Call for Entries - Essay Competition from the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
(For entry form, contact the Career Center at the University of Miami School of Law at email@example.com)
In keeping with its goal to promote diversity within the criminal defense bar, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers invites law students from accredited law schools in the United States to submit essays for a chance to be published in The Champion magazine.
Topic: DECLINING MINORITY ENROLLMENT IN LAW SCHOOL AND THE CHALLENGE OF BAR AND BENCH DIVERSITY
It has been reported that from 1993 to 2008, the entering enrollment in law schools dropped by 7.5 percent for African-Americans and 11.7 percent for Mexican Americans (see AmLaw Daily article from January 2010, Study: Minority Law Student Numbers Dip as Law School Capacity Rises). With the numbers of historically underrepresented minorities seeking a law degree either stagnant or dropping in recent years, what steps would you recommend for increasing diversity in the profession and, in particular, on the bench? And why?
Eligibility:The contest is open to all current law students who are in good academic standing at accredited law schools in the United States.
1. There will be one first prize winner, one second prize winner, and one honorable mention.
2. The first prize winner will have his or her winning essay published in a forthcoming edition of NACDL's magazine, The Champion; receive a $200 cash prize; receive a free one-year student membership; and receive a certificate of recognition.
3. The second prize winner will have his or her essay published in NACDL's magazine, The Champion; receive a $100 cash prize; receive a free one-year student membership; and receive a certificate of recognition.
4. The entrant who receives an honorable mention will have his or her essay published in NACDL's magazine, The Champion; and will receive a certificate of recognition.
Deadline: Entries must be received by 5 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) on December 31, 2010. Please email entries to Terrica Redfield at firstname.lastname@example.org; attention: NACDL Essay Contest.
Award Date: Winning entrants will be notified on February 1, 2011.
1. Each entry must address the following topic: Declining Minority Enrollment in Law School and the Challenge of Bench and Bar Diversity.
2. Joint entries are not permitted and are void.
3. Multiple entries by a law student are not permitted and are void.
4. Entries must be the law student's original work created for this competition. Entries previously published elsewhere will not be accepted and are void.
5. The essay must be submitted by e-mail only. No entry will be accepted if submitted by any other means. Entries must be e-mailed to Terrica Redfield, NACDL Essay Contest.
6. The essay entries must be no less than 600 words and no more than 1200 words in length. An entry form must accompany each entrant's essay.
7. Entries will be judged on their originality, creativity, and overall quality.
8. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) on December 31, 2010.
9. The winning entries will be published in a forthcoming edition of NACDL's The Champion magazine.
10. By submitting an entry to the contest, each entrant gives NACDL all rights, including copyright, to the entry and express permission to edit and publish the entry in all media without limitation and without any other notice.
11. NACDL, as sponsor of the competition, will be the final arbiter of all questions regarding entries, judging, interpretation of the rules, and any other aspect of this contest. In the event that there is an insufficient number of qualified entries or if the judges determine in their absolute discretion that no or too few entries meet the quality standards established to award the prizes, NACDL reserves the right not to award the prizes. NACDL will not be responsible for typographical printing or other inadvertent errors in these rules or in other materials relating to the competition. NACDL will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind.
Additional Terms and Conditions
1. All federal, state, local, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.
2. By entering, entrants acknowledge compliance with these rules, including all eligibility requirements.
3. Except where prohibited, participation in the competition constitutes an entrant's consent to the publication of his or her name and image in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation.
4. Winners agree that the NACDL and its employees and agents shall not be liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from participating in this competition or from any acceptance or use of any prize awarded.
5. The prize is non-transferable.
For More Information
Questions? Contact Terrica Redfield at 404-688-1202 or via email at email@example.com.