Self Superhero Lesson Plan

ComicPage1.jpg

ComicPage2.jpg

Attachment to Lesson Plan: SuperheroeLessonPlan.docx

Attachment to PowerPoint: Superherolessonplanpresentation.pptx

Grade Level: 6-8 (middle school)
Time needed: 8 Days

Focus: The focus of this lesson plan is to address media literacy in today's society particularly focusing on comic book superheroes.

Objectives:
a) Develop and artistic statement, including how audience and occasion influence creative choices (6.2.1.2.3).
b) Analyze and interpret a variety of media artworks using established criteria (6.4.1.2.1).
c) Demonstrate use of a variety of tools, materials and techniques in media arts based on the characteristics of the hardware and software (6.1.2.2.1).

Motivational Resources:
Blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/latuf003/rachel_latuff%20blog/
Comic Book examples
Power Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm2RlrnmMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QnuUNAUBRbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ly04xcEmmlA

Art Materials:
100 pages of 8.5 X 11 Printing Paper
100 pages of 10x12 Construction paper
30 Pencils
Scanner
20-30 Computers
20-30 Flash drives
20-30 Adobe Photoshop Program
Printer
50 Sketch Paper
20-30 Black Sharpies
Word Document
20-30 Glue sticks
20-30 Scissors
Stapler

Introduction to Lesson:

The media is one of the strongest influences on our society. No matter how hard we may try, we cannot escape today's media culture. Media literacy is a way to help students control the interpretation of what they see and hear. Media literacy is the ability to analyze the messages presented to us in everyday life and in today's digital world. Technology is all around us but using it and understanding it are to very different meanings that need to be addressed in today's world. Being media literate is about being able to notice what is or is not there. It is the instinct to question a production's motives and values and to be aware of how these factors influence content. There are important questions to think about when viewing an advertisement like: how did they capture my attention?, who is the message intended for?, whose voices are or are not heard?, etc. Media literacy is not about having the right answers. It is about asking the right questions.

One of the greatest examples to use for understanding media literacy in our culture is "Iconic Superheroes" and the huge influence they can have on many people. The superhero iconic image has been a part of our culture, ever since the first superhero, Superman was created in 1938. Within its context and history, superheroes are used for commenting on social and political issues as well as been known to reveal idealized popular values within the western culture (Superhero, 2010). The superhero image over the years has evolved widely through pop culture and the media. In the United States today, superhero movies have soared into our societies through large blockbuster movies, television shows, games, and comic books (Jha, 2010). Our media alone has spent 12 billion dollars on influencing children regarding superhero styles, qualities, and perceptions (Jha, 2010). The media uses kid's meals at restaurants as well as clothing to emphasize their idea of the "awesome role model" for today's children (Jha, 2010). Superheroes have always infiltrated controversy as a role model for society, however because of the change in pop culture and push into digital technology, Mass media has created Superheroes to be further intensely transformed, exploited, and even seek aspects of injustice, which is contradicting term in the superhero realm (Jha, 2010). Today many superheroes actually use justice and caring as a kind of excuse for violence, explosions, and revenge. The Dark Knight movie from 2008 raised over $533,000,000, making it one of the most watched movies of all time. In the movie, Batman is filled with luxury. In one scene he asks his servant for a modest car, only to choose a very expensive, Lamborghini. The other latest movie, Iron Man also emphasizes fame and wealth as the only ways of being successful in life (Jha, 2010). Both examples reveal idealized fortunes and the greedy ideals of consumption that further promote the expansion of overconsumption in the United States. Superheroes also maintain a level of an impossibly perfect physique on both female and male forms. Female bodies carry the look a Barbie doll and are constantly seen with unrealistic and tight clothing, and very few carry a leading role within the storyline. (Jha, 2010) While the growth of diversity with the superheroes has expanded the dominant standard image is still Caucasian, young to early middle age, and middle or upper class (Superhero, 2010). The X-men series has developed roles of both male and female characters, however the movies focus more on explosions and revenge that develop into adult rated material that is questionable for kids. The downside with movies is its difficulty to help develop characters more and make the more personable (Jha, 2010). Furthermore, if a child doesn't live up to the expectations of being number 1 just like their favorite superhero, the media has also pronounced its influence on and promotion of becoming a slacker, sidekick, or class clown (Jha, 2010). Movies like the Green Hornet, and Hancock all have some act of emphasizing the "slacker/Careless" role for comedy (Jha, 2010). The best thing to do regarding superheroes is to become media savvy and be able to find lies within marketer's tools on influence. Superheroes can have a positive impact for our society. Superheroes aren't just super strength, and good looks. They should embody the act of justice and/or positivity and good will. Everyone can be a superhero in his or her own right in the everyday world.

