Living a LearningLife

« From LearningLife director Andy Gilats: My Personal LearningLife: Healthy Aging | Main | when I'm 64...my brain will bloom »

I heard it through the grapevine...February 2009

“...suddenly India, with more than a billion people, seemed small and closely knit, and I was stunned at how close terrorism had come to people I knew.�

Catherine Watson’s mind-expanding monthly blog, the open road, reflects on how travel changes one’s outlook on life and global events. Read more from the award-winning author at the LearningLife Web site.

Talk about an inspiring global perspective...J.L. David Smith, a University professor in the Department of Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, thinks globally, and teaches his students to do so as well. For over 25 years, he has studied tigers in south and southeast Asia. Here at the U, he has established the Collaborative Lab for Asian Wildlife Studies (CLAWS), has led field classes of University undergraduates in Thailand, and has worked with a U graduate student to train former poachers to be forest rangers.

How does this relate to Minnesota? “Maintaining biodiversity is a regional, national, and international issue,� Smith explained in an interview with Legacy magazine. “Minnesotans understand that being global citizens means caring about global ecosystems.