Student Engagement One Click At A Time

clickers.jpg
Image from esagor via Flickr.  CC.

I recently had the pleasure of sitting in on an engaging workshop given by our Copyright Librarian, Nancy Sims, to a room full of instructors from the University of Minnesota Institute of Technology as part of our Library Faculty Seminar.  Nancy used the Turning Point clickers to have the audience interact with her throughout her presentation.  At the end of the day many participants noted that activity as a highlight for the event.

Jan Fransen, Lisa Johnston and I have been using clickers to let attendees decide the course we take to covering the content in our Google for Researchers class.  We list the possible topics on PowerPoint slides and poll the users to see what they're most interested in.

After seeing the way that Nancy used clickers I thought I'd search our Info Lit Toolkit to see if others are using the clickers to make their sessions more interactive.  When I searched for "clickers" the only things that came back were my own Google for Researchers slides.

So I'm curious to know -- are others using clickers?  If so how are you using them--assessment? interactivity?    If you're not using clickers what are the stumbling blocks?  Do instruction librarians feel supported enough with this technology?

I'd love to get more ideas. If you do have example clicker slides why not put them in the Info Lit Toolkit and tag them "clickers"?  Your use may inspire someone else!

I must admit I have used clickers at other jobs when they first came out but haven't made them part of my standard teaching toolkit--but why? Two things I can think of it a bit of laziness and frustration over "checking" them out (poor excuse). Also insecurity over coming up with "good" questions--questions that engage the audience, questions that help me get a sense of what students are learning (or having trouble with). I would love to brainstorm good clicker questions. In addition to the toolkit would it be useful to have a wiki page on this? What else? Should the Info Lit Collaborative take this one or the instruction coordinators? Or an informal group?

I like the idea of setting up a group to develop a wiki page (or maybe a page on this blog?)...we could take interested parties from both groups and develop an ad-hoc group for a short period of wiki development. I'd definitely be interested in working on it.

If we could seed the page (and the toolkit) with some good examples and best practices it might be a good starting point for librarians.