Recently in Visual Literacy Category

I will now blog a tweet I saw on Facebook....oh yeah!

FB_posters.jpg

Here are the links

and also just added them to: https://www.lib.umn.edu/instruction/tutorials

I can see lots of potential for in class and out of class work. This would be an interesting way to extend a one-shot by having this as before or after work. Please share with faculty members or folks you know who do posters.
I've been researching how multimedia is utilized in industry as an effort to better form the narrative of why media skill sets are so critical going forward.  I started at Medtronic and within seconds I stumbled across this article about how they are utilizing the iPad and developing apps for monitoring glucose level in diabetic patients: http://www.medtronic.com/innovation/innovation-stories/apple-ipad.html?cmpid=b_ifl_mdt_11FY13.  In addition to the import of app development, I also noticed they were extolling the virtues of it's ability to synthesize information through info. viz.  Also notice how many times they discuss the value of these tools in quickly accessing critical literature research and general information.  So many levels of literacy here....

Elsewhere, I found this video describing their partnership with Ford on mobile app. development which demonstrates mobile tech., while the presentation incorporates more traditional forms of production (graphics, presentation software): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6NLmrJ67w

It does not take a technologist, media specialist, or librarian to recognize that this media is everywhere and mobile/media development is the future.  I am inspired by the leadership of the LT Media Lab here on campus in promoting mobile app. development, and also very excited about the future having supported, through the Library Media Services/SMART, the innovative ways faculty are integrating student produced media assignments into their classes and their understanding of students needing these skill sets for improved learning experience, civic participation, and future employer demands.

On the horizon:  Faculty increasingly experimenting with these technologies to develop/utilize tools that will provide greater disciplinary insight, real-world application, and communication of their research.

springer_vis.jpgHere is a link to a brief write up on some new tools created by Springer. The tools visualize in real time the use of Springer resources. Pretty cool site. I wonder what this would look like for some of our most heavily used databases.

I recently watched the Blended Librarians Webinar, "Collaborating With Faculty on IL Instruction: Using Visual Methods to Enhance Student Learning" about a sociology professor and librarian at Indiana University who created an assignment on creating concept maps and drawing connections with the literature they found in the class. Helped for students to think about organizing information and evaluating.

Here are a couple of examples and stuff that came up in the discussion:
infographic.jpg27+ Beautiful Examples of Infographics
"Infographics refers to visual representations of information, data or knowledge. These graphics are used where complex information needs to be explained quickly and clearly, such as in signs, maps, journalism, technical writing, and education."

Sketchcast
"Record a sketch with or without voice. Explain something, have fun, or create art."

Visual Understanding Environment
Open Source project based at Tufts University. The VUE project is focused on creating flexible tools for managing and integrating digital resources in support of teaching, learning and research. VUE provides a flexible visual environment for structuring, presenting, and sharing digital information.

TED Talks: Hans Rosling shows the best stats you've ever seen

Visual Literacy: Monthly Archives

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Visual Literacy category.

Undergraduate Research is the previous category.

Workshops is the next category.

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier