« Teen Charged With Robbing And Beating An Old Man: Senseless | Main | Environmentalists Say Their Hour Was A Success »

Murder leads to Car Chase, Hostage Standoff and Suicide on I-94

A 42-year-old Big Lake man shot and killed his girlfriend's son then raced down Interstate 94 with a hostage and killed himself after a standoff with authorities early Saturday morning, reported WCCO.

Peter Tek, 42, made a final phone call to his son before he put an end to the pursuit himself.

"I said, 'Dad are you serious?' He starts crying and then I start crying," Phath Bauer, Tek's 18 year-old son told WCCO. "I said, 'Dad, what are you going to do?' He said, 'I'm going to kill myself.' And I was like, 'Dad, no!'"

According to the Sherburne County Sheriff's Department Tek had shot and killed Savang Sath earlier that morning and then fled holding his girlfriend hostage, reported WCCO.

Deputies chased Tek westbound on Interstate 94 until stop sticks were used to stop the car, St. Cloud police negotiated with him for two hours, according to WCCO.

Authorities closed down a 2-mile strip on the freeway for about two hours while traffic was detoured, reported the Star Tribune.

The acts that took place Saturday morning left the families in shock; they believed something very serious had to have happened to push him over the edge, according to WCCO.

Tek had recently lost his job of 20 years but the families still had no idea he would be pushed this far, reported WCCO.