New Alexandria

alexandria.jpgToward a New Alexandria:Imagining the future of libraries.
The New Republic
Lisbet Rausing

Here a few quotes that jumped out at me from this article. I wish there was a bit more about the use/teaching in addition to the ideas on the collection itself.

"To do research, only one in a hundred American college students turn first to their university catalogue. Over 80 percent turn first to Google."

"Scholars have traditionally gated and protected knowledge, yet also shared and distributed it in libraries, schools, and universities. We have stood for a republic of learning that is wider than the ivory tower, and now is the time to do so again. We must stand up, as the Swedes say, for folkbildningsidealet, that profoundly democratic vision of universal learning and education."

"We must first understand that the nature of the library is changing."

"The obstacles to a true and electronic Reformation are real, but perhaps also caused by the continuation of "business as usual," perhaps ultimately founded in the mental difficult that older folk have imaginatively re-drawing work practices, as well as organizational and legal "silos." Remember Henry Ford's comment: "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have asked for a better horse carriage."