very strange thing. It's funny to look at different genres of music and the names that they pick. For many itís about marketing, and so the majority of the groups in a genre have similar names. Sometimes itís just the artist's actual name or nickname. Does it make a difference? Will people buy a record or like an artist better because of the name? I'd say that it has a huge influence on the public's perspective, and will help sell a record. Letís take a look at some names:

Heavy Metal Group names usually have something very aggressive as their name this marketing fits perfectly with the genre.
(Alice in Chains, System of a Down, Cannibal Corpse)

What I find really amusing is that so many of them are only one word and are often monosyllabic. I could make up hundreds of potentially successful names!
(Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, Slayer, Poison, Orgy, Korn, Tool)

Country music most often uses their actual names or a stage name. I assume this is because they are really trying to sell the person here, which is true of the radio-pop music as well.
(Country: Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw)
(Pop: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake)

Mainstream rap music is most often a ďcoolĒ nickname of some kind, sometimes derived from the artistsí name. They also use misspellings of words.
(Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, Ludacris, Lilí Jon, Nas, C Murder, Notorious BIG)

Underground rap music is relatively similar to mainstream in their naming, however many are slightly more clever (strange?) variations on names or words. These names usually donít sound too tough.
(Del the Funkee Homosapien, Slug, Eyedea, Brother Ali, MF Doom, Pep Love, Aesop Rock, Cunninglynguists, I Self Devine)

This should help you create your own perfectly marketable name! Letís see I think Iíll go with Ö

Posted by lars1396 at May 25, 2005 4:41 PM