Students will learn about media literacy through comic book heroes. There will be a discussion about what is a hero, how the media describes a hero, and how the media's description of a hero impacts us, the viewers. After the discussion, students will then create a 1-2 page comic strip of themselves as a hero in a daily life situation, first by drawing on paper. Once their comic strip is complete, the class will then scan their comic strips onto the computer. Adobe Photoshop will be used to learn how to draw digitally, add color, dialogue bubbles and text, and then finally to print the completed comic strip.

MOTIVATIONAL VIDEOS TO SHOW STUDENTS

">">

TO USE THE HANCOCK VIDEO ABOVE IN CLASS SKIP TO 33 SECONDS TO THE WALTER WHALE SCENE

">

The are two links below that bring you to the Podcast I listened to in regards to superheroes today and its role in the media. You can skip to 27:23 to bring you right to the superhero discussion. It is Presented by Alok Jha and produced by Andy Duckworth
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 15 August 2010 19.01 EDT

http://download.guardian.co.uk/audio/kip/science/series/science/1268150561366/9514/gdn.sci.100308.ad.Science-Weekly-podcast-Simon-Singh.mp3

Website link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/audio/2010/aug/16/science-weekly-podcast-smart-swarm-superheroes

Bibliography

Jha, Alak, narr. "Science Weekly: Superheroes- a warning." Science Weekly. Andy Duckworth, 15 August 2010. web. 11 Dec 2011. .
"Superhero." Wikimedia Foundation Inc, 2010. Print. .

With this weeks blog post I research an journal article found from UMD's library database. The article I found was iPed: Pedagogy for Digital text production. What the article focused on was the global transformation of reading, writing, and communication using new media technologies. iPed gives research and ideas put into practice for teachers innovating digital production in the classrooms. The article writes about the process of using lesson plans designs for understanding media literacy, creating websites, blog pages, podcasts, online comics, and small documentaries. The students learn hands on digital research and ideas within the classroom. Not only does the article talk about the idea of technology in the classroom but also provides certain kinds of lesson plans that can be used to address the new movement in education.

The article first reveals a picture showing the ideas for creative digital text production, breaking it up into 4 equal parts. By using iPed, the students gain certain skills and concepts.

ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-73-1.jpeg

The article then breaks the learning skills for creating a webpage, blog page, podcast, and movie page. Furthur through reading the article it also lists viable questions to ask the students regarding digital technology, art, and literacy.

ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-74-1.jpeg

What I found very helpful was the fact that the article list questions regarding what the teacher should have the students address critically.

Here are some of the questions the article lists regarding websites,

"* What is this website about?
* What is the purpose of the website?
* Who created the website?
* Who will benefit from the website?
* What are the features of the website?
* What does the website suggest about people of different ages?
* What does the website suggest about girls and boys?
* What does the website suggest about people from different cultures?
* Can you trust the information in this website? Why or why not?
* What do you like or dislike about the website? * Do you have a different view? Why?

Here are some of the questions the article lists regarding blogs,

* Why am I creating this blog?
* What text features (e.g., words, images, audio) will best suit my purpose?
* Who is my intended audience?
* Who else potentially has access to my blog?
* What information about myself should I share or hide?
* How does my blog build on the contributions of my peers in the discussion thread?
* How do my blog entries show respect for my teacher and others in my class (e.g., manners, language use)?
* What do my blog entries say about people of different ages, occupations, and cultures?"

The article also lists lesson plan concepts it gives an Assessment sheet for the teacher.

ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-80-1.jpeg

The article ends with explaining reasons why using iPed for learning. Here are there 10 reasons,
"1. Authentic literacies--Text production in iPed involves communication to real audiences beyond the classroom, rather than the audience of one, the teacher.
2. Digital literacies--Students are taught the technical knowledge necessary to participate meaningfully in a society where print is increasingly digitalized.
3. Conventional literacies--Writing skills, text structure, grammar, spelling, and punctuation are taught, practiced, and assessed within new digital formats.
4. Multimodal literacy's--Students have opportunities to use multiple modes to communicate meaning by combining words, images, audio, gestural, and spatial elements in their texts.
5. Creative text production--Text production becomes more than words on a page, allowing for creative modes of design, production, and dissemination.
6. Critical literacies--Students are taught to think critically about the interests served by the media they encounter and the texts they produce.
7. Comparative and informal assessment--Teachers can make comparable judgments about students' texts, and students receive informal feedback from genuine community audiences.
8. Time on task--The support of the visual interface during instruction and writing can assist disengaged writers to maintain attention on the screen.
9. Distributed expertise--Learning is collaborative and distributed among peers, progressively reducing the dependence of students on the teacher.
10. Problem solving--Students are encouraged to solve design constraints and technical problems collaboratively and independently."

What I love about this article is the fact that is giving lesson plan ideas for my own classroom in the future. It's not just talking about the movement to digital based learning but rather explains how teachers can benefit from the movement and make it better for students. It's important for students to undergo a process for learning the ways of websites, blogs, podcasts, etc. Art classrooms are perfect for this because art breaks down concepts all the way from the very beginning. Many classes like math, science, or history won't be able to break down digital media like art classes can.

This is a video I watched my freshman year when I attend school at the College of St. Scholastica with my Introduction to Teaching class. I found it very powerful and it what the first thing I saw that put into perspective how important it is for teachers to become innovative 21st century educators and give students knowledge of how to use technology in a positive way.

">

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/lessonplans/technology/webdesign.html

*****This was a website I found regarding how to create a child friendly version of a website! It also has many other tools and resources for teachers.*****

Citation
Levido, Amanda, and Kathy Ann Mills. "iPed: pedagogy for digital text production." The Reading Teacher 65.1 (2011): 80+. Academic OneFile. Web. 30 Nov. 2011.

Link to article: http://go.galegroup.com.libpdb.d.umn.edu:2048/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA269228952&v=2.1&u=mnauduluth&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w

Reaction To Student Workshop Group

Over the weeks the digital methods class has been working with students and animation. I was the mentor leader for two girls Mya and Paula. For their animation project they have decided to create a cut-paper animation film. The project in the end turned out very successful and I was completely thrilled to see the results. The experience of being able to work with students and animation has helped myself a lot in regards to working with children, computers, and animation.

What I found worked out very well was was how well the story developed and how well Mya, Paula, Sarah, and myself were all able to work together so well. Everyone complimented each other well with certain skills and ideas. At first the girls were a little stuck with what to create. I told them they could create characters and maybe that would help them decide the story-line. Once they started using all of the craft materials the ideas started to pick up. I suggested that maybe the girls could start off with a stage. Once I had that idea they completely became inspired and created the rest of the story. The story line they come up with excited me as much as it excited them. I think that is why the video turned out so great. I was a mentor but tried to be more of a friend at the same time. We were able to add so many scenes because whole the young girl worked on characters, Sarah and I created the backgrounds for them. There was a system so to speak and we were all on the same page. When it was time to add sound and create a title and credits the girls picked everything out while I edited it and made it smooth. I was amazed at how well they adapted to garage band and I movie. They were almost pros and they were some of the youngest students in the workshop. As for considering what I could have done better I feel I could have tried to let them operate the camera more. I felt we would be losing track of time and wouldn't be able to finish the video on time. However, the girls ended up finishing early. More practice with the camera would make them more comfortable with the device. I also feel Paula always had more to say and was more determined to create the animation in a certain way. Mya was more reserved or shy. She still had a huge part in the process but overall Paula always had a little more say. For my near future I will have to watch students that may be more reserved and alway make sure things are okay with them. Nevertheless, Overall I felt it was a very successful group project and overall successful workshop. I was very excited and thankful for the group that I had and how smooth the process was.

