Minnesota Twins

I saw over thanksgiving break that Torii Hunter left the Twins and signed with Los Angeles. This did not come as a surprise, but it still hurt to lose him because he was the team’s best outfielder and he was favorite baseball player growing up. A few weeks later the team traded Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett to Tampa Bay for Delmon Young and a few minor league players. I thought that this was a pretty good deal for us. Garza was one of our most talented young players, but we have a lot of talented pitchers and I think that we can replace him. Bartlett was a pretty solid shortstop, but was not a team cornerstone and we can probably replace him with a young player or a free-agent. Getting Delmon Young was very good for us. He is only 22 years old and is one of the best young outfielders in the majors. He was the number 1 overall pick in the draft a few years ago. He doesn’t play center field so he can’t replace Torii, but he is a player that the franchise can build around. I don’t know anything about the other players that we got in the trade, but maybe they can help us out in the future as well. There has also been a lot of talk about trading Johan Santana, and the team has been talking with Boston and New York. I think that we should trade him if we can get a good deal in return, because his contract is up after the season and I don’t think that we are good enough to make the playoffs this season anyway.

Minnesota Twins

Minnesota Twins

Minnesota Twins

The End of the Semester

The first semester of college is almost over. I hope that it went well for everyone. It went pretty well for me. Being a freshman, when the year started I didn’t really know what to expect. I was nervous about my classes and about meeting new people. The campus seemed so large and everything was a bit overwhelming. I was also expecting college to be non-stop parties and crazy stuff going on all the time. I learned pretty quickly that this campus is not like that, and if I partied every night I was not going to do well in my classes. But I have enjoyed college a lot so far, and have realized that there is a lot to do other than partying. The sporting events are really fun to go to, and we are right by downtown and there is a lot of fun stuff to do over there. But as much as I enjoyed the first semester of college, I am definitely ready for winter break. Classes have been tough and I think that we all need a break from homework and studying. It will be good to have a few weeks to relax and recover from a stressful first semester. I also miss spending time with my family and my friends from high school, ad I definitely miss living at my house. Having my own room, not having to share a bathroom with a whole hall, and eating good home-cooked food will be greatly appreciated.

I drove up to Duluth to spend the weekend with some friends from High School. Me and four other people drove up on Friday night. My first impression of the campus there is that it’s a lot different than down here. Not only is it much smaller, but it is separated from the rest of the city. I thought pretty hard about going to school there but I am glad that I decided to come here instead. It seemed like there isn’t much to do up there other than drinking. So anyways, we got up there and stayed at my friends apartment. My friend and his roommates are the biggest slobs that I have ever seen. I could hardly walk through the apartment without tripping on empty beer cases, dirty clothes, and various other stuff. But we all had a really good time. We were pretty much snowed in because of the storm so we just hung out in the dorms. I met a lot of people and everybody seemed really cool and easy going. My friend threw a party in his apartment and it was really fun, but the people up there party a little bit harder than what I’m used to. I don’t think I got to bed until about 6 am each night so I was pretty much cashed by the end of the weekend. But it was good to get away from the campus here for a weekend, and it was good to see friends that I hadn’t seen since the summer.

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving break, I know that I have so far. It was nice to get a much needed break from class and have some time to see friends and family. Luckily for me, I live in the Twin Cities so the trip home was only a few minutes long. We had our extended family over for thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, and I had a very good time seeing all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. After our company left I went out and saw some friends that I hadn’t seen since summer. It was great to get caught up on everything and see how everyone was doing. It was especially nice to see a couple of friends that are back from serving in the marines. Being back in town for the first time was a strange experience though. All of the spots that we used to go to don’t seem quite the same anymore, and everyone seems like they have changed a lot in only a few months. But it seems like all of my friends are doing well, and that’s good. Unfortunately I do have a lot of homework to do these last couple days of break, especially working on the research paper. It seems like in college there is always something that needs to be done for some class.

