Recently in Media Literacy Category

"What is the future of owning music and what does it mean for the industry? Nancy Sims, University of Minnesota Libraries' subject specialist on copyright issues, will join The Daily Circuit Monday to discuss music in the digital age. She will be joined by local artists Sean McPherson and Jeremy Messersmith."

NancySimms.jpgSeems like we need to post a little something about about Nancy's article in the Chronicle from a while back...(I don't think we did at the time...)

Seems like a great example of teaching/learning all wrapped up in the national higher ed press...

I've been researching how multimedia is utilized in industry as an effort to better form the narrative of why media skill sets are so critical going forward.  I started at Medtronic and within seconds I stumbled across this article about how they are utilizing the iPad and developing apps for monitoring glucose level in diabetic patients: http://www.medtronic.com/innovation/innovation-stories/apple-ipad.html?cmpid=b_ifl_mdt_11FY13.  In addition to the import of app development, I also noticed they were extolling the virtues of it's ability to synthesize information through info. viz.  Also notice how many times they discuss the value of these tools in quickly accessing critical literature research and general information.  So many levels of literacy here....

Elsewhere, I found this video describing their partnership with Ford on mobile app. development which demonstrates mobile tech., while the presentation incorporates more traditional forms of production (graphics, presentation software): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6NLmrJ67w

It does not take a technologist, media specialist, or librarian to recognize that this media is everywhere and mobile/media development is the future.  I am inspired by the leadership of the LT Media Lab here on campus in promoting mobile app. development, and also very excited about the future having supported, through the Library Media Services/SMART, the innovative ways faculty are integrating student produced media assignments into their classes and their understanding of students needing these skill sets for improved learning experience, civic participation, and future employer demands.

On the horizon:  Faculty increasingly experimenting with these technologies to develop/utilize tools that will provide greater disciplinary insight, real-world application, and communication of their research.

Last month the Twitterverse declared February 23rd to be Bart Simpson's birthday. Being a lifelong Simpsons fan I thought it was odd that I had never celebrated my yellow friends entry into the world before. The website SplitSider tracked down this erroneous birthday in a very interesting post on their site. (http://splitsider.com/2011/02/the-day-twitter-gave-birth-to-bart-simpson/). I will leave the details to their original post but effectively what happened was a global game of telephone. Ultimately the Chicago Tribune, Nexflix, Rolling Stone, and Columbia College Chicago added an air of credibility to this idea. 

I was reading the article for the upcoming Current Issues Coffee Club - March, 23rd - and wondered if a society grounded in information literacy would spontaneously grant birthday's to our fictional friends?

I heart Michael Wesch

"This new media environment can be enormously disruptive to our current teaching methods and philosophies. As we increasingly move toward an environment of instant and infinite information, it becomes less important for students to know, memorize, or recall information, and more important for them to be able to find, sort, analyze, share, discuss, critique, and create information. They need to move from being simply knowledgeable to being knowledge-able." from here

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Media Literacy category.

K-12 Research is the previous category.

Mobile is the next category.

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier