Cash Money

Most people who have seen MTV, BET or listened to the radio recently are familiar with the “bling bling” style of rap. The rappers who are a part of this movement rap entirely about their money or possessions. This can be cash, jewelry, cars, clothing, houses, and more. This has always been present in rap music, as there is an element of competition involved. It used to be used as a punch line but now many rappers use this as their only content. The label The Cash Money Millionaires is made up entirely of rappers who use this style. My assumption is that people are drawn to this because of the superstar power it emphasizes. In reality it is just a lie that is being sold to the public. Many of these groups write their first ‘bling’ album before they actually have any money. It is the audience that is making them rich, so they have more material to write about. It also has a negative effect on society. People try to make as much money as possible and end up squandering it on unnecessary items such as necklaces, watches, and spinning rims. This style of rapping is even shallower than gangster rap. The majority of these artists have very little or no skill.

P.s. If you would like to give me all your money, I’d be happy to tell you what I spend it on.

“Diamonds worn by everybody that’s in my click
Man I got the price of a mansion 'round my neck and wrist” – B.G. “Bling Bling”

Posted by lars1396 at June 2, 2005 2:19 PM