« September 2005 | Main | November 2005 »

Week 9

No Journal Entries Due Week 9

1 - Make sure you are taking care of your faculty interview assignment!

2 - Study hard for your test next week!

3 - If you get a chance, stop by the Gov/Internship Fair on Monday to check out different organizations. Also, I will guarantee you a reward of some sorts if you make it there.

Posted by trax0023 at 10:30 AM

Week 8

Hey Everyone,

Important things for next week....

1 - You have a journal due by Tuesday at Noon

Questions to answer:
At what points during the semester have you experienced stress?
What do you do when you are feeling stress?
Do you feel you manage your stress in an effective way?
Discuss your skills as a test-taker.
What types of tests do you do well on?
What types of tests are you most concerned about?

2 - You must schedule an interview with your faculty member and send us an email with the information of a time and place for your interview.

3 - Class next week is in the Bell Museum (BRING YOUR U CARD)

Note** with any email/attached document, always place your name, first and last someplace in the data. I cannot recognize who you are if you send me an email and don't put a signature on the bottom, the same is for a word document that is attached. These are all habits that you will need for your college and professional lives. So always make sure the person who is reading your email or assignments knows that it is yours.

If you have any questions about the assignments or if you are confused in any way, please email Stephanie or myself before class. Your assignments should always be done before class. If you are having any problems you should consult with us before you come to class as well. I understand that this is not that intense of a course, if you will, but other teachers and professors are not as lenient as we are and part of our objective is to help you adapt to college life. So utilize your resources, resources as in us if you need anything.

Thanks, have a great weekend, hope to see you all at the MOA on Saturday.

Mike Traxinger

Posted by trax0023 at 3:01 PM

Bill Clinton!!!

Who wants to see Bill CLINTON!!!

I do and you should too, being Democrat, Republican, or Independent.

In order to do this you need to go get a ticket on Tues, Oct the 18th as early as possible in the Coffman Bookstore, you can get two per person and I recommend getting both.

The event is on November the 5th at 5PM in Northrop Auditorium. It is FREE!!!!
Even if you can't go if you would be willing to pick up some tickets and give them to me or your other classmates, that would be awesome. This is a great event, not to mention you get to see a former president speak on our campus. Which doesn't happen often.

(I saw Bill Clinton when I was in DC two summers ago walking into Barnes and Noble) and (I have shaken George Bush's Hand) times to remember!!! This should be one.

I'll mention it again in class next week, but be thinking about it.

Mike

Posted by trax0023 at 3:12 PM

Week 7

Hey Everyone,

Things you need to do before class on Wednesday!!!

1 - By Tuesday October 18th you should have completed the first two years of your 4-year plan online. Stephanie will be checking this online, so make sure you get them done. If you have any questions email her or myself over the weekend and we can help you out.

2 - Also by Tuesday you should have completed another Journal Entry

Answer these two questions
- What resources / tools did you find most helpful
- What steps will you take in the future as your major and career interests change and develop to ensure that you graduate in 4 years?

Please put your NAME on the attached document

Class is in Blegen again for next week!

See you then.

Mike

Posted by trax0023 at 3:04 PM

Guidelines for Writing Journal Entries

This handout offers guidelines for writing quality journal responses. The guidelines are applicable for this class as well as other classes you may have now or in the future that require reflective writing. This is an Adobe file.

Writing Quality Journal Entries

©Jen Rude 2005

Posted by lawre035 at 3:01 PM

Week 6

How many NCAA championships have the Minnesota Gophers won in?

Men's Hockey
Women's Hockey
Women's Volleyball

How many times have we been Big Ten Champions in?

Football

Finally list all the Teams in the Big Ten Conference.

Good Luck, you should be able to find all this information, if you are unsuccessful post on the blog and I can offer some hints!

PRIZE: A free Bowl at Noodle's and Company

Posted by trax0023 at 3:45 PM

Week 6

Hey Everyone,

Important stuff to do before class on Wednesday!!