Final Video Below:
Title: Stuck

">

Portrait Lesson Plan that Incorporates Drawing and Photoshop

On of the websites I happened to find was http://digitalartanddesign.org/. The great thing abotu this website that it offered great art lesson plan relating to digital technology. It has links for project is specifically in Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Flash. The website then lists various projects as well as all of the specific tools that will be learned in the process. It was hard to choose just one project to focus, however I did find one that I felt would be a good introducer of Photoshop to students. The project is called Portrait project Introduction to Photoshop and the Pen tool. The website breaks down the projects into days and lists various steps, including learning various tools for certain days. The children first begin by drawing a picture of themselves and then scan and use it as a reference for their photoshop portraits. I really liked that fact that the lesson plan incorporates the traditional art drawing as well as fusing it with todays modern use of technology. The students in the end are getting the best of both worlds. What I also like best is if the teacher/or myself are in a hurry the website actually gives you a downloadable powerpoint presentation along with steps and examples. ALong with that the website also gives you step by step process of how to work all of the tools in both movie and picture form. It is a perfect website for both the student and the teacher to use as a reference.

Examples of a tutorial picture from the website.
color_range.jpeg

hard-round-brush.png

Examples of student work below from the website.

example3-portrait.jpeg

Steven.jpeg

example7.jpeg

I created some own portrait animations below. These are great gifts to give to people. This type of lesson plan could also be implemented around the holidays to possible have the students create works of art for someone they deem as special. They can be printed and mounted in a frame to add some extra dimension to the piece.

MeWinstonsmall.jpg

maddiecats.jpg

****** I would like to try this particular lesson plan to see how the website could benefit me. If the lesson was successful I would like to use this website as a tool for my own lesson plans. I could fuse my own ideas with the help of the websites tutorials, examples, and links. This is a great website that all teachers and art education majors should know about. It makes the computer art all the more simple. Websites like this can make the process of teaching digital art all the more simple.

Citation:
"Portrait Projects: Introsduction to Photoshop and the Pen Tool." Digital Art and Design. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov 2011. .

Bring objects to Life: Pixel Animation Lesson Plan

Pixel (Stop-motion) Animation below created by myself with assistance of Mike Joyce.
Title: What you Don't See

">

Lesson Plan Attatchment: PixelAnimationLessonPlan.docx

Grade Level: 9-12
Time Needed: 9 Class Periods

Focus: To gain an understanding for the process of digital animation as well as study the history of animations affect on culture and learning how to work in an animation group to complete a final movie.

Objectives:
a. Students will be able to identify the elements in media art such as image, sound, space, time, motion, and sequence. (0.1.1.2.1)
b. Create a single, complex work or multiple works in media arts. (9.2.1.2.1)
c. Analyze, interpret, and valuate a variety of media artworks by applying self-selected criteria on knowledge of how criteria affect criticism. (9.4.1.2.2)

Motivational Resources:
YouTube Video
Steamboat Willie Clip: http://youtu.be/nlM60Nwc6CE
Target Commercial Pixilation: http://youtu.be/_IVgo9WEUEc
PES Spaghetti: http://youtu.be/qBjLW5_dGAM
PES Skateboarder: http://youtu.be/_5IqwECL6bo
PES Coins: http://youtu.be/YsOaTEouwpA
Body Motion: http://youtu.be/GNkyYh1N7sw
PowerPoint
Blog URL: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/latuf003/rachel_latuff%20blog/

Art Materials:
Adobe Photoshop CS.5
Garage Band
IMovie
Mac Computers
Storyboard Paper (5x7inches)
Pencil/Pens
Digital Camera
Tripod for Camera
Memory Card
Object that was randomly selected by each group

Introduction to Lesson:

Digital technology is one of the newest tools for creating art. Over the past decade multimedia has flourished into today's society and has created a large imprint on our overall way of seeing and creating. Animation is one of the great ways to explore the tools of digital media as well as reveal a history of how it has affected our culture in many ways. In this lesson plan the students will explore in particular, pixel animation. Working in a group of 3-4 the students will create a unique short animation movie that creates a unique story. Each group will choose one object at random and then explore the possibilities of using the chosen object into the film. The students will then with their object draw together a storyboard and pitch it to the teacher. Only after the storyboard is complete and pitched with success will the teacher then allow the student actual put their story into the beginning process of animation. The students can use the entire inside of the school parameters for their project as long as they do not disturb other classrooms in session. Once the field process is complete the students will then put the story into Photoshop, IMovie, and garage band, creating a unified final rendering of the group's video.

