Main | Interview with June Nobbe - Women in Leadership »

Emotional Intelligence - An Interview with Carole Broad

Carole Anne Broad believes that learning what it means to have Emotional Intelligence (EQ… vs. IQ) is crucial to being a truly successful and happy human being. She says, “I see my students struggle in this area and of course, I have struggled personally as we all do. I have learned much through life experience and study and am excited to share this to help students learn early in life what is so crucial throughout ones’ entire life.?

I did a brief interview with Carole Anne to learn more about this workshop.

Alex Fink: Why should a leader know about Emotional Intelligence?
Carole Anne Broad: To be the best leader, one needs to know who you are leading and be able to relate to them in their wholeness- intellectually and emotionally. A leader may be highly involved in conflicts, problem-solving, mentoring, praising, setting an example, etc. In all these interactions with any organization, group or individual Emotional Intelligence helps one recognize and understand the complexity of what is going on. Therefore one can respond in a thoughtful and respectful manner rather than react in anger, hostility, fear or other negative emotions. In a nutshell, developing Emotional Intelligence makes one more successful in relationships of all kinds.

Alex Fink: What career path does this apply to?
Carole Anne Broad: Everyone can benefit from developing Emotional Intelligence to be able to live life to its fullest potential. Certain career paths demand more expertise in EQ than others such as social work, counseling, and health care professions or anyone in a leadership role. But any job that involves working with people—and what job doesn’t—can be more satisfying and less stressful by learning EQ.

Alex Fink: And where did you start learning about Emotional Intelligence?
Carole Anne Broad: I’m a human being so I’ve been learning about emotions since childhood. And EQ, well that’s a best-selling book, Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman (1995) that I highly recommend. It was my graduate degree in social work that began my study of emotions. Then personal experience tested and retested my own emotional responses. I gained incredible personal insights into human (including my own!) emotions and behavior. Later I discovered On Course by Skip Downing, a college success curriculum that emphasizes EQ and other principles. I’ve been studying and presenting On Course principles for several years now.