Could Information Literacy have prevented Bart Simpsons birthday?

Last month the Twitterverse declared February 23rd to be Bart Simpson's birthday. Being a lifelong Simpsons fan I thought it was odd that I had never celebrated my yellow friends entry into the world before. The website SplitSider tracked down this erroneous birthday in a very interesting post on their site. (http://splitsider.com/2011/02/the-day-twitter-gave-birth-to-bart-simpson/). I will leave the details to their original post but effectively what happened was a global game of telephone. Ultimately the Chicago Tribune, Nexflix, Rolling Stone, and Columbia College Chicago added an air of credibility to this idea. 

I was reading the article for the upcoming Current Issues Coffee Club - March, 23rd - and wondered if a society grounded in information literacy would spontaneously grant birthday's to our fictional friends?

Seems like this would be a good way to start an instruction session--a real life and engaging example with a touch of humor and no easy answers...