In order to create pixilation animations it is vital to understand the history as well as how it works and its place in the media. Animation is a graphic representation to create movement from something still (Meyers). To animate something the creator has a series of drawings/or objects and that slightly change with movement. This is mainly done with a camera. Each captured scene or "picture" is called a frame and is then put into a series of quick succession (Meyers). In order to create an animation, people must first come up with a storyboard or concept of idea. This is a narrative of what is to happen throughout the pictures and film. Humans have been creating stories ever since the stone ages. They created images on cave walls with organic pigment using only their mouth, hands, and small tools (Cothren, Stokstad) Ever since then our societies throughout the world continues to create stories and display their history through art (Meyers). Storyboarding would soon evolve into something that involved a lot of work and a large amount of people. The invention on the celluloid, which is a colorless material, used to make film made animation a lot faster and easier to do because they did not need to repeatedly recreate scenes and backgrounds within the animation (Meyers). As time advances a famous animator named Walt Disney basically brought animation to the next extreme by adding sound to his films. Steamboat Willie was the first animation to have sound followed by Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs as the first full-length film sound animation (Meyers). In today's world, many animations now have digital effects. Computers now inhabit mainly the world of animation for the final results. Walt Disney Production and Pixar Animation Studios created Toy Story, the world's first full-length film using only computerized animation (Meyers). Animation is growing quickly and has now taken many forms. One way of animating is pixilation. This type of animation involved taking successive shots of a story in a series of multiple pictures. A digital camera is used to capture the various shots. One of the great ideas about pixel animation is that you can easily incorporate yourself in a variety of ways as well as trick the viewer into seeing the effects one might find in computer animation. Pixel animation is just one of the ways to create a unique animation.

Bibliography

Cothren, Stokstad, Michael, Marilyn.Art History. 4th. 1. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc, 2011. 1-50. Print.
Myers, Paul. "Computer Drawing and Animation." Wired@School. (1999): n. page. Web. 3 Nov. 2011. .

Disabled Students in the 21st Century (Biweekly report #4)

About the Article

This week's study was particularly my favorite so far. Using the library references I came across an amazingly complex article regarding how to teach developmentally disabled students how to function a multimedia device (specifically an IPod touch). This article performs an experiment on the students to see technological advancements, gives information regarding the significance of teaching multimedia devices to disabled students as well as shows how they went though the entire process. The article explains how age appropriate activities can have a serious impact on a child's social, emotional, cognitive, and physical well -being. Children With disabilities are often left behind and find it harder to grow in life. Integrating technology into classrooms and every day life is huge in today's society. That is why the article feels it is vital for disabled children to understand and at least attempt to comprehend some of it. We are in the age of 21st century learners and disabled students are often forgotten. With time and patience disabled students can increase their digital performance just like any other student. The article then breaks down its findings into numerical order of Introduction, Methods, Results, and ends with a discussion. What I find the most beneficial is how they went about their study. They worked with three students, age of 20, 16, and 15. The article lists the steps in an easy way of how to operate an iPod touch as well as discusses the importance of Video modeling in the profile or the person working the actual device. The step-by-step videos helped tremendously for the disabled students because they could follow the steps exactly as to how there eyes sees it instead of a mirrored performance. With a little bit of on hands help the students were able to steadily increased their performance every time.

Quick Link to the Article

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891422211001582

Step Description
1. Turn on the iPod - press the "home" button
2. Unlock the screen - slide button with the arrow to the right
3. Launch the music application - tap the "music" icon
4. Select the song - find the song you wish to listen to and tap its name
5. Adjust the volume - slide the volume control on the screen
6. Pause song - tap the "pause" symbol on the screen
7. Leave the music application - press the "home" button
8. Turn off the iPod - press the "off" button on top of the iPod

Above is a step by step procedure the article created

0-1.jpeg

Above is a graph of percentage of correctly performed steps from the article

In Relation to My Own Life/Classroom

I feel this is a very beneficial article because often I feel teachers forget about the disabled students because they are smaller in numbers or feel the student's helper can take care of their develoment. This article contributes to the fact that they can succeed if given the right opportunities and patience. The steps used like Video modeling can be a great advantage because it can be replayed multiple times. This article also reminded me of a time when I was in my high school painting class. One of my classmates was mentally disabled. Even though he was slower at times I knew he loved to create art. Furthermore, during my senior year of high school I worked with a young first grader who had cerebral palsy. I would have to help teach him how to eat his food properly without hurting himself. Although he was confined to a wheel chair he was one of the most amazing, imaginative children I had ever met. He was just like every other student in the mind. Being reminded of these two makes me really want to help disabled students in my own Classroom. I've worked with them before and I feel because of today's technology advanced classrooms it's vital for them to try to understand it. Kids like my cerebral palsy student could really become advanced in technology because it doesn't involve a lot of spontaneous movement at times. Who know, he could possibly be a great animator and digital designer one day. We can't automatically assume disabled students can't go far in technology-based education. The art classroom can be a great learning tool for the advancement of knowledge in soft wares such as Adobe Photoshop, Garage band, and Adobe Illustrator. Video Modeling can also be a beneficial in a digital lesson plan. Not only does is it used in a digital way but it attracts students to it. With some extra time and help disabled students aren't at a loss, if anything technology advancement can help further their thought processes instead of hindering it. This article is a great tool to look back on for when I finally have my own classroom and disabled students.

