A Pecha Kucha Lesson: How The Library Is Like A Forest

forest.jpgYesterday I presented with Kate Peterson at the OIT 20 by 20 Pecha Kucha Event.  We talked about all the collaboration tools that the libraries provide and the ways that librarians can collaborate with instructors and researchers...but that's not really the point of this post.

Instead I wanted to talk about a presentation that was surprisingly relevant to libraries that was given by Eli Sangor who is part of Forestry Extension in St. Paul.

Eli talked about how Extension tries to get information and good resources to owners of forest land throughout Minnesota...as he presented I thought to myself..."This sounds just like librarians."

He told that much of their audience likes to get information from peers and that they facilitate this by bringing in local experts to provide information sessions.  This got me to thinking how we might bring this Extension model into library instruction.  

Here's my idea: I have a huge freshman seminar (100-200 beginning engineers) that I give a short 15-20 minute presentation on how to find articles to, that I meet with every semester.  Next semester I want to look into partnering with a Peer Research Consultant to co-present with me to make that peer connection that Eli discussed in his pecha kucha.

Once the recording of yesterday's Pecha Kucha goes up we should link to it here...this is just one idea that popped into my mind while watching all the presentations.

Did others attend?  Any other exciting take-aways?

Image from Lutz-R. Frank via Flickr.  CC.