« Minnesota Twins | Main | Minnesota Twins »

Minnesota Twins

I saw over thanksgiving break that Torii Hunter left the Twins and signed with Los Angeles. This did not come as a surprise, but it still hurt to lose him because he was the team’s best outfielder and he was favorite baseball player growing up. A few weeks later the team traded Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett to Tampa Bay for Delmon Young and a few minor league players. I thought that this was a pretty good deal for us. Garza was one of our most talented young players, but we have a lot of talented pitchers and I think that we can replace him. Bartlett was a pretty solid shortstop, but was not a team cornerstone and we can probably replace him with a young player or a free-agent. Getting Delmon Young was very good for us. He is only 22 years old and is one of the best young outfielders in the majors. He was the number 1 overall pick in the draft a few years ago. He doesn’t play center field so he can’t replace Torii, but he is a player that the franchise can build around. I don’t know anything about the other players that we got in the trade, but maybe they can help us out in the future as well. There has also been a lot of talk about trading Johan Santana, and the team has been talking with Boston and New York. I think that we should trade him if we can get a good deal in return, because his contract is up after the season and I don’t think that we are good enough to make the playoffs this season anyway.