Examples of Video Modeling

">

">

Citation:

Achmadi, Donna, et al. "Teaching students with developmental disabilities to operate an iPod Touch.sup.[R] to listen to music." Research in Developmental Disabilities 32.6 (2011): 2987+. Academic OneFile. Web. 25 Oct. 2011.

Claymation Demo

Materials:
- Artist clay
- Pipe cleaners
- Construction Paper
- Tissue Paper
- Plastic Eyes
- Scissors
- Glue
- Poster board (for setting)
- Camera
- Tri-pod

Step by Step How to:

1. First, decide on a plot, characters, and a setting

2. Create your character(s)
P1010946.jpeg

3.Create your setting using a poster board for your background and paper/art materials for props/background

P1010938.jpeg

4. Set up the camera on tripod (make sure it is positioned correctly)

5. Position character(s) where you want your scene to start

6. Suddenly (slight) change the position of you character
P1010957.JPG

7. Then take a photo

P1010960.JPG

8. Reapeat steps 6 & 7 until satisfied with your story plot

9. Upload photos into Adobe Photoshop

10. Convert Images into frames (you may need to reverse frames)

11. Convert Animation to Quicktime Movie

Tips:
- Create simple characters
- Keep movements simple
- If you are going to move your camera, do it a little at a time
- Avoid moving the set of your design as much as possible
- Be careful of your hands getting in your frames!
- The less obvious your individual movements are the better flow your video will have
- Have fun!

Examples of Clay Animation

">

Demo Clay Animation
">

Works Cited:
"How to Create Clay Animation in 5 Easy Steps." Preparing Tomorrow's Teachers in use Technology. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct 2011. .

Mjr Claymation. Dir. Rachela7x. Youtube, 2011. Web. 11 Oct 2011.

Murphy, Mary. Beginner's Guide to Animation. New York: Watson-Guptill Publication, 2008. 35-42. Print.

Penguine Plasticince Animation-Fishing Fiasco . Dir. Cheesemonger4000. Youtube, 2011. Web. 11 Oct 2011.

Witherspoon, Tonya. "Clay Animation Made Easy." Wichita Edu, 05/30/2006. Web. 11 Oct 2011. .

Blog Entry 3: Staying Ethical in Today's Schools

With this blog post I found my next journal article on the Library's home database. This journal article titled: Ethical Behavior in the Information Age by Margaret Lincoln takes a huge dive into the how schools are becoming more and more ethical in regards to digital technology in their every day schools. The article mainly discusses how librarians and teachers at school come up with certain ways to teach about ethical behavior in today's global world of information. I've recently read many articles pertaining to how school SHOULD educate rather than actually doing it. This article in particular was enjoyable to read because Margaret talked about how she gave various teachings on how they taught their students to be more ethical with people and technology. Schools are all in the process on changing and evolving. Margaret Lincoln, the author of the article is an actually library media specialist. She addresses the issue of cheating both with computers and in real life. She gives the student pamphlets (a four page document) that are worded easily for the students and without all of the educational jargon. The pamphlet is always available online or on hand. Students also participate in online blogs but. Margaret always has students conduct policy agreement notes and makes sure that the comments are respectable before official posting. Students also create copyright poster guidelines where their designs get put up onto the library website as well as on display outside the school library windows. The students enjoy seeing their work and learn in the process. She also has library assistants take a course titled, "Introduction to Information Literacy." She uses a wide range of ways to get students thinking about being ethical and literate in today's digital world.

