Blog Entry 3: Staying Ethical in Today's Schools

With this blog post I found my next journal article on the Library's home database. This journal article titled: Ethical Behavior in the Information Age by Margaret Lincoln takes a huge dive into the how schools are becoming more and more ethical in regards to digital technology in their every day schools. The article mainly discusses how librarians and teachers at school come up with certain ways to teach about ethical behavior in today's global world of information. I've recently read many articles pertaining to how school SHOULD educate rather than actually doing it. This article in particular was enjoyable to read because Margaret talked about how she gave various teachings on how they taught their students to be more ethical with people and technology. Schools are all in the process on changing and evolving. Margaret Lincoln, the author of the article is an actually library media specialist. She addresses the issue of cheating both with computers and in real life. She gives the student pamphlets (a four page document) that are worded easily for the students and without all of the educational jargon. The pamphlet is always available online or on hand. Students also participate in online blogs but. Margaret always has students conduct policy agreement notes and makes sure that the comments are respectable before official posting. Students also create copyright poster guidelines where their designs get put up onto the library website as well as on display outside the school library windows. The students enjoy seeing their work and learn in the process. She also has library assistants take a course titled, "Introduction to Information Literacy." She uses a wide range of ways to get students thinking about being ethical and literate in today's digital world.

6a00e5521774378833011570c25c33970b-800wi.jpeg

(Lincoln uses this image in her article, reflecting the idea of the 21st century learner)

This article really got me to consider more than just teaching art, which is what I hope to pursue in the future. I can't have children simply create art and do nothing with it. Children should be able to share their creations digitally too. In order to do this they need to understand the policies and ethical ideas behind using the Internet. Furthermore, plagiarism can be used it art too, not just books or writing. Children need to understand the terms of copyright as well as respecting other art forms. Librarians and art teachers can work together in terms of plagiarism, copyrighting, and creating a diverse perspective. They aren't two separate worlds and there can always be a way of connecting various practices in education. This article really helped highlight that idea.

Citation:
Lincoln, Margaret. "Ethical behavior in the information age." Knowledge Quest 37.5 (2009): 34+. Academic OneFile. Web. 11 Oct. 2011.

Interesting topic Rachel. Yes with digital technology copyright is a big topic, even with art education. Like we talked about at the beginning of the semester many things are a remix in our contemporary culture. It would be great to have a section in your art class about that. You can show students how to make interesting remixes that are copyright free. Keep that article I gave you at the beginning of the semester on how to find copyright free images.

I am not sure what the graph is of.. Maybe you could explain that a little bit more.