The Importance of Info Lit

New Yorker.jpg

As usual I'm about 2 months behind on my New Yorker reading but over the long weekend I saw this book review by Elizabeth Kolbert from the November 2 issue:

"The Things People Say"

In the article Kolbert reviews the book "On Rumors: How Falsehoods Spread, Why We Believe Them, What Can Be Done" by Cass R. Sunstein.

Throughout reading the review, I thought to myself, "This is exactly why info lit is so important!"

Sometimes it feels like the skills we teach are only of import in the bubble of academe...finding real world examples of places where good information literacy skills could make a difference gives me a better perspective on the role these skills have in forming well-rounded university graduates.

Articles like this always re-invigorate my interest in finding ways to make these skills engaging to our users and my enthusiasm in my role as an advocate for their integration into the larger curriculum.

Great idea--maybe one of the chapters could be used in the Current Issues Coffee club. Seems like I might have been first in line to check it out--it is now on the way to Walter for me...

I read his republic.com book in library school--should probably re-read 5+ years later.