6a00e5521774378833011570c25c33970b-800wi.jpeg

(Lincoln uses this image in her article, reflecting the idea of the 21st century learner)

This article really got me to consider more than just teaching art, which is what I hope to pursue in the future. I can't have children simply create art and do nothing with it. Children should be able to share their creations digitally too. In order to do this they need to understand the policies and ethical ideas behind using the Internet. Furthermore, plagiarism can be used it art too, not just books or writing. Children need to understand the terms of copyright as well as respecting other art forms. Librarians and art teachers can work together in terms of plagiarism, copyrighting, and creating a diverse perspective. They aren't two separate worlds and there can always be a way of connecting various practices in education. This article really helped highlight that idea.

Citation:
Lincoln, Margaret. "Ethical behavior in the information age." Knowledge Quest 37.5 (2009): 34+. Academic OneFile. Web. 11 Oct. 2011.

Digital Literacy=New Language Biweekly Report #2

With the vast articles online I came across one in particular that really made me better comprehend the new meaning of digital literacy. The article I found was entitled Connecting the Digital Dots: Literacy of the 21st Century by Barbara R. Jones-Kavalier and Suzanne L. Flannigan. To sum up the article's view it first goes into depth of how being "literate" is vastly different from it's old roots of reading books. It also explains how no matter what time period people were in it was incredibly important to build communication method. By doing that it was vital to use the best technology they had to offer in order to makes things far more efficient. The article goes on further to explain that Digital and visual literacy is the new form of building the powerful force of communication in our world. Children just becoming the extremely Digital literate and they learn technology at such a young age and at such a fast pace, so fast they understand it without even realizing it. The article then explains how Digital technology is just like creating a second language. Many older adults fear it or feel it is too difficult, irrelevant and even too alien to the simple human. I had never looked at technology in such a way before. It has always been infused within my own life as well as my own artwork. I've grown up using it so using myself as an example I am like many of those children who never realize how it falls into there life to continuously. I think to interesting that the article explains digital technology as a new language. The more I think about it I can understand where they are coming from. There is so much to learn in the digital world and it's not something someone can just master in one day. It takes years and years of time and even the best digitally savvy people still have not "mastered" digital technology completely. That is why it is constantly changing at such a fast rate. The article then goes on further to explain the reason towards an ungoing education problem within our society. It is the lack of digital technology and constant form of traditional style lesson plans used that no longer pertains to todays 21st century learning. New age children are learning in different ways it is no longer useful to have kids simple copy notes on a board. One of the common problems the article claims is that even if a school is granted with technology advanced there is a failure to give the right training to the school faculty that may need it. Another important note they added was for the students and faculty to get past the glitz and the "glam" that technology made show. Its about the learning process and what the student are able to understand. The biggest challenge is also dealing with the complexity that technology brings. I feel as a future art teacher it is very important to remember the ideas that this article talks about. I can be one of the teachers to help change the education system for the better. I have to remember not to fall into my old traditional routine of when I was younger. The way I learned is irrelevant with todays 21st century learners. I can find a way to help other teachers in my future school as well, maybe starting out with the right kind of workshops and meeting that relate to digital technology and the students. It ends with the article saying how its better to have digital skills than be left out, unable to understand. The article made some very key points and I couldn't agree more with everything it said. Here is the link if you wish to read it yourself.
http://www.educause.edu/EDUCAUSE+Quarterly/EDUCAUSEQuarterlyMagazineVolum/ConnectingtheDigitalDotsLitera/157395

Citiation
Jones-Kavalier, Flannigan, Barbara R, Suzanne. "Digital Dots: Literacy of the 21st Century." Educause. n. page. Web. 28 Sep. 2011

Recent Comments

• george.pharell@yahoo.com: Media is one of the most influential channels of impact read more
  • Betsy Hunt: This looks like a good article to keep around as read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Rachel you seem to really be invested in this topic read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Great blog entry Rachel! I am happy to see that read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Interesting topic Rachel. Yes with digital technology copyright is a read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Some good points Rachel. Yes I hope you do remember read more
  • Betsy Hunt: A great lesson plan to find. You should keep this read more

Recent Assets

• ComicPage2.jpg
  • ComicPage1.jpg
  • ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-80-1.jpeg
  • ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-74-1.jpeg
  • ZI-0379-2011-SEP00-IDSI-73-1.jpeg
  • hard-round-brush.png
  • color_range.jpeg
  • example7.jpeg
  • Steven.jpeg
  • example3-portrait.jpeg