December 12, 2008

Woman's Body Found in Mississippi River Was Identified

The Pioneer Press article said that the Hennepin County medical examiner said the body of a woman recovered in Mississippi River had been identified. The woman is a 39-year-old Edina woman, Lisa Gustincic. The medican examiner said Gustincic died from accidental drowning. A witness reported at about 2 p.m. Tuesday that there was a dog was hovering over an area of open water. Gustincic’s body was pulled out of Mississippi River at 8p.m. Sheriff's office Water Patrol divers searched for Gustincic for about four hours.

The StarTribune article said that the body was found 8 feet under water and 125 feet from shore. The witness reported to the authority to report a black Labrador retriever running near the Camden Bridge, Minneapolis, at around 2 p.m. The dog was looking over a hole in ice. The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office Water Patrol used sonar technology to search for Gustincic. Hennepin County sheriff's spokeswoman Lisa Kiava said that said the authorities were not sure the reason led Gustincic fell into the river, but they thought she might be running after the dog on ice.

December 6, 2008

New Hope Woman Third Olest of the World

The StarTribune article said that Catherine Hagel of New Hope became the third-oldest documented person in the world on Wednesday. Hagel turned 114 on Friday. Hagel lived alone in the family farmhouse in Rogers before age 100. She moved in the Minnesota Masonic Home North Ridge in New Hope 14 years ago. According to the Gerontololgy Research Group in California and the Guinness World Records, Hagel was the seventh-oldest person in the world and the third-oldest American.

The MN Sun Newspapers article was a feature story. The article said that Hagel is the oldest of Minnesota, the second of the U.S. and the third of the world. Hagel grew up in Dayton but lived most of her live on her farm in Rogers. Hagel's sister-in-law, Delvina Dahlheimer, lived for 113 years. Hagel has 11 children and nine surviving, and she also has 35 grandchildren, 58 great-grandchildren and 20 great-great grandchildren.

November 30, 2008

Driven-by Car Shot Two Men at Minneapolis

The Pioneer Press article said that one man was dead another one was injured in a car after a car pulled up and someone fired shots into their car. According to the news release from the Minneapolis police, the victim’s car was stopped at an intersection at around 3 a.m. Saturday when the other car pulled up and someone in there fired shots. One person died at the scene and the other was sent to North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale. The survivor was injured but was not life-threatened. The police said that the victim’s car drove about two blocks before it crashed into a house. No one has been arrested in this case.

The StarTribune article said that it was the second shooting death on the 1400 block of Dowling Avenue within three days. Police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia said the two cases were not related and they were coincidence. The surviving victim tried to escape from the car left a trail of blood in front of the house their car crashed into. Police had cordoned off several blocks around the crime scene for investigation. The victims’ names were not released. At the same area, Jermaine Alvert Hudson was found shot to death about midnight Wednesday at Folwell Park apartments. No one has been arrested for the two cases.

November 19, 2008

15-year-old Boy Shot to Dead

In the StartTribune article, Jacob MacKenzie, 15, a sophomore of Guadalupe Alternative Programs, St. Paul, was shot to dead in his house Sunday. The suspect, Alfredo Gutierrez-Gonzales, 19, was an acquaintance of MacKenzie. Gutierrez-Gonzales’s girlfriend, Jayna Emerson, 17, was MacKenzie’s cousin. Emerson came out and said an appeal for her boyfriend to return Monday. Emerson said that Gutierrez-Gonzales was a "great boyfriend." According to police spokesman Peter Panos, Gutierrez-Gonzales had a juvenile criminal record in Ramsey County, but he had no details.

The Pioneer Press article was more about MacKenzie’s personality. MacKenzie got his first job at Trail of Terror in Shakopee and he was happy to get his first paycheck. MacKenzie’s home was at 582 Concord St. on the city's West Side. MacKenzie lived in the house with his mother, grandmother and his 17-year-old sister. His mother, Michelle Olson, said they always had good relationship. Olson said he was an intimate boy, who used to stay up to wait for her getting off from work. Besides MacKenzie’s family, the article included some information about this crime.
Panos said that is being treated as a homicide. The motivation of the suspect is unknown and the police are still looking for the suspected shooter. According to the police, MacKenzie died at the scene.

