Recently in Presentations Category

Can I find it again? Poster

caniffinditagain.jpg

Can I Find it Again?: Difficulties First Year Students Face When Managing Their Digital Stuff

As we collect and produce a variety of digital materials, organizing and self-archiving them becomes a growing challenge. To better understand how the University Library can support these needs, we asked 500 first-year students during Welcome Week 2012 how they perceive their personal digital needs. They revealed concern about managing music, photos, digital notes, e-books and videos.

The survey results will help inform resources for managing a person's digital life, including photos, music, video, e-mail, digital notes, and e-books. The group plans to address the needs of the entire University community, in addition to first-year students, by building online resources and providing outreach/in-person opportunities for members of the University community to better enable them to manage personal collections that are growing in size and complexity.

Our University president has called on us to consider ways we can enhance our operational excellence by saving time and money while adding efficiency on all levels. This poster will present ways that we can add to people's personal efficiency by guiding them to both tools and practices to assist in organizing their digital lives.

Presenters:
Amy Neeser, Reference Librarian, University Libraries
Lois Hendrickson, Reference Librarian, University Libraries
Lisa Johnson, Research Services Librarian, University Libraries
Jody Kempf, Assistant Librarian, University Libraries

http://www.ofyp.umn.edu/ofypmedia/fyconference/Session-Materials/Poster-Sessions/Can_I_Find_It_Again_Presentation.pdf

Poster season

As we move into poster season, the U Libraries want to share a few resources we have on reating posters for students:

1.) In-person workshops: Creating Posters Using PowerPoint
Getting ready to do a poster for your course or at an upcoming conference? Learn pointers about using PowerPoint to create the poster as one giant slide, and send it to a large-scale printer. Register at https://www.lib.umn.edu/services/workshops/registration:

Tue, 03/26/2013 - 2:30pm - 3:30pm
Location: 310 Walter Library

Wed, 04/03/2013 - 10:00am - 11:00am
Location: 310 Walter Library

2.) Creating Posters in Powerpoint Recorded Workshop

3.) Effective Poster Design Elements and an exercise in which you pretend to be a poster judge

4.) View past student projects
The University Digital Conservancy also has a collection of over 500 posters and paper from UROP 
Here is a link to browse in date order: http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/45101/browse-date

5.) Help with planning
The Assignment Calculator includes a Poster (In PowerPoint).

poster.jpg

scale.jpg

In yesterday's journal club discussion the topic of scaling out post-library instruction session consultations came up.  A hypothetical anxiety was expressed that if we took on some instruction sessions we may find ourselves with a deluge of follow-up consultations and not enough time to meet with everyone and still get all of the other work that we do on a daily basis done.

In the spirit of sharing "innovations" (I use that term loosely) I thought I'd share an approach that I've taken to scale out follow-up interactions in a large freshman seminar where I give a library presentation each semester to biomedical engineering students.

• Leverage the Peer Research Consultants.  When schedules permit I bring a Peer Research Consultant to the session with me and have them give a short introduction to what they do.  If they can't come then I promote them myself.   It usually takes about two minutes and highlights a service that can be somewhat hard to locate on our website.
  • Share with *anyone* who will listen.  When I see that the date of the presentation is coming up I send the research tips that I usually offer to students in follow-up individual consultations to everyone that will listen.  I share the instructions with the peer research consultants, with our reference desk, and our circulation team at Walter Library. That way if a student happens to wander in (regardless of whether the reference desk is open) they, hopefully, will be able to get some level of advice.
  • Utilize the Library Course Page.  I realized that the question I was getting the most often regarded determining whether or not an article was from a peer reviewed resource.  So I put together a tutorial that would walk students through the determination process.  I also linked to my presentation slides and handout so students could re-visit what I covered.

The result of these actions is not an absence of individual consultations (I wouldn't want it to be), but it does reduce the number of emails and meetings for minor questions and leaves me time to focus on the real stick wickets of research blocks.  These methods may not work for every class...but thought I'd throw them out there as possible jumpstarts to other solutions for concerns about a deluge of post-class consults...there are ways going forward that don't rely on only the time of a single liaison.

Image "post office scale 5" from donovanbeeson on Flickr.  CC.

I was poking around and found this..Scopus--what is it?

And then realized there is a whole channel of videos:
-including stuff on the iphone app, impact factor and for journal editors....

Seems like these might be interesting to incorporate into teaching sessions. Below are some stats which are certainly impressive to me from a user's perspective:
  • Contains 46 million records, 70% with abstracts
  • Nearly 19,500 titles from 5,000 publishers worldwide
  • Includes over 4.6 million conference papers
  • Provides 100% Medline coverage
  • Interoperability with Reaxys, a unique chemistry workflow solution
    Learn more
  • Offers sophisticated tools to track, analyze and visualize research

What do you think? Do other databases have this sort of promo stuff?

Millennials

TEDxSF - Scott Hess - Millennials: Who They Are & Why We Hate Them Interesting watch. 

This was one of my favorite parts: apple_attributes.jpg 

There is also a metaphor about the Library...

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Presentations category.

Orientation is the previous category.

Primary Research is the next category.

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier