Coffee Club discussion: from the theoretical to the practical

I think that the language of the article "Information Literacy as a Human Right" is very useful for making arguments about the broader importance for information literacy, even if the teaching outcomes for most of our instruction sessions actually only address limited aspects of them.  

In an hour long session, it is important to be very practical and succinct with our teaching objectives - but I think talking about some of these broader ideas in introductions, transitions and discussions with students can help make these connections in small ways.  

For me, the best takeaways from articles like these are ideas and words that I can use to help explain the "whys" of information literacy.  Even in a short instruction session it is important to address the reasons for the learning, if only in the introduction to the goals and agenda of the session.

For example, having a short discussion about authority and the scholarly review process contributes (in a small way, but it at least raises some understanding) to the development of students critical response to information.  At the same time, it is a good introduction and transition to a practical session on finding scholarly articles.

In what other ways can broader and more theoretical aspects of information literacy have a place in workshops that are designed to be very practical?