Tutorial best practice: Use Livestock

kimbel_cereal.jpgAs many of you know I have fallen head over heels for the Kimbel Library videos and I use them in just about every session I teach.

It just caught my attention that they were selected for PRIMO and hence there is an interview with them on the making of these. They were also at the Library Technology Conference last year, where I began my crush.

Kimbel Library Instructional Videos

http://www.coastal.edu/library/videos/

Interviewees: Joshua Vossler and John Watts

Institution: Coastal Carolina University

Read more: 

The objective was to create videos that students would enjoy, or at least not find aversive. By providing instruction that addressed both the affective domain (through humor) and the cognitive domain (through a multimedia presentation of lecture, text, and diagrams), we hoped students would achieve the cognitive goals of our program without developing negative associations with information literacy, the library, or librarians. Each video was created around two outcomes: One cognitive outcome and one affective outcome. Each video had a different cognitive outcome, but all videos shared the same affective outcome, although that outcome was measured separately for each video.
Kimbel_chickens.jpg

The best practices came from a list that we created:

• One learning outcome per video.
  • Each video should be no more than three minutes.
  • Use as little screen capturing as possible.
  • Use humor.
  • Use livestock.

Well, I know where you can find some livestock.