Summer is almost over here in Minnesota. The weather is hot, school will be in session again soon, and leisure activities beckon. There is a sense of urgency about getting outdoors and enjoying ourselves - hopping on our bikes, enjoying a day at a lake or pool, playing a round of golf, or just hanging out in our backyards barbecuing in the company of friends and neighbors. Before we know it we'll be back in the icy grip of winter.
With this in mind, don't let the rest of August slip by without having some good old-fashioned fun in the sun. Here are some ideas to end your summer on a high note:
• Go for a walk, ride a bike, go for a swim, frolic in the sprinkler, play sports just for the pleasure of playing.
• Picnic, fire up the grill, have coffee or drinks on the patio.
• Have an ice cream treat.
• Eat and savor seasonal fruits and vegetables.
• Work in or visit a garden, delight in the colors and the smells when they are at their zenith.
• Attend an outdoor concert, county fair, festival.
• Read a good book, catch up on magazines.
• Take time off and travel somewhere or simply relax at home.
• Make the most of the longer days and find time to visit with family and friends.
Don't put off what's enjoyable as though it weren't important. Often the belief that we can "always do it later" stops us from doing it at all. The high temperatures won't last but the happy memories of time well spent will live on and warm us in the cold months to come.
Self-Discovery Tool Number 14
What have you been longing to do but never managed to fit in over the summer? Have you been fooling yourself that you'll get to it eventually? Commit to doing a warm weather activity that makes you smile before September arrives. Make the remaining summer days richer and more fulfilling by finding simple ways to celebrate the best of the season!