November 12, 2008

Dodger Center Man Shot Wife and Stabbed Son

In the Pioneer Press article, thirty-three-year-old Ismael Bugarin is charged with killing his wife and 12-year-old son and trying to kill his two daughters. The Dodger Center man is charged with two second-degree murders and two attempted murders. Bugarin and his wife, Teresa, had an argument after going back home from an outing. Teresa told Bugarin that she wanted a divorce. Bugarin shot Teresa and tried to stab his children with a knife. His son, "Nick" Bugarin, tried to stop his father from stabbing his sisters and died in a neighbor's doorway from knife wounds. The girls are 8 and 5 had suffered knife wounds and released from hospital. Ismael Bugarin remains under guard at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester.

The StarTribune article said according to the charges, when the children heard Teresa scream for help, they ran to the back of the home. They saw their father was pinning their mother on the ground. Then Bugarin shot Teresa. The children tried to flee but Bugarin pursued after them. Nick fought back to his father and stabbed his father. He gave his sisters had a chance to run to the home of neighbors.

November 8, 2008

Lakeville Sisters Hospitalized In Car Crash

The StarTribune article said that two Lakeville high school sisters injured in an automobile-pickup truck crash in their neighborhood and still hospitalized on Friday. Kayla Jo Borgerson, 17, was in critical condition. She was a senior at Lakeville South High School. Her sister Katie, 15, a passenger and a sophomore at Lakeville South High School, was in serious condition. The crashed happened around 6 p.m. Wednesday when the car Kayla Jo was driving collided with a pickup truck that Brandon Pekel, 25, was driving at the intersection of Juniper Path and 205th Avenue S. Vision obscurement, weather and alcohol played a factor, according to Lakeville Police Chief Tom Vonhof.

The Pioneer Press article said that Kayla Jo Borgerson suffered life-threatening injuries. Katie Borgerson is expected to recover. Vonhof said the result of the investigation seemed like Kayla Jo “pulled right in front of? the pick-up truck. The truck smashed into the driver's side of the Toyota Camry the sisters were driving. Pekel had minor injuries and had been treated at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville and released. The authorities do not know whether the sisters were wearing seat belts during the crash.

November 1, 2008

Siblings Arrested for Suspect of Killing Andover Man

In the StarTribune report, the younger brother and sister of a missing Andover man were arrested for suspecting of killing their older brother. The two siblings were accused for killing and burning their brother for dispute of inheritance. Andrew T. Hawes, 36, and Elizabeth M. Hawes, 43, were in the Anoka County jail Friday on suspicion of second-degree murder of their older brother, Edwin C. Hawes, 46. Kristina Dorniden, 29, girlfriend of Andrew Hawes, was also arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder and was put in jail. The siblings were fighting for a home in Robbinsdale valued at about $180,000 owned by their 97-year-old grandmother.

In the Pioneer Press report, authorities believed remains discovered burning in a fire pit early Friday to be Edwin C. Hawes, 46. Edwin Hawes’s roommate reported him missing for two days Thursday afternoon after finding blood in the driveway of his home. Authorities found bad blood between the siblings. Andrew Hawes was arrested and charged with an assault-related crime recently in Minneapolis for allegedly trying to run over Edwin Hawes. Edwin Hawes also had an order for protection against his younger brother and sister this summer.

October 21, 2008

Shots Near New Hope High School

The Pioneer Press article reported three people were arrested by the police a shooting incident outside Robbinsdale Cooper High School in New Hope.

According to the New Hope Police Department, the shots happened during Monday night and early Tuesday morning. The shots were from a house across from one of the school's athletic fields.

The school went into lockdown about 7 a.m. The police gave the all-clear at around 7:38 a.m.

Police arrested one 24-year-old woman and two men, 18-year-old and 19-year-old.

The StarTibune article said that it took the West Metro SWAT Team several hours to arrest two men and a woman in the house on the 8100 block of 49th Avenue N.

Police said that there were three rounds of shootings. At least three shots were fired at about 3:55 a.m. Tuesday for the first time. The second round came at 4:21 a.m., and a third round at 5:35 a.m.

No one was hurt and the motivation of the gunfire was not clear. The school remained in modified lockdown for the remainder of the day.

