Part III

In the chapter, the six stages give us a deep look what the racial problems with the dominant white group. I agree from the white perspective, the complexity with being white and many of them get stuck in reintegration thinking. However, I could not agree with the other points that the author. I don't think there are standard answers for all the assumptions that she constructs. It tends to be personal understandings and observations of hers. That is why I don't find it interesting to read this section and I never understand what she called the " White Context."
Compared with the chapter, I found the article " White Privilege and Male Privilege" is much more interesting. Peggy takes a position of being a white person, and makes comparisons with those who are colored. He lists 46 conditions that he draws the conclusion of "white privilege." It is apparently subjective and personal, but it looks more persuasive to me. Also, he draws empathy to those who are not white and recognizes the racial phenomenons what they confront in a daily base.

Weekly Question

After reading the article and the chapters in the textbook, which one do you find more persuasive and objective? Which part do you most agree and which part you don't? If you were white, do you feel there are internal struggles that you have to deal with?

Part II: Understanding Blackness in a White Context

" She creacked open a brown egg and emptied its contents into a bowl. Then I cracked open a white egg. " See, they are different on the outside, but the same on the inside. People are the same way. They look different on the outside, but they are the same on the inside. " The example that she made shows how caring and considerate to her son. It touches my heart the way she illustrates the issue of race to her three-year-old son. At the same time, it makes me rethink of how myself view and treat those people who are ethnically different. It also reminds me we are not different from each other.

" Preschool children are quite literal in their use of langeuage and concrete in their thinking. They talk about physical differences and other commonly observed cultural differences such as language and style of dress because they are tangible and easy to recognize. " The behavior not only reveals on pre-school children, a lot of adults do the same thing. The author studies the psychological issue with race helps us to have a better understandings the discrimination and social problems that the African Americans have to confront. Which provides us a full dimension how a statement or two could make a big different in people's lives.