1 - Everyone's 4 Year Planning Assignment Part 1 - is due by TUESDAY at NOON
Note the total credits you have completed (see assignment for details)
Choose one of the scenarios

2 - Faculty Interview Assignment Part 1 - Due by Class on WEDNESDAY
Identify a faculty member
Focus of the interview
3 questions you will ask that are not included on this assignment sheet

3 - Bring a copy of your APAS report to class on Wednesday!
You can print this off online at https://onestop2.umn.edu/darwin/login.jsp

Looking ahead, for WEEK 7 you have 2 assignments due

1 - Journal

2 - Graduation Planning Phase II
Details are in your assignment - If you have questions email Stephanie or myself

Posted by trax0023 at 3:36 PM

Co-curricular Experiences (study abroad, internships, etc)

When is the best time to study abroad or take part in an internship (or participate in other kinds of co-curricular opportunities)?

The short answer is...it depends. It might be any time between now and when you graduate. Certainly the freshman year isn't too early to begin thinking about these things and investigating opportunities; the senior year may not be too late.

Some things to consider are whether there are certain courses that you need to take on campus and, if so, whether these need to be taken in sequence or at certain times. For study abroad, one factor may be whether you need a certain level of language proficiency or not for a particular program, whether you want to study in English or the language of the host country (both options, as well as a combination of both, are possible), or whether you want to continue language study in-country.

It's a good idea to start discussing these options early on with your college adviser so that together you can work to identify the right kind of experience and the right timing for you. You should all be scheduling your fall checkback appointment with your college adviser during the month of October. This is a good opportunity to initiate this discussion.

The Learning Abroad Center (the U of M's office for study abroad and other international experience) offers hundreds of programs.

The Career and Community Learning Center is a good place to begin investigating internships. Some departments, such as Political Science, also offer internship opportunities.

Other types of off-campus study opportunities include National Student Exchange (which gives students the opportunity to study at other institutions in the US) and
HECUA, which involves experience-based learning focusing on social issues.

For students interested in engaging in academic research with faculty, the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) may be something to look into.

Community involvement and service-learning also offer students oppportunities to be engaged in meaningful work outside of the classroom, and participating in U of M student groups can provide leadership opportunities. Some of you may be interested in looking into the Parliamentary Debate Society.

Posted by lawre035 at 3:45 PM

Questions

Just a few questions about the appropriate timing for different experiences:

When should a student do an internship?

What year should a student study abroad?

What other opportunities are there for students to gain perspective and experience for careers?

Posted by mohsx021 at 8:56 PM

Politics

As I have said before, I worked for Senate Majority Leader Thomas Daschle following my freshman year at college. The experience was amazing and led me to high hopes in politics and political science.

Unfortunately, he lost the next election by 10,000 votes in South Dakota. The first time a senate leader had been upset in over 50 years. He gave South Dakota a tremendous advantage in financing and helping set the political agenda.

There could have been a number of reasons that he lost. The state is highly republican but all their legislators were democrats before Daschle's lost. Any insight into why you think he lost? What is the national trend for politics? Is the next president going to be Democrat or Republican?

All feedback and input is welcome, I am myself a registered Democrat. I also did a study on his loss last semester as well.

If you have thoughts on any politics please post and reply. If you disagree with statements post as well. Hopefully this will create some interesting discussion on our blog.

Mike

Posted by trax0023 at 9:27 PM

Etiquette Dinner

Hey everyone,

For those who are or were interested. The date is Tuesday, October 18, 2005; 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM; McNamara Alumni Center. The cost is $14 dollars. Unfortunetly, we are not planning on supplementing that cost like they have done in the past. I apologize for giving that incentive as before. If you have any other questions let me know via email or on here.

To register go to this link

http://www.career.umn.edu/etiquette.htm

Posted by trax0023 at 9:10 PM