Test student ability to find reliable information online...

I was taken by this post from a professor from Butler University on "A New Kind of Final"

"As I have been reflecting more and more on how technology is changing not only how we teach, but also what we need to teach students, and train students to be able to do, I have found myself considering phasing out exams of the traditional sort, in which I essentially test what they have been able to remember. Information is available with a few clicks of their thumbs, and so it seems better to instead test students' ability to find reliable information online, rather than test their ability to remember it"

"And so I may in the near future give a final exam in which students have access to whatever electronic devices they wish, and are given a limited time in which to locate reliable information and use it to answer a question - with appropriate credit being given to sources and without any plagiarism, of course."

Certainly shifts the skills students would need to focus on in the semester.....