Play at being a scholars...

"Genuine inquiry is fundamentally and inescapably playful. Real research--not the pallid reading.jpgimitation of research, the soulless but correct transcription of properly-documented sources that so many college assignments require--is about discovery, exploration, and persisting in the pursuit of an answer that, once finally found, blossoms like a magician's wand--hey presto!--into a bouquet of new questions.

We need to help students rediscover their own creativity as they play at being scholars. And when I say "play," I don't mean that we should encourage them to mimic their professors and use lots of big words they don't understand, though they may well think that's what's expected. No, we need to help them understand that research is all about the interplay of ideas, the freedom of movement among disciplines and spheres of discourse, the courage to ask a question without first knowing whether it has an answer."

from "Why we should take fun more seriously" by Barbara Fister, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN -- Library Journal, 4/22/2010
Read more: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6726981.html

Archives are some of my favorite playgrounds! You have to ask questions to move forward through the material. Plus you learn that "I don't know" or "it depends" are perfectly fine answers, (as long as you have a follow up question).