October 18, 2008

KFAN Co-host Arrested

The Pioneer Press reported that Jeff Dubay, the co-host of KFAN-AM 1130 radio show was arrested Wednesday evening in Maplewood for possessing a controlled substance, which is a felony. Dubay was arrested near English Street and Minnesota 36. He was booked into the Ramsey County jail just after 11 p.m and was released without charges pending further investigation.

According to StarTribune article, Dubay was driving west on state Hwy. 36, turned north onto English Street in Maplewood, according to Police Chief David Thomalla. The police officers did not provide details because the investigation was still ongoing. And they hoped to finish the investigation by next week. Dubay co-hosts the "PA and Dubay Show" with Paul Allan, co-hosts Vikings post-game shows on KFAN, and also Gophers hockey games on FSN North. He had not been on air after Wednesday. Mike Crusham, president and market manager for Clear Channel Minneapolis, which owns KFAN, did not want to make comment on personnel issues within the company.

October 10, 2008

St. Paul Native Goes On Her 2nd Spaceflight

In the Pioneer Press report, Heidi Stefanyshyn-Piper, a St. Paul native, due to fly on the shuttle Endeavour 's mission to the International Space Station on Nov. 14.

This will be Stefanyshyn-Piper’s second spaceflight. He first mission was in 2006 and she made two spacewalks during the 12-day mission. Stefanyshyn-Piper was the first woman from Minnesota to walk in space.

In the Endeavour’s mission, she will make three space walks during the 15-day mission

StarTribune report said that the Endeavour’s mission was scheduled for Nov. 16 for a nighttime launch from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, but moved two days earlier because of the delay of shuttle Atlantis' Oct. 14 blastoff.

Stefanyshyn-Piper has four brothers and grew up in St. Paul. She graduated in 1980 from Derham Hall High School. Her mother, Adelheid Stefanyshyn, still lives in St. Paul.

October 3, 2008

Three Died from Carbon Monoxide in Minneapolis

Two men and a 14-year-old boy died in a house in north Minneapolis from carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday night. The Pioneer Press report was only four paragraphs.

Police received the call around 6:30 p.m. Two men died in the house and the boy died in at Hennepin County Medical Center. The boy was the son of one of the men.

Police spokesman Jesse Garcia said that the home owner found the three victims when he went to check the house. The victims were occupying the house illegally.

The electricity, gas and water had been turned off in the past couple of days, Garcia said.

Under a new effected law this summer required all homes to have carbon monoxide detector. Authorities cautioned that gas generators should never be used inside a structure.

The StartTribune had a more detailed report.

Friends of the victims identified them as Harold Barnett and Raymond Carr. The 14-year-old boy was Terrell Barnett.

The house they occupied was on Girard Ave. N. in Minneapolis. Harold Barnett, 44, had moved into a house located on the corner of Girard and 17th Avenues N., a few months ago, said his friend John Baker.

Barnett was having financial difficulties. His gas and electricity had been shut off despite he tried to maintain his account, so he had to resort to using the generator, Baker said.

Neighbors and family members gathered together making a large prayer circle that stretched across the street.

City Council Member Don Samuels, who represents the North Side, said that there is help available for families who can't afford to heat their homes.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, which is produced when fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen within minutes. Headaches, nausea and fatigue are early symptoms.

September 28, 2008

Fifth Somali Murder from December in Cedar-Riverside Area

In the Pioneer Press report, Ahmed Nur Ali, a 20-year-old sophomore at Augsburg College, was murdered on Monday.

Ali was shot a little after 5 p.m. after he left from his first day working in the Brian Coyle Community Center in Minneapolis' Cedar-Riverside neighborhood. He died at the scene.

Minneapolis police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Garcia III said that they had no idea of the motivation and they needed witnesses.

"The police are pretty clear this was the intended victim," Minneapolis City Council Member Cam Gordon said. "There was more than one bullet, (at) close range."

According to Mohamed Sallam, director of the school's Pan-Afrikan Center, Ali was a soft-spoken person and "wasn't interested in being noticed."

Ali was a 06’ Freshmen who had interest in studying political science and international relations, Sallam said. "He was strong in his faith."

A simple Muslim funeral on Tuesday afternoon at Abukhadra Masjid, Columbia Heights, was held for Ali.

Ali was the third was killed in the Cedar-Riverside area since April.