I was thinking this weekend about how it seems like all of my classes started off really easy but have been getting harder and harder every week. The first month or so of school I rarely had any homework in any of my classes and the quizzes and tests were all really easy. My economics class was all review from high school economics, and my Norwegian class was all really basic stuff. But lately the material in all of my classes has been getting harder and harder and professors have been assigning extra projects on top of all of the everyday stuff. Its almost like my professors tricked me into thinking that college was easy so they could set me up to fail later. We have only about a month left in the semester, and I have a bunch of projects to do in my Norwegian class, all of the papers and stuff in writing class, and then homework and finals in precalc and economics. This last month of the semester is not going to be fun. I know that it’s not that big of a deal if my grades aren’t great one semester, but these are probably the easiest classes that I will have in my college career so I want to get good grades now because it will get a lot harder later on.

So on Saturday I went to see a movie called Lions for Lambs at Oak Street Cinema. It was showing for free so a friend and I decided to go. I was excited to see it because it had a star-studded cast and it looked really good in the previews. But I was actually pretty disappointed with the film. The film was centered-around the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq, and took an extremely liberal angle toward both issues. Whether or not that viewpoint is correct or not I thought that the anti-government views expressed in the film were tired and unoriginal. The film did not tell me anything that I didn’t already know. The film structure was an interesting concept, as it had three separate plots that each occurred simultaneously over the span of one hour. But the movie was only an hour and a half and this was not long enough to develop the story. This lack of plot development caused the ending to seem very vague and abrupt. The movie had very good acting and a pretty clever script, but that wasn’t enough to make up for the obvious political rhetoric and flawed structure. It seemed to me like director Robert Redford was just using it as an opportunity to get out his political views and stir up anti-war sentiment. Luckily I got to see the movie for free, because I would’ve been pissed off if I had blown my money on it.
Lambs_first_poster.jpg

tubby.jpg

I was thinking recently about men’s basketball at the U. I have been a fan of the team here since I was a little kid, but most years I have not had much to cheer about. While Minnesota was annually one of the top teams in country in the 90s, they have not had much success since being penalized for the scandal that occurred under former coach Clem Haskins. Haskins’ replacement, Dan Monson, was able to make only one tournament appearance before being fired last season. Last seasons team won only nine games and set a team-record for most losses in a season. But with the arrival of new coach Tubby Smith I think that the program here can become one of the best in the Big-10. Tubby had a lot of success at Kentucky, including winning the National Championship in 1998. He is known for getting the most out his players and should be able to get more out of the current roster than Monson did. He should also be able to bring in some talented recruits. While he currently doesn’t have a lot of talent to work with and it will probably take a few years before Tubby can rebuild the program and get us back into the NCAA Tournament, I think that hiring him was an excellent move and I think that Minnesota will once again be able to compete with the top programs.

Minnesota Twins

As a Twins fan, I was recently thinking about what next year will look like. Torii Hunter, the teams best hitter and fielder last season, is unlikely to be resigned. There is not anyone currently on the roster that can replace him next season. The Twins are already a poor hitting team with Hunter, so I can only imagine what the offense will look like next season without him. Hopefully Joe Mauer, Michael Cuddyer and Nick Punto can all rebound from their poor performances last season, but that can't be counted on. It is also pretty much guaranteed with Carl Pohlad as owner that the front office will not be willing to spend much to improve the lineup. That leaves the team with mostly the same players from last season, minus Torii Hunter. The pitching staff should be pretty solid next year though, especially if Francisco Liriano comes back healthy from elbow surgery. The team has Johan Santana, a perennial Cy Young candidate, and several talented young pitchers in Scott Baker, Boof Bonser, Matt Garza, Kevin Slowey and Liriano. The team also had one of the best bullpens in the majors last season, and all of the core relievers should return, including Joe Nathan, one of the top closers in the American League. But all-in-all, I don't think that it will be enough to get into the playoffs. Competing against Strong teams in Cleveland and Detroit, the Twins will need a good offensive showing to go along with a good pitching staff. With the players that they have, that appears to be very unlikely.