« Etiquette Dinner | Main | Questions »

Politics

As I have said before, I worked for Senate Majority Leader Thomas Daschle following my freshman year at college. The experience was amazing and led me to high hopes in politics and political science.

Unfortunately, he lost the next election by 10,000 votes in South Dakota. The first time a senate leader had been upset in over 50 years. He gave South Dakota a tremendous advantage in financing and helping set the political agenda.

There could have been a number of reasons that he lost. The state is highly republican but all their legislators were democrats before Daschle's lost. Any insight into why you think he lost? What is the national trend for politics? Is the next president going to be Democrat or Republican?

All feedback and input is welcome, I am myself a registered Democrat. I also did a study on his loss last semester as well.

If you have thoughts on any politics please post and reply. If you disagree with statements post as well. Hopefully this will create some interesting discussion on our blog.

Mike

Posted by trax0023 at October 4, 2005 9:27 PM | Personal Experiences

I think that the next president will be democrat. It seems like one party doesn't hold office for too long and I think that the country is ready for a refreshing change.

Posted by: Jenna Mohs at October 5, 2005 8:47 PM

But the Republicans seem to have a very strong hold in each state. Even though they might win a popular vote they still might not win the electorate, like the 2000 election. Who do you think would make a good candidate for president?

Posted by: Mike Traxinger at October 5, 2005 11:10 PM

Excellent topic for discussion! I worked Tom Daschle's re-election campaign for about the last month leading up to Election Day. Many voters in SD are indeed Republican. They saw John Thune (who ran against and unseated Tom Daschle) as "a regular guy". Also, the national Republican Party invested millions of dollars into running negative ads against Senator Daschle. So many issues played into why Senator Daschle lost his campaign. Now in SD there is a very "funny" situation. Daschle and Thune backers are still running a sort of campaign for each person. I have heard this scenario called a "permanent campaign" and other names. (People are doing this by writing letters to the editor of major newspapers in SD on behalf of their “favorite senator”, and by participating in other events.) Many people who voted for John Thune still have his campaign bumper sticker on their cars. I for one, still have my Tom Daschle bumper sticker on my car at home. People still talk about the election as if the two campaigns are still going.

I would highly recommend working on a political campaign to anyone (if that sort of thing interests you). It is an amazing experience (even if your candidate looses)!

Posted by: Mark Lewandowski at October 6, 2005 9:23 AM

On the topic of potential presidential candidates - NY Senator Hilary Clinton's name has been floating around for awhile, though senators haven't fared so well of late in the presidential candidate arena. A President hasn't been elected from the Senate since Kennedy, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here). One name that's been generating some buzz is Democrat Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico. It will be interesting as well to follow the career of Barak Obama, newly elected (in 04) Democratic Senator from Illinois.

Posted by: Stephanie at October 6, 2005 2:26 PM

As to whether or not a dem will win in 08, I doubt it...I think 2000 was an election of realignment. Also, I think the dems will be doomed if Hillary gets through the primaries becuase she could never win the general election. I think a dem who could appeal to the right would be Reid from Nevada. He's socially conservative about a lot of things, including abortion. The thing about Kennedy is right, too- no senators since him.

Posted by: Meggan McCann at October 7, 2005 7:32 PM