Some people complained about police let Ali’s body uncovered at the scene for hours and allowing passers-by to see it.

"The way the police handled it was as if it was some gang-related shooting," Addis Fetto, a friend of Ali's and a student at the University of Minnesota, said. "It wasn't. Everybody loved him. He was a good student."

Garcia said that the police did their best to shield the victim’s body.

"Once you start covering the body, you start adding additional tainted items in there," he said. "It's best to leave the body out there uncovered. You've got to leave it uncovered, untouched, and let the medical examiner and forensic people come in and start doing their job. With all due respect to the victim and his family, we are not trying to take anything away from them."

The StarTribune report was a follow-up story on Thursday.

Several hundreds of Somalis gathered at the Brian Coyle Community Center on Thursday to ask the authorities and their members to help to solve recent Somali homicide.

Ali was the fifth Somali killed in the city since December. The Somalis were angry at the police did not solve the murders and tried to get away from it.

"We have to have witnesses," Police Chief Tim Dolan said. "Police cannot solve this by themselves. Police didn't do this, but we need your help. Bring that rage home and have somebody come forward to police or to community leaders who can help them come forward."

September 21, 2008

Boyfriend Arrested for Suspicion of Biker's Death

In the Star Tribune report, 28-year-old Natasha Waalen’s deadly motorcycle crash might not be an accident. Her 33-year-old boyfriend was arrested for suspicion of killing Waalen.

A passerby found Waalen’s body lying near by a motorcycle in the 16800 block of Tulip Street NW in Andover early Friday morning.

Police said it was like an “unfortunate accident.?

But the wound on Waalen’s injuries led police to think that it was not as simple as an accident.

A news release issued Saturday said that there were “multiple factors are not consistent with a motor vehicle accident.''

Waalen’s boyfriend, father of her 4-year-old daughter, was arrested less than 24 hours after she died. He was booked into the Anoka County Jail on Friday. There will be a charging decision by the Anoka County Attorney's office next week.

Jeff Waalen, Natasha Waalen’s father, said that it was hard to accept. "It would be easier for me to believe something else than thinking it was the guy she had known for 10 years."

Jeff Waalen said that there’s a man had recently threatened to kill his daughter over a potential lawsuit. He had said that he suspected this man instead of his daughter’s boyfriend. “They're barking up the wrong tree," he said.

Pioneer Press reported that this motorcycle accident it's now being called a murder.

This report said the name Natasha Waalen’s boyfriend was Ryan Boland. They lived together with their daughter at 816 Adams St. in Anoka.

The neighbors were shocked by the news.

“This sort of thing just doesn't happen. It's just very hard to take in," next-door neighbor Valorie Burke said.?

Burke said that both Waalen and Boland were very quiet. "I think the thing most neighbors had observed in the last year, if one was home, the other one wasn't. You just didn't see them together."

Burke said that Natasha Waalen was a trained acupuncturist who worked with disabled adults. Boland was recently employed by a construction company.

According to vehicle registration records, Waalen owned a motorcycle, but it was not sure the one that was found near by her body was hers.

September 14, 2008

New I-35 Bridge Under Construction

St. Paul Pioneer Press covered on Saturday of the new Interstate 35W bridge construction is almost done.

The new I-35W bridge cost $234 million dollars. There were more than 300 sensors on the bridge, so engineers got instant feedback of the bridge’s performance.

Project manager for Minnesota Department of Transportation Jon Chiglo said: “It's safe to say this is one of the more- or most-instrumented bridges in the nation."

MnDOT and the University of Minnesota will monitor and analyze the information from the sensors through Fiber-optic cables.

All the new technologies that are used to build the new bridge are not widespread across the nation, but they “will help MnDOT keep a close eye on the bridge.?

And the bridge will be finished a month earlier than Dec. 24th, the original completion day of the project.

The old I-35W bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River on Aug. 1, 2007 and killed 13 people and 145 were injured. The major factor might be the gusset plates, which were used to hold the steel beams of the bridge together were too short.

This story in Star Tribune was like a feature news. It started a scene-setter leads.

The speed of rebuilding this bridge is astonishing. Cranes, trucks and other kinds of equipments and the crew are working and making all kind of sounds to have the new bridge be completed. This construction started from the end of 2007, one day after Halloween.